Dating a guy who you know has a history of violence? would you do it?

would you date a guy who was known to be an arrogant, egotistical, self absorbed, entitled man? what if he had a history of violence and was even arrested for domestic violence? would you give him a chance or steer clear of him completely? do you think people can change?

Most Helpful Guy

• I am a man who has a violent history myself, my GF knew this but still wanted me.
    I changed after that, realising that i loved her more and more just because she accepted me. made me so loyal to her and i want her to be so happy, that i went to a therapist to deal with my anger. it's been 2 years now, and she is my fiance now. and aggressiveness... is history for me.

What i'm trying to say is, is the guy worth it? You should think about that. I went through all that stuff for my now fiance. but will the guy do the same for you? You should think this through. but the choise is yours ofcourse.

Good

What Guys Said 9

• Yes I do think people can change, However, I would recommend that you stay away, just on his history of violence. I think any guy who hits a woman is a coward... I could maybe over look a one time thing...(doesnt make him any less of a coward) but someone with at history of doing it... are you kidding me why would you want to put yourself in that situation? Odds are this scumbag will do it again.
    Now add the fact that he's arrogant, egotistical, self absorbed, and self entitled... ask yourself is this how you describe him? If so the question again is Why would you put yourself in that situation? If this came from mutual friends ask your self if you trust them and remember there's a reason he is that way or comes off that way.
    Every relationship has give and take, there has to be communication and understanding. You also deserve to be heard, listened to and respected. You deserve to happy and not have be walking on egg shells wondering whats going to set this dude off.

• no no no.

do I think people can change? yes sure they can but I'd HAVE to see evidence of that change before dating him. either he has gone through some therapy or done some serious reflection and learning. but in lieu of seeing concrete evidence of a change I absolutely would not date the person

• I believe people can change but if they have a mild - hot history then ima be weary about the whole thing.

• I would stay clear from him. If you like him, that let him prove himself to you. he has earn his trust. If he really likes you, then he will wait until your trust is gained. But the main thing is, listen to what your gut tells you. If its a no, then don;t go there.

Always listen to your gut.

• if it is a long history stay away. Why would you want to get involved with someone like that? why even take a chance.

• Violent history doesn't make a person bad if and only if the person has found a constructive way to make up for it. Those who fail, end up in prison.

I believe people can change.

• Depends. Is this someone who was violent years ago and went and got help, or is this someone you are hoping to change. If it is the former, maybe, but be careful. If it is the latter, no, no, NO!

• Noway hosay. Same goes for a chick who has a history of flying off the handle and being insane. Not my cup of tea.

Sure watching crazies on TV or in movies might be fun but in real life they cause nothing but stress and panic.

• Steer clear of him. Especially if you know he was violent with close family members as well.

• I meant with his close family

What Girls Said 9

• No. I know that people can change and that there's always two sides to every story (not that there is any excuse for being abusive), but I would need to see that he's changed before I even tried to go out with him and even then it wouldn't get serious for a while until I knew for sure that I could trust him. Abusive partners usually go from relationship to relationship and they remain abusive, so it's best to be cautious, and if they don't understand why you're cautious, then they might not be the right person for you.

• No, I wouldn't. I would completely steer clear of him. Sure, people can change, but I'm not going to risk my well-being for some violent/arrogant/entitled guy who MIGHT have changed.

• only the dumbest bitch alive would. you are literally playing with fire. a mentally off man who is enraged could potentially beat you to death. is all that worth it over some dick? there are so many men in the world, why pick one as damaged as that?

• Steer Clear.

• Nope, to me that's exactly the same as a man having an STD. Would I want a disease? No thanks.

Same thing. Would I want to take a risk of either getting hit in the relationship or be badly thought as an accomplice if he were to get arrested for something else? No thanks... they're plagues.

• Really the relationship wouldn't get past the first date because arrogance alone makes me cringe. But for the sake of the question..

If I were already with him and real love had developed, I'd stick by him because I do believe people change when they truly love someone. I believe people do want to defeat their demons, and I'd want to be there to support that.

• I'd avoid that shit like the plague.

• Id give him a chance if he's willing to work on it.

• I wouldn't give him a chance.