Why do some adults treat kids like they're idiotic?

What's so hard abut taking advice from someone younger then you?
No offense but some adults are moronic.

Most Helpful Guy

• It can be hard for some people to receive advice, no matter how sound, if the person giving the advice has no experience in the area that they are giving advice in. It's similar to a female telling a male how to cope with getting kicked in the balls and a method for getting rid of the pain quicker. The female doesn't have balls so why should I listen to her? It's that kind of mindset. Chances are, the female got the advice from another guy but failed to mention that to the guy she is giving advice too so the guy that is receiving the advice thinks that she came up with that all on her own... and since she doesn't have balls and knows that it works from personal experience then the guy may treat her like the advice that she gave was idiotic. For certain individuals it may be superiority complex, but generally speaking, I think it really comes down to the child lacking in personal experience. Sometimes the child has experience. . . but because the experience that they have isn't common for someone their age, the adult assumes that the child has no experience because experience for someone of that age is rare. Sometimes giving good advice has nothing to do with personal experience (whether they've experienced themselves or heard about the advice from someone that has personal experience), but it's always easier to take advice from someone that has personal experience than someone that doesn't.

• "Actually it does. Because I can use my wisdom to avoid situations."

Yes, you can use your wisdom to avoid situations, but your mom teaching you these things isn't giving you wisdom. It's giving you knowledge. There's a difference between using your wisdom to avoid situations and your mom giving you knowledge about said situations. You acquire wisdom through knowledge, experience, and good judgement. Your mom can teach you all you need to know, but it's still up to you to use good judgement. Part of that wisdom is also determining if what your mom is teaching you is sound advice. This is where the experience comes in. When you experience something yourself you can know for a fact whether the advice that was given to you is sound or if it wasn't sound. It would be wise to listen to more than just your moms teachings on what adults and females go through. This way you have a plethora of personal experiences to pull from and not just one. Knowledge is part of wisdom but it isn't wisdom

What Guys Said 17

• Plain and simple, most kids are idiots.
    Have you come across Cipher on this site? She's an under 18 that is well respected. You can tell by the way she articulates her thoughts that she is intelligent. If you present yourself as somebody with an opinion actually worth hearing, people will respect you, regardless of age.

• this guy gets it

• I've seen you call someone the b word. We all have skeletons in the closetl

• I've called a lot of people a lot of things. Your point?

• There are plenty of smart kids, you're just not one of them.

You do this the moment anyone disagrees with you or tries to enlighten you about something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3mxVjB4aqI

You want people to listen to your opinion, but you don't want to listen to other people's opinion. Adults don't do that. Little kids do.

And apparently you think you think you're some kind of boss when you have barely any kind of life experience. I doubt you've ever bought your own house, I doubt you've ever studied any other religion besides Christianity, I doubt you've ever lived in a third world country and discovered what real hardship is.

Like, what do you know? You're not a boss. You're not tough. You're just a young kid who has lived in a cave her whole life and thinks she knows the world.

• Also, why would you deactivate an account just to activate another one a few hours later? Makes no sense.

• Ahh it's a long story Panzer.

I could link you the GAG questions she's asked earlier under another name but, long story short she's just this really ignorant girl that needs to be put in her place.

Like, I've met plenty of young, intelligent, open minded and thoughtful people under the age of 18, but sad to say this girl just isn't one of them. The sad thing about it all is that she thinks she's intelligent, which is scary, hence me having to step in.

• Says the adult who keeps who drops down to the 'immature' little girls level. It's sad you have nothing to do but stalk a teenage girls post and harrass her.
      Also of course if you insult God, we're not gonna be the best friends.
      That's like a slap n the face. Also you're very irreverent.

• It's probably just the way they were raised. Some were raised with that ideology that only older people knew what was best. Might also be that our generation is widely known for being full of douches and idiots, so some adults tend to judge teens/kids based on previous experiences or on what they've heard around. It's never a good reason to treat someone in a certain way because of their age, but some people think age and maturity are related, though they're totally different things.

• It's got nothing to do with the adults being moronic and everything to do with a lack of humility on their part, many adults tend to believe that people under 18 have nothing intelligent to say on anything that concerns them, true humility/maturity comes from realizing that answer's to life's problems can come from anyone and anywhere. Contrary to popular belief listening is a trait that both younger AND older generations struggle with.

• If there's one reason for it, it's because I remember when I was 9, 13, 16, 19, 20.
    I remember how I always thought I was right about everything.
    I can also see in retrospect how wrong I was about most things and how stupid some of the things I thought were.

That's just how it is, this makes you less likely to expect proper advice from someone who is more likely to have less valid information on a given subject.
    Of course, you should still take all perspectives into consideration. I try to do that as long as it makes sense on some level.

• I'm not you. Lol. I've been around this Earth for a while.

• My mom has been around longer then you, that's where I get all my advice. Even MST of my answers.

• Well, that is not surprising. I'm only 22.

• If I was still 16, I'd agree with all the under 18's here, but I'm 22 now and so I will says this. Between 13-17 we are all complete idiots. We say and do stupid shit. My dad constantly yelled at me and now i realize why he did it. You're the one being an idiot at this very moment, when you get older you'll see

• I don't get into trouble. My elderly love me so...

• I'm not saying that. I had a good head on my shoulders and my parents were still tough on me. Like I said, in a few years you'll appreciate it

• I don't think she's talking about parents being tough, I think she's saying she dislikes her opinion being discredited because of her age

• Because one they where teenagers everyone told them they where idiots and believed. Now that they're older the promote the same idea because they where unable to challenge it when they where teenagers. Its just a horrible cycle.

• They like to believe that they're more intelligent than you which isn't necessarily true. My little brother is sixteen years old, and he's got his shit together more than any adult than I know. He's always been a very old soul and wise beyond his years.

• I meant to thumbs up. I don't want you to think I'm being puerile. Sorry.
      But yeah you're right. I also have an old soul. I can feel it. Lol

• Ummm... because they are.

• Older people (than me) tend to be more credible to me than people younger (than me). Simple as that.

I've grown up with the mentally: respect your elders.

A lot of young kids these days don't abide by that rule such as my sister for instance.

• If you want people to be deferential towards you. You have to be to them. I've seen very immature grown ups. Just because someone's an adult doesn't mean I'm gonna like them or respect them.
      There are grown ups who rape, kill, sell drugs, and etc. What do you think about those adults?
      Also if you listened to everything an adult told you, you would be pretty messed up,
      I give respect to people who deserve respect such as- my parents', my teachers, friends etc.

• Not for nothing but me and pretty much all of my peers were total idiots when I was a teenager.

• because most of them are?

• You're upset about people thinking you're idiotic, so you call them moronic? Ironic, huh? Sometimes older people can have their judgement clouded by their experience.

• Well, less life experience, less schooling, generally less maturity. Not saying that all adults are smarter than all kids, but generally speaking, kids don't always have the best ideas.

• Actually I have a lot of schooling :p

• I was speaking generally, and like I said, it's also a matter of life experience, maturity, etc.

• Don't let me age fool you. I've had lots of life expeirnce. I know I have a lot of maturing to do. But AI'm still ahead of most teenagers.

• It's just a superiority complex response. I mean, they're supposedly more experienced, etc.

• Just because someone's expeirnced doesn't make them smarter. I'm bkt expeirnced. I'm smarter then other people. Why? Because I listen to good advice, no matter what they age a person it. That's how you avoid most things in life that aren't so good.

• Naturally, I would hate to talk to someone who's rude or offensive towards me.

So I take these adults are simply rude towards you without allowing proper mature discussion despite you trying to initiate it? In that case, yes. These adults are being ignorant and acting moronic themselves, though I'm not necessarily saying they *are* less knowledgeable just yet. Just merely a poor attitude.

And I wouldn't make that blanket statement over all adults.

• I said some. It's funny how people didn't see the some I put.

• A lot of the kids in my hs were pretty slow... It highly depends on the subject at hand imo.

What Girls Said 3

• have noticed that the worst advice and generally the dumbest posts on here are mostly by users who are older than 18. One of the smartest and most rational users on here (in my opinion) is actually under 18.

• it's me isn't it, i'm the most rational under 18? jk there are a bunch of people smarter and more rational than I am

• @mrrapperguy:
      Since I have no idea who you are, I'm afraid I wasn't referring to you. Haha.

• awww man, oh well

• if the advice/opinion makes good sense and is helpful if you follow it, and they don't accept it because of your age, then that's ageism.

• well we don't all take the advice were given in general despite age. but i'm assuming they wouldn't take advice from you based on less experience in life regarding your age. Makes sense but don't take it personal just be mature about it.

• Um. Not really. Just because someone's older doesn't mean they're more smarter or mature.

• You can have no personal experience and be schooled about something and have as much knowledge on how to handle certain situations as someone who has personal experience, but by going through something yourself allows you to create your own personal take on the situation. The advice that someone gave you could be great advice but it doesn't work for you. It may work for most people, but it doesn't work for you. So, you can then come up with your own solution on how to handle a certain situation and when you give someone else advice you can not only give them the advice that didn't work for you but worked for others but also give them advice on what worked for you.

Your mom teaching you these things doesn't give you wisdom. It gives you knowledge. Just like going to school doesn't make someone wise, it helps them become more knowledgeable.

• Actually it does. Because I can use my wisdom to avoid situations.