Am I shallow for not wanting to date a guy who smokes or chews tobacco?

Straight forward Question... I would think lol

Most Helpful Guy

• If you want to spend your life with someone, then you should start with people that don't do things you don't like...
    My list...
    1) No alcohol (drunkenness in particular)
    2) No tobacco or drugs
    3) No children or STD's
    4) Suicidal tendencies or mental disorders...

Picky? Maybe... But why should I go out with people I already know I can't stand.

What Guys Said 21

• No thats not being shallow thats what you like... for instance I've been called shallow because I dont date big girls... I dont find a attraction there so why pretend and lead on...

• We all have our idea of the ideal person and we filter out the ones that dont fit our criteria. This is correct and you should not change and also should be prepared to say... I want to be with someone who does not smoke or chew tobacco. There is nothing wrong with that. He can then decide if he wants to give it up.

• gross no. its a deal breaker for me too.

smokers are jokers!

• No, not at all. I would not date a woman who smoked or chewed... that's a total deal-breaker for me, and it's not shallow at all.

• I wouldn't date a smoker, that's for sure. It's a costly habit that is also destructive towards one's health and their surrounding's health. As such, I wouldn't really be happy about it.

• Tobacco is a dealbreaker for me too. It smells and tastes bad being near them and its really expensive. Personally I think that is a perfectly valid reason because tobacco is a choice.

• Nope I don't date women who smoke

• Not at all. I wouldn't date a girl who smokes.

• Nope, I won't date a girl who smokes or does drugs so I completely understand what you're thinking.

• Nope, preferences are preferences. You can like whoever you want and not be interested in anyone for any reason. It's about what you want, not what everyone else thinks you should want.

• Shallow? Not at all. That's a fair requirement. :)

• Shallow means caring about petty things like looks/status/money that do not usually affect personality. Smoking is a deep lifestyle choice that may reflect his personality on top of health and other things so in my opinion no , not shallow at all.

• No. The world needs more girls like you.

• No, I wouldn't want to date someone who smokes or chews tobacco either.

• no your fine

• Who wants to kiss someome who tastes like tobacco juice? Ugh

• Nope. That would be an INSTANT turn off for me...

• No... you're entitled to any dating preferences you want.

• If he's perfectly perfect in every other way, and you're letting that get in your way, then yes, probably.

• There's a difference between being shallow and having standards. Shallow would be not dating someone despite how amazing because they have 1 maybe 2 flaws and that these flaws are something that they have no control over. Like a persons height. Having standards is the same thing as being shallow except for one major difference... The persons flaw is something that they choose. Such as smoking or chewing tobacco. They may have grown addicted to the stuff but it was their choice to start in the first place.

• NO!!! Never Lower Your Standards, Smoking Is A Filthy Disgusting Habit, No One Should Have To Kiss An Ashtray.
    I Have Never Dated Anyone Who Smokes Or Drinks, My Wife Does Not Smoke Or Drink And I Never Have Either.
    You May Have To Pass Up A Lot Of Potentials, But In The End You Will Fall In Love With The Right NON SMOKER!

What Girls Said 8

• No not at all. It's a health and sanitation thing to.

• its not shallow to have standards

• No.
    That's not shallow - just health conscious. =)

• Not in the least bit.

• I hate cigarettes and the smell of the smoke. My mom smoked a pack from when she was 15 and during her pregnancy with me... I hate it and I can't stand her. I don't want guys smoking or chewing tobacco either :D You're not alone woooo

• Not at all

• do people still chew tobacco?

• No, it's your choice.