Difference between "dating" and "in a relationship"?

I've been hearing way too many different answers. I'm not entirely sure what my status with this girl is either. We've gone on several dates for about 2 months before she took off for summer break. She'll be back in a week...

0|1
5|1

Most Helpful Girl

• In a relationship means you have both agreed that you are only dating each other and are boyfriend and girlfriend. You are not having sex or going on dates w anyone else and you aren't looking for someone else.

Dating means you go on dates and talk and flirt but there isn't the same level if commitment as a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
    • So it doesn't matter how many dates you've been on?

• No. You are in a relationship when you tell the girl you don't want to date or hook up with or look for other people anymore and ask her if she feels the same and if you both agree to stop doing these things you are in a relationship. This is when you are boyfriend and girlfriend although some don't use the title right away.

It's like this: dating is when you meet go on dates some people are hooking up too but they have not agreed to exclusivity and therefore are not in a relationship. Sometimes you just stay dating and never end up in a relationship often one party mistakenly assumes it's a relationship and then people get hurt. Then in a relationship you only want to be with each other and possibly are considering a future it your relationship lasts. Then comes engagement or marriage but not everyone makes it here.

No matter what you need to discuss it bc many people assume they are in a relationship bc they dated a while or had sex but it can never be assumed. So discuss.

What Girls Said 4

• "Dating" = Talking too. IE you're still allowed to see other people because you're still in the process of getting to know each other to decide if you want to be "in a relationship", which = committed exclusively to each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dating - seeing people but with no commitments, regulations or promises.

Relationship - seeing one person whom you're committed to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dating is not exclusive you are seeing each other regularly but are not a couple and in a relationship is when you are exclusive, you both agreed that you are boyfriend and girlfriend

0|0
    0|0
  • In a relationship: When two persons agree to only see each other exclusively and use the title girlfriend/boyfriend when introducing or referring to the other.

Dating: No such agreement has been made and they're essentially two members of the opposite gender who are hanging out with each other with some frequency.

0|0
    0|0
    • hmm so I guess we're still in the "dating" phase... Would you think asking her to be my girlfriend when she comes back (we've been talking all summer) be too sudden?

What Guys Said 1

• If you're dating exclusively, then you're in a relationship.

0|0
    0|0