Why won't he answer when people ask about us?

I've been friends with this guy for awhile now, about a year. We're friends but I've always had a thing for him. Usually it seems like he likes me too but I'm not sure.

Lately some of our mutual friends have been making comments about how the two of us should get together, or asking "are you two dating?" and he doesn't answer. He just gets really quiet and stares at the ground.
He only replied once, and that was when someone asked him if we were dating, and at first he didn't say anything but when they repeated the question he said no.

We're not dating so why does he get quiet instead of just saying "no, we're not"? We're both in our 20's if that helps.

What Guys Said 1

• Sounds to me like he wants to and is just afraid to deny it. Maybe sounds like he's putting you off for sure and that's why he doesn't answer. But there could be some other reasons, too. Anyway that's just my interpretation. You should go for it. Ask him straight up if he likes you too.

What Girls Said 1

• My be he doesn't want to hurt your feelings. Or he likes you and he doesn't know if you feel the same and in his mind he wants to be dating but when it comes to the real world you're not and if people bring that topic up he doesn't wanna face reality that your not dating