My sister is dating somebody who is 16 years older than her. Is this wrong?

My sister is 22 years old and dating a 28 year old guy. She is really secretive about him. She hasn't introduced him to any of the family, and does not even talk about him at all. In fact, she didn't even tell me she was dating anybody. I just heard this from my mom, who she told. She still lives at home due to some financial troubles, but is never at home because she sleeps at his place every night. If I bring him up, she ignores the subject completely and denies everything or starts screaming that it's not my business and calls me a bunch of horrible names for no reason. I noticed that she has a ring on her finger that I think is from him because she always tries to cover it up...

I know you are all going to say that it's okay that they are dating since they are both over 18 and adults. I understand that, but I just don't get this relationship. My sister is really insecure and hardly talks to anybody. This is her first boyfriend. I think she's just with him for that reason. But why would a 28 year old guy choose to date somebody so young? It seems disgusting and weird to me. They are at completely different points in life. How could she be happy with this? I'm not saying any of this to her, but it's really how I feel. I'm just gonna let it be cause I don't care what she does. Does anybody else think this age difference is weird?

I meant that he is 38!! sorry!

Most Helpful Guy

• Nah, I don't think the age difference is weird. Or at least, it doesn't need to be weird.

People find love in seemingly strange places sometimes... who are we to judge what makes them happy?

I'd let this one go if I were you and not say anything, provided that the guy treats her well and the like one another.

What Guys Said 6

• If he was 38, I'd expect him to date women not younger than 25.
    In any case, they're both adults so there's nothing wrong with it. She's probably getting a better deal with him than she would from men her own age, for many reasons.

• i'd not have a problem dating a 22 y. o. girl if i was 38

• sounds pretty weird.

but i say let her experiment for a little bit. i bet eventually she will get bored and leave him since her party juice is just kicking in and his probably faded a while ago

• If they both like each other and over 21 than I wouldn't worry
    about it i see age is just number

• I think part of the reason she dating him is because of the $$$ and guys usually date younger girls because they feel more respected and cherished while girls who are closer or around age are very demanding and can be heartless :p

• My girlfriend's nine years younger than me.

How 'bout them apples?

What Girls Said 5

• I think you have a typo in here somewhere. So he's either 6 years older, or else he should be 38 according to your post. Either way, she's 22 and in my opinion it doesn't matter. You're legally an adult at 21 universally so whatever age she chooses to date is her business. If they're compatible when I think it's better she's in a good relationship with an age gap, than limit the age of the guys not being able to find someone right for her.

• The age difference of 6 years doesn't concern me. But her secrecy over the relationship and getting defensive about it is a red flag, in my opinion.

• Yeah a little. Thats a huge age difference. But maybe they just click. He may be 38 but he can mentally be 25 lol. It's fine if he's fine ;) jk.

• Do you mean 38 years old?

• 28 is not 16 years older than 22. 22 and 28 is not that big of a deal.

22 and 38 however... maybe worse but still legal and not really an issue. Let her do what she wants.