Is it okay to date somebody if you know you will eventually break up with them?

I have no dating experience and there is this very smart and good looking guy that I know who has basically the personality of dry toast. I thought maybe I could date him and get him to teach me how to cook and drive a car since I need to learn those things. Then break up with him. I know he's just not my type and he's good enough for me now but one I change myself I will be too good for him and will be able to date somebody better than him.

Most Helpful Guy

• no that's not ok and you know what? You'll probably find a guy treats you the same way one day, karma's like that. Don't do it.

What Guys Said 9

• I don't think it is. You'd be better off just asking him to teach you those things rather than to lead him on like that.

• It can be good for 1 night stand but eventually going to be painful to you if you fall in love with him.

• Nope. I would have dounts if i were u. Also if i really care about my relationship. Afterall, guys get in relationship juz to get laid and nothing more.

• Yes, I would say that is NOT okay. Your literally just using him.

• No, you'd just be getting his hopes up. He deserves someone better than you if you're going to do that..

• I would date a girl who I know I or she will eventually break up only if sex was involved.

• that's basically using him
    Unless he agree on that

• Well if you need to justify it to yourself my advice would be to think of it as experience/practice. Everyone benefits from experience (and if he is as you describe, he's probably just as lacking in it as you say you are), so you could both potentially gain from it the long term. (I'm considering something similar.)

• Of course it is. 99% of all dating relationships end in break up.

What Girls Said 7

• that's not nice to use someone like that. if he's not a bad guy other than the fact that he's boring then he deserves better than to be used. besides at your age, not knowing how to cook or drive? ur presumptuous to assume u even have that option of dropping him and "doing better"

• You can't just use people like that, that's seriously not fair on him, or on you. That's pretty low, he'd be getting his hopes up and you'd only be using him, that's pretty cold. Find a guy you wanna be with, and NOT just so you could use him, and if you're lucky he'll probably teach you. Either that, or do it the old fashioned way and get lessons. Never use people

• You realize there are such things as cooking lessons (or videos/tutorials/books online if you don't wanna pay) and you should learn how to drive with a specialist, not just anyone. It's not ok to just use people. The guy could get his hopes up, thinking he might actually have a good relationship, when in fact you just need a "tutorial book" to help you learn stuff and move on.

• nope... hurts too much:(

• That's kind of like using him... I suppose it may be ok if you tell him exactly what your intentions are... or if you enter a relationship and you let the person know you don't want something long term or serious and are free to date other people...

• why don't you just be his friend first, that'll save you all the problems. No one will gets hurt and in the same time, u can look for someone better.

• I would ask him if he wants to be friends and if he will teach you those things as a friend. Maybe you can teach him things too? Can you think of something you know that he might find interesting? Or a gift he has been wanting for a while. See if you can make an exchange of skills or trade skills for stuff.
    IF HE HAS A CRUSH ON YOU- don't do this. He will obviously say yes to get close to you but you will still be breaking his heart in the end.