Guys advice needed: thinking about cutting off all contact with my ex, but feeling guilty?

Boyfriend and I dated 9 months, but broke up and decided to just be friends because he moved 8 hours away for law school a few weeks ago. He still tells me he loves me and calls me almost every single day, but we never talk for more than 20 minutes, and he never sounds happy to talk to me like he used to. Last night I called him, and when he answered he just "I'm gonna call you back in a few minutes". He didn't say hello or anything. I know law school is very stressful and I'm trying so hard to be supportive, but I'm starting to feel like he doesn't care as much anymore, and that he may be just keeping me around for the security. I was thinking about cutting off all contact with him for a while until I get over him and can really just be his friend, but I feel guilty because I told him I would be there as a support system to talk to through law school. I told him I was thinking about cutting off contact for a while and he didn't seem to care.. He said he didn't have time to stress about it, but he said he does love me. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold it right there.

You broke up. He moved away.

You still talk on the phone with him?

And he tells you he LOVES you?

Have you gone MAD, woman? This man does not LOVE you. Don't buy his bullsh*t.

You were right about one thing, though. It's "like he doesn't care as much anymore, and that he may be just keeping me around for the security."

Cut him off.

What Guys Said 2

• If he doesn't have time to stress about it, it's his loss. You made a promise, but he basically said that your promise is of little consequence to him. I understand his stress, but, if he's going to be a good husband, he's going to have to learn to balance all of the stresses of work while retaining a good relationship with his wife. I suggest that it's better, for the both of you, to break it off, even if it does hurt.

• You have to tend to yourself first if you want to be able to help someone in any meaningful way. You can't support him decently an unselfishly if you feel all insecure about your communications.

If no contact is what you need to heal yourself, so be it.

What Girls Said 0