How long do guys wait to text a girl?

This is gonna sound really impatient and overthinking... how long do guys wait to text a girl?

So I really like this guy and felt like he liked me back and have been trying to figure a way to start something with him. 2 nights ago he walked me home from the local bar and when we got to my house we stood outside talking for a little bit and I plucked up the courage to ask him if he'd like to get together sometime and he seemed happy and said yes asked for my phone number and said he'd text soon, hugged me and kissed my cheek.

Now my problem is that im an impatient person.. he didn't text the next day and hasn't text yet on the second day and I can't help but take his silence as a sign of disinterest and in light of that I can feel myself losing interest in him.

I know that im looking into this way too much but its one of my first attempts to start with a guy since ending a 4 year relationship last year, I have no idea how dating rules work! If you like someone dont you just text them? I just know that the longer he leaves it the more I withdraw my feelings from it because I feel rejected. If he leaves it a week say, I know ill have already shut down on him by then and won't even care anymore.

So my question is, how long do people normally wait for contact before deciding its a lost cause? Guys, how long do you wait to contact a girl and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• he could be following the 3 day rule. the reason guys do this is because it gives him time to clear his head and get all the stupid shit he would've wanted to text to you right away off his chest so that he won't scare you away when he finally does text you after 3 days. and it also makes him not look clingy/desperate.

What Guys Said 4

• It's actually not that problematic as you think it is. I don't understand how females think, but for us boys, when we finally decide to text a girl we like, it's going to like this. "Oh... I remember this number now. Holy shit I forgot to text her, I should probably do that after I'm done with (whatever the hell he could be doing), then the next few hours we completely forget. Boys are not intelligent creatures girl, you have to constantly remind boys about things otherwise we'll just forget.

• Just relax. If that date went well a couple of nights ago, then im sure he will call.

Give it one more day.

• Always give a few days just to see. If no reply, touch base with him to see if there was something that came up. If nothing did, then assume he was just not as interested so you are best to move on.

• I don't like playing games so I usually contact within 2 days. You should probably wait around a week before giving up, some guys leave it this long for some reason...

What Girls Said 1

• Some straight away others a few days later - depends on the guy