What is your definition of a clingy significant other?

I'm curious to see what people have to say about this. For me it is calling/texting/emailing too much, never giving the other a chance to have a life outside of the relationship, being very untrustworthy, etc. What are your definitions of clingy?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's how I see it. Contacting them throughout the day and suspecting the other is always upto something no good, suffocating, preventing them from having their space. I would make a slight distinction on the contact though. Clingy is demanding constant communication, not necessarily simply sending a message every so often in the course of a day. When two people have very different schedules they can often find they just send messages when they feel like saying something/they have a thought about something, those messages are not chat requests. They don't represent a need to chat that very second or for you to drop what you're doing to respond. Some people don't like to message when they know the other's not around, others think nothing of sending a message when there's nobody there. I can see how it would look the person receiving the messages however. A message every few hours can grate on a person and it can come off as clingy even if it's not and the sender is perfectly at ease. Point taken though. Some people are like that when they're not used to being in a relationship.

• I guess I could come off as clingy, which is kinda weird, because I like my space lol. I guess I would make the distinction bewteen clinginess and inexperience in relationships.

What Guys Said 3

• Becoming jealous when you do things without them, constantly needing to be in contact, always needing you for some reason or another, expecting you to drop plans to spend time with them, always worried they are going to lose you. Basically someone who wants them to be your life and world.

• Pretty much what you described. I need my time for my hobbies and interests and while I'd love to take her along for the ride, my hobbies allows me to just escape all the bullshit and enjoy MY time. It would really depend though, if the chick genuinely enjoys my hobbies then I wouldn't consider it clingy if she always wants to come along as well.

• Getting upset that I didn't answer her text from 5 minutes ago. Other than that I'm pretty fine with clingy, I crave attention.

What Girls Said 2

• Clingy would be always calling or texting, asking where I am, who I'm with, what I'm doing CONSTANTLY while we aren't together, always wanting to be with me, not wanting me to hangout with any one else or do anything else unless it's with them, when we're with people in a group always talking to me and not socializing with anyone else, not hanging out with friends or anything, etc.

• Someone who won't give me when I ask for it. As an introvert I need me time if it's too much then it's more of a me problem then the SO.