Have People Really Become This Self-Centered?

Since completing high school and recently completing college... I seem to always find myself just deleting people from my life. I just feel like people are really self-center... and I want to know if I am right for the feeling the way I do.

-My friends NEVER text me at all. It is me texting them to see how they are doing. One of my good friends will only text me if something really good happened to him and he wants me to know about it because he is so excited.

-I met this guy at my job 2 years ago, and I considered us to be really good friends and we spent a lot of time talking to each other while on the job and hung out after work many times. After he quit, he told me to text him. It's been 5 months and he never texted me! I sent him a reach out text and we talked for a little bit... but since then he has never texted me at all to see how I am doing!

-I make sure I remember birthdays and special events that happen in my friends life. I recently graduated college and none of my friends even bothered to say congrats to me... at all.

I have Facebook, Twitter and and I text my friend. I am always the one to see how they are doing, I am always the one to text them and reach out, they never see how I am doing or ask about me. If I don't keep in contact with my friends, I will never hear from them ever. This isn't some of my friends... this is everyone I meet! If I died, nobody would even know!

Does this happen to anyone else?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly it's not just you. I was really good friends with this guy, to the point where he would call me his sister. Then one day we got moved to different classes and he completely shut me out along with my other friends. He used to say 'Hi' to me now he doesn't even look at me.

What Girls Said 2

• same thing happenned to me when u get older a lot of things change your usually worry about supporting yourself like i said yourself and some people are like that not everyone but people do change and want different things in life and have other responsibilities besides friend to be honest if i had family of my own my main focus would be on that but try going for friends who are out to just have fun and do not have that many responsibilities on there plate like single people are the ones that will have a lot of time on there hands to be honest to hang out and do more

• We distant negativity whether its people or whatever to keep us from problems. Yeah it may be self centered sometimes but for the right reasons.

What Guys Said 2

• My post will be long... I know exactly what you're going through. I have one piece of advice: don't sweat it man. This behavior is normal for humans. Let's break down social dynamics to two fundamentals: relatability and proximity (there are more, but for simplicity, let's focus on two). When I graduated from high school, my closest friends no longer stayed in contact and I was exactly doing the same thing, trying to call and text them. Eventually I stopped because I began to understand social dynamics and the human mind. When people stop calling you in this context, it's not out of spite and being self centered, it's human nature. If you're never going to see somebody again, you'll most likely cut contact. If you can't relate to someone, you won't be friends with that person. The person you work with will be friends with you because you have something in common (relatability) and always see each other at work (proximity). Ever hear that long distance relationships almost never work out? The same principles apply to friendships. Additionally, you have to remember these people are entering new worlds and have new schedules as well. In turn this is how the world works: most people burn bridges rather than keep them. Like you, I deeply value friendships and want to continue them, however many people just don't. You made effort to stay in contact, now it there turn, if they don't move on. If you want to make more friends then simply go out more. Join local clubs like dancing or intramural sport teams. Keep socializing. Friends come and go man. Eventually you'll find a very close friend where distance won't matter and that's the friend you keep for a lifetime. You're time is limited, don't waste it bro!

• Yes people are really that self centered. Its the way the world has become. Just look at tv shows like those chubby girls that are the daughters of the OJ lawyer (sorry forgot their names), The housewives of wherever, etc. That is the norm now.