Atheists/Agnostics: do you date religious people?

The questions says it all. Do you date religious folks or is it a deal breaker?

Most Helpful Guy

• My girlfriend and I never spoke about religion before but after a year together she was chatting with someone and the topic popped up. She simply said: "I love the creator".. I overheard and said: "what creator." She responded with: "my creator." So I paused, contemplated my next action and then said to her: "well then I do too because he or she did a great job." .. We haven't spoken about the topic since.

What Guys Said 14

• I doubt if I'd date someone who spent a lot of time with religious activities, like going to church every week.
    Belief in God wouldn't cause a problem, if they could accept me as I am.

• Yeah I would; it's just not ideal. I wouldn't if the beliefs are super extreme, but if they just believe it and casually worship, that's cool. It's a person by person situation. Ideally, I think the more similarly we think the better.

• It's not a deal breaker, unless she's literally obsessed with The Lord and stuff and tries to make me pray every day.

• I don't mind date religious people since I don't care about religion
    I have my beliefs and they have theirs and I respect that

• I have, or had. I mean she believed in god but felt religion was constraining, I got her to watch Carl Sagan but she wanted an explanation for her existential crisis now.

• its not a dealbreaker, as long as she doesn't try to get me to participate in religious activities/celebrations.

• Yes, I have dated religious women. It seldom is a point of contention. I prefer another agnostic.

• I have in the past.

• Sure. What does it matter?
    As long as she doesn't freak out about minor religious things and is instead a 'moderate' religious person.

• No I wouldn't.

• I don't have any problem dating religious people, but religious women never prefer to date me because they probably believe atheists are worse criminals than murderers or rapists.

• As long as they are respectful of my beliefs and don't push theirs onto me, I have no problem with it.

• Deal breaker. "Religious" is often one of a set of characteristics I greatly dislike. I don't need the preaching and they don't need me not caring.

• It depends on what you mean by religious. I know a lot of people that believe in God that don't even go to church. There are other people that run around trying to convert everyone they meet. So it depends on just how into their religion they really are.

I was raised as a Christian so I do share a lot of the same values, I just don't believe in God anymore. So it isn't like I hate Christians. I just get annoyed that they don't understand I can't force myself to believe something. If humans could do that then I would ask every woman just to believe I was the greatest lover of all time. Which is a real fact by the way... BELIEVE IT!!! lol See? It doesn't work that way. You can't make yourself believe something. As long as they respect that fact then is shouldn't be a problem.

What Girls Said 9

• It's a deal breaker for me. It's too big of a fundamental difference to ignore or to compensate for elsewhere.

• I didn't have a problem with it until my exs dad told me I developed my eating disorder becaue I didn't believe in god. Its bullshit. Haha

• I'm agnostic and practice one religion. He believes and practices another. We've had some great talks on comparative theology.

• if he's religious, and keeps shoving his religion in my face then it's a deal breaker.

• As long as they don't push their religion on me then I'm good but then again they're religious so it may happen. I'm agnostic so it may be easier.

• I would. I respect all religions and beliefs equally. But I don't know if a religious person would date me. They may find it offensive that I can't belive in something that's a big part of their life and there's no point hurting them like that.

• Date, yes. But in a long-term relationship the differences become too ever-present.

• So long as they don't push it onto me, I don't mind.

• I feel religious guys instill really good values in themselves and in a relationship so I would

• Did you know that religious men cheat more often than atheist men?

• Religion has nothing to do with cheating statistics in my opinion. Thats a very silly comment.