Why would a guy cling on to a girl he does not want to be with?

we have been friends for almost a year now. we were really close i think. we saw each other everyday and we would just talk for hours and hours. and he would just often tell me of how great i am and thank me for being the person i am. i guess thats why i fell for the guy. and maybe thought he liked me too and thats why i just came out and told him that i like him.

the response was earth shattering for me because he told me that he doesn't want a relationship right now and he doesn't want to hurt me. ofcourse i know thats just a nice way of telling me that he doesn't want me. it really hurt me to my core and i felt inferior, not good enough, not desirable.

i have since decided to let go of him and just become a stranger because he has a lot of female friends and i just dont see why i need to be in his life but he won't let me go. asked me whats the matter and all.

why won't he just leave me be? its hurting me knowing that he might just be falling for another girl and i just wasn't good enough even after all the time we spent together.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think he cares about you an awfully lot. I think he might know that if you two entered into a relationship and things went wrong that he would lose a great friend. Or maybe he just doesn't feel you in that way. I'm not sure but you definitely shouldn't feel inferior, not good enough, or undesirable. Someone out there is looking at you thinking you are the most beautiful person they've ever seen and may be too shy to approach you yet. Give it time either your friendship can work out once you move on or maybe you two can actually start something one day when he realizes you're the one.

What Guys Said 2

• I know it may often seem like "he doesn't want you" but the truth is everyone goes through a rough patch where they're not so interested in a relationship. I went out with a girl a few months back and she was nice enough, but I just didn't feel up to committing to anything at the time. It's understandable that a person might be hurt when being told this but it genuinely sounds like your guy wants to continue being your friend. Not to mention it's difficult for two friends to enter and commit to a relationship.

If you have been close friends for years then it seems like you're throwing the friendship away by not communicating with him. I'm not saying just get over it but rather consider that he doesn't want to lose one of his friends and would rather hear that you need some space than nothing at all.

• Hm, he's a puzzle. I would have some distance from him for a while and make him work hard to be your friend. Maybe he's on the rebound?

What Girls Said 2

• He doesn't want to lose the friendship

• It boost his ego to have girls falling over him. DON'T.