Would any type of guy actually be attracted to an awkward girl?

I'm possibly one of the most awkward girls ever.

I know most guys wouldn't be into a girl like me.
I'm very... odd. Just a kiss to me is a huge deal. If a guy tries to kiss me, I almost act... scared? I don't know.. it's a bit difficult to explain my reaction.

If a guy shows interest in me, or if I find a guy attractive... unlike most girls who would smile kindly and approach, I... avoid their gaze at all costs, and if spoken to, I'm very... standoff-ish. I probably do the exact opposite of what I should do. Unfortunately, this isn't something easily changed with me. I'm just awkward in general, and I'm not used to communicating with the opposite sex.

Is there any type of guy at all that would be attracted to this? I know most guys probably would give up before giving me a chance.

Most Helpful Guy

• Okay, you have some issues, but at least you are aware of them and accept the truth of them - that's something a lot of girls like you can't do.

So, the next step is to limit yourself to emotionally mature guys, which probably means not the super attractive/popular guys, because those guys don't NEED to be emotionally mature - they're perfectly successful being immature and they know it.

Then, once you have a guy you like, you need to TELL HIM more-or-less what you wrote here: that you have trouble expressing yourself, that you are shy, and that you tend to send the wrong messages as a result, but that you actually DO like him, and would appreciate if he would take the initiative and work with you if you have trouble responding properly or are standoffish. If you can't tell him this in person, then write it down and get it to him somehow.

As you said, your behavior will run off guys who will assume by your actions that you aren't interested in him and don't want him around, UNLESS you make them understand that these actions are really the result of your shyness/social awkwardness. I understand that it might be scary to make yourself vulnerable like that, but it really will be necessary in order to move past that initial "break the ice/does she like me?" stage with anyone.

The good news is that as you get some dating/relationship experience under your belt, your social anxiety will ease a bit (maybe a lot, but at least a bit) and things will be easier for you.

What Guys Said 17

• I think it's mainly on your inexperience with the other sex. I can tell because you said that you avoid their gaze when they are looking at you, your standoff-ish and I bet that when the guy tries flirting with you you mainly answer back in yes or no replies or close ended sentences. I think you just react awkwardly because of it and its not literally your fault. I think if you want something you should be willing to go out to get it and if you don't well shit at least your tried rather than think on the whole what if scenario. If you did try and you got what you wanted well then congrats! Unfortunately for me, you are the girl I try to flirt to and then the whole situation becomes awkward since now I know you have little to no experience in flirting with guys and now I feel awkward because I've put you into a situation where you don't feel comfortable.

There can be guys who are willingly enough to keep being persistent and try because that's just who they are and that's a good thing because that amount of time for someone to get to know you, your awkwardness, your quirks helps for a better relationship for the shy, awkward and inexperienced. I on the other hand would have dismissed you because our energy, chemistry is a bit off and if you cannot keep up with the flirtatious conversation then I will not ask you if you'd like to grab a drink or anything later or ask for the number. But sometimes there are the little experienced and who do give me their numbers they never really call back which I would have rather you just give me a no than your number if you were not going to call back. There's the others who call but aren't sure as to what they want or lastly, they call past the 2 day limit and expect me to still be interested in them when they should of just call/texted the next and not 3/4 days later.

As stated before it's not your fault and YES there are guys who are after the shy/awkward girl but you just need to find them.

• Yeah.. I don't really have much experience at all with the opposite sex. I'm turning 21 (in 2 days actually!), but... I only just had my first kiss several months ago.. And I was awkward as hell. He kissed me, I didn't expect it, he tried to put his tongue in my mouth, and I literally screamed. Literally screamed. Like.. what is wrong with me? LOL

• I wasn't allowed to date until I was 18. Even still, they don't like the idea of me dating or even having guy friends in general, but.. I do it anyways, because I know if I don't, there's no way I'll ever be able to integrate into society.

• Exactly, that's good thinking. I think it may have or may not have been somewhat linked to your parents. Don't quote meon that. If you have guy friends I think it would have been easier to be around guys whom you like and have an interest for. This way you can see how they act, body language, certain words/phrases that they use and when finally a guy comes up to you, you'll be able to differentiate what's him just being friendly and what a flirt. But none of this will matter if you don't take a chance and put yourself out there. You don't have to be fully sending a full blown signal but subtle ones work best.

• Yeah. I think shy can be very attractive. I even think awkward could be cute because it'd be cool that she might be nervous talking to me (hopefully because she likes me a lot).

Most people, even if they appear suave, are pretty nervous around people they like. It's mostly about faking it until you have enough confidence not to have to anymore.

• Awkward is cute.

Not interested in me would just make me forget about it and move on.

I suspect I'd misinterpret your behaviour as disinterest. You need to do better. But you don't need to see smoothly confident the way guys often need to. As long as your interest is clear you can be awkward and shy about it

• Yeah... that's the main thing i need to work on. For some reason, I think the world will end or something if I say "I like you".

• I would be worried that you'd perceive me as a threat if I saw you react this way to an approach by me. I would either depart and cease contact or attempt to make it clear I mean you no harm and then wish you a good day.

• Don't worry. I'm not shy. At all. But right now I am involved with one of the shyest girls I've ever met. I'm not shy, but I don't drink, party, or anything. I want a girl the same. And this girl is. She is wonderful. There are some difficulties (her mom doesn't approve of the timing), but I find her shyness adorable. As well as her awkwardness. She is so humble, and I never give up on her. So don't worry. There is always a guy for you :)

• That's so cute... I wish you both the best! ^^

• Thank you~!

• You're welcome :)

• Im pretty awkward too, I think it'd be interesting to date another awkward person

• Nah. I would not be attracted to you. Because I would assume you hold back your feelings while the things are going well between us.

• I'm the exact same way. I actually feel more comfortable around girls like you, just the thought of a girl being shy as or shyer than me makes me feel less nervous.

• You are shy.
    That doesn't sound very odd or awkward to me. Very normal in fact.

• Ridiculously shy though. People always think I dislike them when it's usually the opposite.. And i avoid social situations at all costs.

• It's true. I feel for guys. xD I'd make the first move if I wasn't so shy..
      I'm not too experienced with dating, so... maybe with some practice I wouldn't be so bad. :P

• You will be just fine :)
      Just stop looking at yourself as if you are strange, odd, or awkward. Practise makes perfect :)

• Sure. The only thing is, I might get the impression that you don't like me and that I should leave you alone. I'm pretty awkward too and bad at picking up on cues. But your awkwardness isn't a turn off by itself.

• Attracted to a girl like that? Sure.
    I just don't know if anything would actually materialize considering how you show attraction. I'm not so outgoing that I would be able to get through that, I think.

• Yeah, I know. That's why I asked, because I'm like... how will a guy even know I'm interested? haha.

• Yeah, you act the same way around a guy you are attracted to and someone you think might mug you. haha
      Can't blame you. I've done the same thing at times.

• Haha, exactly!! I don't know why, for some reason I'm scared for someone to know that I like them... if I'm scared for someone to know, then how will they know I like them? It's so silly!

• Yas i'd take u home anytime if i like u with all ma heart =-)

• Take me home tonight! I don't want to let you go till you see the light!

• Yas what time shall we meet up?

• You sound adorable.

• Really? :D

• T_T; That would be torture.. Torture!

• Right here.

• Judging by my behavior, would you assume I'm not interested if you approached me?

• Likely, but it would take a lot to convince me that a girl *is* interested in me.

• Its cute to me, i think its adorable that your shy, i am the exact same way so its like a nice click to me. :)

• Yes, an innocent chick who i'm gonna mess up lol

• I don't know if a guy would be "attracted" to shyness, but for me personally, if you are pretty enough it would not stop me from approaching you. Some people just don't come out of their shell easily, and so they need it to be cracked open.

• Well.. then I hope I'm 'pretty enough'! Haha. :D

• Well in your question you said guys show interest in you and try to kiss you, so you must be pretty.

• It happened twice... the first time, I turned, and it landed on the side of my nose (awkward), and then the second guy was my boyfriend at the time, and... well.. when he tried putting his tongue in my mouth, I screamed, literally, screamed.

What Girls Said 5

• I practically do everything you just described above, yet many people still find me attractive and approach me. Half the time I get called weird but I just respond with 'You've only just noticed?' and smile it off. The key factor is to have confidence no matter if people think you're awkward or not. If you walk confidently then become shy when a guy is talking to you, there's a chance he may find it cute. Just be yourself, and trust me, you'll attract the right crowd :)

• Lol you're just like me, but when my current boyfriend and I first started talking, it was always embarrassingly awkward and I actually apologized for being awkward, then he said something like "that's okay, I'm pretty darn awkward too." There's someone out there for everyone. Some people are even attracted to awkward people haha

• I always mentally yell at myself, because it's like.. there will be this amazingly nice, sweet guy giving me attention, and I'll just avoid him at all costs... I'm like.. WHY. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT. Haha. I don't know why I can't seem to show interest!

• lol my boyfriend and I would communicate JUST by those Facebook stickers for the longest time because both of us had trouble actually talking. The first time he kissed me on the cheek, my hair was in the way so I had to push it back for him to try again. I say that if you know you're awkward, there's really nothing you can do about it and there's nothing wrong with it, so just embrace it. Take pride in being awkward! haha

• I guess awkward moments in relationships are probably the cutest stories to share when you're older, yes? xD

• Oh my gosh, are you my twin? I feel the same way sometimes, and I can be awkward as all get out. Yes, believe me, there are plenty of guys that will give you a chance; matter of fact the right guy won't care at all, he'll love your personality quirks and find it endearing.

• Perhaps you are my long lost twin! :D

• I'm awkward too but way worse than what you described. I'm way too awkward to be attractive to any good guys so I have accepted that I'm going to be forever alone lol.
    But you seem cute so I don't think you have much to worry about.

• Aaw.. but according to most people, some guys like awkward girls, so maybe there's hope for us yet, eh? :D

• Aww you're too cute. There's certainly hope for you, but not for me. I'm painfully awkward and not in the adorable way haha.

• I bet you're adorable, too! Don't lose hope! <3

• probably. i know that emo guys or rock music loving guys love awkward and shy girls. and no, i dont mean eyeliner and satan worship when i say emo

• I wouldn't like a guy who referred to himself as "emo". D: I like guys who like rock music though. :D