Splitting the bill a good rule or not?

Personally i always pay my share of the bill. So when i started going out with this guy he would always insist on paying everything so i want to set a rule for both of us to split bill even each time we go out is that a good thing? Will he be offended if i say this to him?

So yeah talk to him today and suggested that we take turns in paying the bills and he agreed but he still insist on 2:1 paying routine like he will pay 2 of our dates then my turn

Most Helpful Guy

• Splitting bills is definitely good. What I personally do is make the first "date" low/no cost like a cup of coffee and chit-chat. From what I read some girls feel it's an "interview" and I don't see it that way as I simply see it as conversation. So they're objection to such a deal just lets me know they either have little to no social skills or they were just looking for a free meal.

To my surprise some girls offered to pay for my coffee but those just ended up splitting. One girl I didn't like paid for 1 meal of mine and even tried to pay me to keep sleeping with her afterward when I had to leave for work. I didn't take her on that offer. So girls do pay for things.

What Guys Said 14

• I pay one night, you pay the next. Or I pay for dinner, and pay for the movie. Splitting a single bill is too much of a hassle and requires dividing up cash and dividing out change which is just messy and seems cold, like something friends or business partners would do.

• Yeah i think its more convenient to take turns in paying the bill

• Yes that is a reasonable request and will tell a lot about a guy you date if he is resentful or feels threatened you need to move on. If he is about "mutual respect and sees this is important to you then you learned how he sees a woman and that he his not threatened by women.

• It is a good idea if its what you want to do. Im dating this romanian girl, and I set up and paid for our first date, she called and we had lunch the next day where she insisted that she paid, after a playful struggle I gave in (its important that she doesn't feel obligated if im paying for everything, which I brought up with her at that time) so we came to an agreement I get dinners she gets lunches. Im happy she's happy win/win

• If you're a friend and nothing more then GOOD rule. If I was getting to know you and unsure if you're girlfriend material then I'd pay so in that kind of situation BAD rule.

With my "bros" we always treat each other regardless of how much the bill is.

• Why is it a bad rule for a getting to know each other stage?

He agree though but he insist on paying 2:1 dates

• Let him pay for the first few outings. It is emasculating when a woman pays. However, once you get to know him, offer to pay for half. I personally love when a woman offers to pay. It's actually something I look for on the first date though will always deny.

• Actually, screw paying for half. Offer to pay for the next date. Offering to pay for your portions might make it seem like you didn't have a good time.

• He might get offended, but you do what you want to do. No guy should blow up just because the girl simply refuses to let him foot the bill.

• Maybe he will be offended. Personally though, if someone invited me out to eat, I am not paying a damn penny otherwise I would just respond "no"!

• In this day of age women should split the bill. Especially on initial dates.

• Taking turns is much better. Just don't like the idea of splitting.

• I'd prefer to do that like every time

• don;t know why it could offend him if you want to share the bill!!

• Absolutely. It would be a silly thing for him to get offended about.

• Yeah he was not offended but insist on paying 2 dates to 1 date for me

• if he's secure in himself has good self esteem he won't be offended

• I prefer taking turns but nothing wrong with splitting it either. Thanks for being one of the few women who actually does want to pay her share.

What Girls Said 2

• Yup always always pay your half. Or do what I do and stuff the money in their coat pocket after the date

• Tried that before and he ended up putting it back on my bag

• You should ask to take turns picking up the check. That's what I do, it makes things easier and he gets to have his chivalry. Not to mention it evens out and it encourages more dates to ensue because some places are more expensive than others.