Would it matter to you if a guy/girl had different beliefs from you regarding religion?

For example, if you're an atheist, like myself, would it bother you if they were a Christian or vice versa?

Personally speaking, I wouldn't go for anyone who was affiliated with any kind of organised religion. Not that I have a problem with religious folk, I just think it would open up a huge minefield in a potential relationship.

• Yes, this is something that is very important to me.
  • Possibly, it depends.
  • No, this isn't an issue for me.
  • I am undecided on this.
  • My opinion is not highlighted here (please elaborate below).

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm an Atheist. As long as they don't disrespect my beliefs I won't disrespect theirs. Although, I believe it would be difficult and most likely put a strain on the relationship to have different religious beliefs.

What Girls Said 18

• I'm an Atheist and I would find it hard to date someone who's a strong believer. My boyfriend is Atheist and he dated a Christian and he found it pretty annoying. It stalled their relationship in a way and I think it put strain on their relationship. I could possibly date someone who is skeptical about religion but it'd probably still really annoy me if they stuck up for it. I prefer to talk about how religion is bullshit with my partner :)

• I don't want to seem stuck up, please don't take it as me being that. For me, I date for marriage not just to screw around, and having the same beliefs is a key part to marriage, living together, and also raising children, it's like a big difference when you break it down! It's best to date people of the same faith, it makes it easier

• Religion is extremely important to me. He doesn't have to be christian but he has to live by conservative values, basically believe in the ten commandments, live an ethical and sin free life, and be virtuous in some way or shape.

• I'm an atheist currently with a non-devout Christian. Good couples know how to make things work in a relationship when there are ANY differences and that will include religion. If the two people can agree or compromise things out of love, it won't be an issue.

• I don't disagree, but I do think some differences are too big for a relationship to work, realistically speaking. Religion can certainly be a part of that. I guess it depends on how serious you both are about your faith, or lack thereof.

• My BF is atheist and I am Catholic. But I dont go to church or anything like that, I never really pray or whatever either. He though for some reason, can not even step inside a church. He has twice been into a church in the whole 9 years we've been together. We went for 2 christenings of my niece and my cousin. He actually fainted after throwing up! He gets sick at the very thought of it and sweats and then eventually he will faint if his there longer than say, 20mins..

• Well I am a Christian and if I did date someone with different religious beliefs then at first things would be okay but after awhile we would fight about things.

• The differences would become more present the longer and more serious the relationship gets, and it would eventually lead to too many problems. I try to avoid this.

• I am a religious to a certain extent, and don't really care about what your religion is or if you are an atheist! Just don't rub your religion onto me or talk bad or compare anyone to their religion! It pisses me off!

• No it would not be a problem with me as long as he/she did not subject me or try to convert me to their beliefs. I respect them and their beliefs, and I should have the same respect in return.

• it doesn't matter as long as there is mutual respect and no imposing upon.

• Im a christian and while I respect other religions I can't see a relationship with someone who isn't a christian working out. A different denomination would be okay though. I feel that of my partner isn't a christian moral issues would be difficult to draw the line on and my wedding couldn't be the way I want it to either. I've crushed on and dated other beliefs before but I just don't think I could make it work

• I don't mind contrasting beliefs as long as that person isn't in my face about it.

• Honestly as long as we both are able to practice our religion I see no problem with them being different. no one has to convert or anything just keep religion a separate part of your lives

• I'm not religious at all but I do believe in a god, creator, or whatever you wanna call it. Just don't give a shit about it tbh. A really devout Christian would bother me and I couldn't see it working out if you mean a romantic relationship. I could be friend with practically anybody though. I wouldn't care at all unless they were like devil worshipers. I would just avoid the subject.

• Atheist, here. As long as he doesn't bug me about it, or lecture me about it, I don't care what he believes. Let him believe whatever he wants. I just don't want him to bug me about how wrong I am...

• no, me and many of my friends have opposing beliefs, it doesn't really change much as long as they dont try and convert me to their beliefs.

• It really depends on the situation. I prefer not to date Muslims.

• Christian or bust. Religious values are very important and a source of a lot of contention in relationships. Relationships are hard enough as it is; I'd rather have as few core differences starting out as possible.

What Guys Said 2

• I never get along with religious women

• @klaatu51 Look at these midgets here