How to reject a guy nicely?

Some guys think I like them back because I am nice to them. The other day, a guy told me he likes me.. now I've been nicer than before with him so that I don't give him the feeling that he's not likable.. How should I act if i don't want to sound harsh?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's better to be too harsh than to let him hope in vain (like 'she' did with me during 4 years, which cock blocked me 100% from other nice and willing girls) I don't know if she realized that. I sincerely hope she just didn't understand that.

• :( aw... you convinced me...

What Guys Said 12

• There is no nice way, but the nicest way to do it is be upfront and say I " I don't like you like that, I only like you as a friend and will only like you as a friend". This shows you're not just playing hard to get and that somehow he can get you, so he can just move on to another girl.

• Just straight up say 'I'm sorry if I mislead you, but I am not attracted to you romantically.' Some guys aren't used to people being nice and he may have mistaken it for flirting

• There is no such thing as "nice rejection".
    Just tell him up front, everytime a girl tries this "nice" crap with guys they either think "ok i might still have a chance" and become friendzoned or he won't listen either way.
    Oh and btw, your friendship is over with him. he can't be around you anymore once he has developed feelings and think of you as 'just a friend". Sorry.

• If you say something nice he'll probably whine about being friendzoned, so if that fails you can politely tell him to piss off.

• The best rejection is a firm rejection.

• Girl, Stop with this harsh bullshit. He will get over it. Stop trying to be "NICE".. Why can't you understand that guys are not that weak. Stop acting like he will kill himself over a "harsh" rejection. I think it's worse for you to treat him nicely out of pity, now that's ridiculous.
    Just tell him how he is not your type or how you don't feel the same. It's not being harsh, it's being direct, and you need to be direct with any guys otherwise this whole thing will go nowhere.

• "i don't want to be more than friends"

• There is no way to do that

• Just say I'm not interested but let him know he is a good guy and its nothing personal.

• I agree with the other commentors. You need to be constructive, but honest.

• "I'm currently seeing someone else" lie usually softens the blow.

• Be harsh or he won't get the point. We stupid like that

What Girls Said 3

• Don't try to not hurt his feelings, that will only lower his self esteem. Just tell him straight. Honesty is the best way to solve it.

• I've had this problem before as well. It is awkward to handle, but just be forthright. Tell him you like him platonically, but that's all. Doing so isn't harsh, it's kinder than allowing him to think you are interested in him romantically when you're not, which can happen by avoiding the situation.

• I'm pretty up front in relationships. I mean I've had guys want to extend it when I'm not that interested, but not all that often. Mature guys are just as intuitive as we are. They usually know where they stand after awhile.
    So I can honestly say I have no guys that I had to "break their heart" or anything close to that. I'm probably Miss Now, but not Miss Right Now.