Guys why do you always start a conversation with "you're beautiful" or something like it?

Why do guys on dating sites think sending a message about how beautiful or gorgeous a girl is it will make them want to respond. It's not that I don't like the complements but I just don't like that none of them are original enough to think of ANYTHING else to say. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I know not all guys do, anyway why do some guys (the majority of the ones messaging me) do this?
Girls am I the only one who finds this slightly irritating?

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys are conditioned to tell women things to make them happy. They feel that compliments will get them further. I am about to sound like an ass but women need more compliments than men do. If a man doesn't notice changes in hair, clothes, makeup etc. It can upset a woman. Men don't crave it as much. Not that we don't like compliments, hell it boosts our egos but we don't need it.

What Guys Said 5

• If they don't know you, what else could they say? All they know is your looks. "Hey baby, I really appreciate your knowledge of quantum physics!"

I get that it's hacky and cliche. Hot chicks know they're hot... but what would be a good opening line?

• There are such things as hi, how are you? or "hey, I'm ___, wanna be friends?" stuff like that. Or I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who thinks these are better to start a conversation haha

• My profile tells them I love animals - that I love sailing - I love writing - I love reading. So from that you can chose four topics but I'll only give one example. Since it says on my profile that I'm trying to write a novel a guy sent me "Hey, do you mind me asking what your book is about?" And that set the path right for an awesome conversation.

• By they way, you're beautiful.

• I wouldn't do it, but it could see why it happens.
    Some women put about 2 lines of description in their profile, and they don't have much more than a photo. What else is there to talk about?

• mine has two paragraphs about myself. :/

• Why not date meh instead? Im right infront of u ;D

• I don't approach girls online, however if a guy says that he is trying to make a good first impression and if a guy doesn't compliment you it might seem like he isn't interested

• But at the same time it seems like all they want are your looks when they do that - Sure complements are awesome, and I love them it's just they send it and then not actually talk about anything else.

• I love complements though - I just hate when that's all I get and when I try to start a conversation it goes back to complementing me. I don't understand it and it doesn't leave much room to get to know each other- I'm not drop dead gorgeous or anything, just average.

• I try to get to kno the girl beside pay compliments

• Ok, do you reply to the guys who call you beautiful?

• I do, I figure I might as well get to know them before grouping them all together.

• There you go then, an opening line that works, so why wouldn't they say it?

• well yeah but seriously can't just one guy say something else? like ask me if i like puppies or something? ):

What Girls Said 1

• I ignore guys like that. I don't want you to like me for my looks, but my personality and characteristics.

• I still respond to them to give them a chance to show me who they are.