How would you react, if you found out the person you were seeing seriously thought about, or attempted, suicide 5 years before you met them?

Would this phase you?
Bother you?
Would it change the relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• Five years is a long time, and while depression can be a chronic long term condition, I wouldn't automatically assume that nothing had changed in the last 5 years.

I would talk to them as much as they were willing to talk about it, to find out what sort of headspace they are in right now. What were the circumstances that made them think/attempt suicide back then, and whether things are different enough now.

Until I knew more, I could not say if it would change the relationship.

What Guys Said 8

• NOTHING about her will ever bother me even if it comes to me from a third party. I'd prefer it coming from her ofcourse but if I hear about something I'd probably ask her once and that's about it. If she wants to talk it's ok if not it never happened.

In case of an attempted suicide however, yes I will manage to find out from her behavior even w/o looking for it or prying and will ensure that those fears are put to rest in a passive & caring way w/o her even being aware of it

• I would give no fucks about it and just be happy that the person is still alive. It was 5 years ago, forget the past and move on!

• I certainly wouldn't drop the person for it. We all can have these black moments in our life. I would tell the person it was good he or she had overcome it and built up a new life.
    And I would be able to either let it "rest in peace", or talk about it as she would wish.

• nothing as long as she is over her suicidal phase everything is good

• wouldn't bother me. she would be just like me.

• It' would make me sad that they were hurting that much and thankful that it didn't happen

• Wouldn't really affect me all that much, since I too considered suicide when I was younger as well.

• I would keep it to yourself for a little longer. You two have only been dating for a little while but no I would be happy the person is alive and want to know if the issue/issues were resolved.

What Girls Said 4

• No. That would not bother me. I would be interested in future, our future. Is he feeling all right? Does he need help? Etc etc
    To be honest, I would be not interested in at all, why he attempted. If he was willing to tell, I would be there to listen. That is all about it.

• I would think he has had life experiences that had a profound effect on him. We all at one time or another in our lives have challenges that can be hard, some make us stronger, others can be devastating.

It would not change the relationship for me, it would not bother me, I would be happy that he felt comfortable enough to share with me of his past. I would be grateful that he is alive, and chose to face a new day.

• It would make me wonder what happened, but if he's happy and healthy now it wouldn't make me want to be with him any less.

• Yes, yes and i dont know. My father committed suicide when I was in highschool, It is the worst experience you can ever imagine and i still have trouble not crying out of no where sometimes. A kid at my college that i knew took his life this year too.
    My spouse doing the same thing would destroy me

It would just put me in a state of anxiety. I have hard time trusting people already it would really just put me in a state of anxiety at this time in my life.