Find A Job After College? Is Going To College Worth It?

I have recently just graduated 3 weeks ago and received my Bachelor's degree. People keep telling me that I should be proud that I am a college graduate, that college is very important for the future, and that it opens doors for you. Lately, I feel like college has been hindering me.

I've been in an out of interviews and only faced a lot of rejections so far.

The only jobs that seem really interested in me are entry level sales job (I hate sales) and jobs that pay very low hourly (8.50-10 and hour).

-I also accumulated $21,000 in college debt. If I didn't have this debt, I could have saved up for my Camaro.

I have worked a lot in my past (various jobs and community service as well). But I have no internships under my belt. Sometimes I just feel like the work I put into college was a huge waste. Especially since a friend I know who didn't go to college just recently got an office manager job and another a sales manager job (both of them making 30-40K already).

How long did it take you to find a job after college?

• Yes, college is very important
  • No, college is not that important

511

Most Helpful Guy

• What did you major in?

I am finishing up my Masters in Accounting and have a CPA job lined up to roll into after school starting at 55K a year with a clear line of advancement.
    (No, I didn't know anybody, nor was I in a frat. Accounting is a great major for jobs is all.)

I have a friend who got a degree in Marketing, but his true interest was in technology. He took a sales position because that was all that was available. He hated it, but after a couple years he was able to transfer to a more tech centered position. A year later he was able to get a job in IT at a medical research company. He loves his new job, but would never have been able to get the job without first taking that sucky sales position.

If you didn't major in a easily marketable degree like engineering/accounting/etc, then you are going to need to suck it up and take that sales position to build your resume.

Is college worth it? Yes, you'll find that later on in your career, you will get the promotion that the more experienced guy without a degree won't get.

• I majored in Radio/TV/Film. I keep looking for jobs but why want 5-6 years experience already. A lot of them don't even take entry level people :(.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 5

• It depends, of course. First, make sure that what you studied is something you loved. If it's something you studied just to get a degree, you're gonna be miserable. Most companies will either recruit someone with an impressive experience (probably without a degree), or with an impressive degree record (and maybe little experience), but having "only" a degree is not going to make you stand out among the many others. Internships are important.

Many, many companies may take you in without a degree but over time, they will encourage you/push to to obtaining one. So watch out.

This is what some friends and I have done:

*Internship part time / Another part time job / Some course (online or offline) to add to your CV
    *Try several (related or unrelated) small jobs as a freelancer for other friends / acquaintances to embellish your CV.
    *Hunt start-ups if you can't have one of your own (some people are not entrepreneurs in nature), and ask to be part of their staff (you'll be surrounded by young, recently graduated, hard working people and will be able to network a lot). You may not make a lot of money, but experience and practical knowledge is going to make you stand out among other candidates.
    *Find a job part time while working on something of your own (if you have an entrepreneur heart), this way you have a "stable" income and you have your own personal growth in whatever it is you want to set up.

Employers want to know you have the hunger for growth and not only for money. Having a degree could reflect that hunger and consistency for growth.

• Welcome to the club I graduated in 2011 and I still can't get a job for what I went to school for. I figured with a bachelors degree you would find something better guess it doesn't matter. Best thing for you to do is network I feel like that's the best way to get a job is through someone who knows someone or something. Or Try temporary job agency's most jobs go through them now a days like try out the employee and decide if they want to hire. It's not ideal but it could land you a really good job with what your looking for. I might have to actually go this route even though I don't want to cause it's temporary. But good luck! And no college isn't useless it's just not really helpful right now when there is really not much jobs out there.

• Get a masters degree

• Fuck yeah opinion owner! I'm in the same boat. Here's my situation:

-23, live with my parents again.

-Shitty car that breaks down often (I can't drive very far. If I have to drive 50 minutes back and forth everyday... my car is done!)

-Only have 3000 saved up (I am trying to make in the comic/animation industry... so I pay for a lot of personal projects).

-I work a job... but it's only weekends (that's all they can offer) and I only make 8.50 an hour.

-20K in debt

-Went to 10 interviews and got rejected by all. Only 1 that really wanted me was a sales/retails job. It paid good money, but the demands and pressure to preform were insane and I wouldn't be happy doing it so I didn't take it.

-I've applied for a few internships around my area... but no callbacks, not replying to emails, etc, etc.

• That's rough that must be a hard career to get into but I also think depending on where your located you can be successful. You know what you can do is create short films or what you do put them on you tube and if you get enough hits you can put ads. There are people who make so much money using YouTube it's insane. But it's all about promoting your self. Oh and I saw on this show the other day making your resume stand out is going to make them want to hire you. Take what you've learned and create your resume out of it. They showed an example which was strange but really cool the person make a chocolate bar and put their resume on the wrapper maybe you could create a DVD of an animation for your resume or a comic? That would make you standout. But like I said before network with everyone and anyone hopefully that will land you what your looking for. Sometimes though you have to start from the bottom and work up which is shitty but u have to start somewhere I guess.

• If you are just starting out - you are going to be offered more entry level jobs. My cousin makes around $110 000 a year but he started as a teller at a bank. That's the way life is - when you first start out - you start at the bottom.

• these days, not so much... the job market is inflated with BA degree holders, so that's about as worthless as a high school diploma. I went to college for 18 years and still don't really have a competitive resumé... everyone wants experience. :P

• i think everyone keeps saying college is the answer to guarantee a successful future... because that's just what's been regurgitated for generations... centuries even. ... back when having a degree was rare and guaranteed imminent entrepreneurship.

But practically speaking, you forget 90% of what you learn in a classroom (by virtue of being human)... and the vast majority of what you retain isn't applicable to the work force.

Employers only like degrees because it suggests that you have a strong work ethic
      ... but then that could be honed outside of a classroom.

• College is really important, however the way companies find people to work for them has changed. Most companies use an algorithm with resumes to find the buzz words in them. The rest that don't meet the algorithm get thrown out.

Keep on chugging and maybe ask some of your old professors that liked you for help.

• If they even know me. I was a very large classes. And in the small classes, I barely talked to the professors :/.

What Guys Said 10

• Here is the thing, my man, and I am going to be utterly and fully upfront with you here. It will likely take several posts. Before I answer I should point out that I am a military veteran, graduated college, graduated medical school and worked through those years. Point being, I feel extremely qualified to answer this question so I hope you consider this for your future from someone who has been through the entire process and went ALL the way through it and thrust into a very satisfying career thereafter.

The short answer to your question is: It depends but edges more toward a "yes". However, now I will give you the long answer.

You have, yourself, considered the issue's and your educated mind has considered where you are at and everything therein. I bring this up because I believe that your rejection from this/that in terms of career's has (obviously) give you a deeper introspection of things. Here is how I see things:

1) Professional Fields: Medical School, Law School, etc are all required to even be in the field or become licensed and therefore an undergraduate level degree is mandatory. In these instances - it is worth it.

2) For fields requiring this education/that education to even be considered (such as teaching, etc): Again, since a degree is required, it is absolutely necessary.

Here is where it gets "maybe/maybe not" (Please note: I am not in the mood to list every major occupation that needs/doesn't need a degree so "etc" means exactly what it appears to be).

In this CURRENT day and age, let's be honest, most everyone has a degree. So what sets people apart from each other and allows them to stand out? The problem is that now a day's companies are (in many cases) forced to hire specific individuals to meet quota's. That changes the dynamics of hiring policies and, many times, allows non qualified people to gain a position over highly qualified people. This issue has (to be continued in P2)

• (P2) has created a situation where people with degrees are, very often, being passed over for people without them in fields that do not require degrees and this is based on racial background. Due to this, the work that people have put in through their college is minimized and it creates a much more congested job field. On a side note, you may also notice that specific careers and specific service professions have drastically experienced a downward spiral in recent years. This is based solely on the hiring procedures which has replaced the typically prepared individuals for those who were not prepared but were given preference based on something "other than" education and experience.

So what then can a job seeker do to meet the criteria and circumvent the issue? (continued in P3)

• (P3) Your two greatest attributes (in this regard) will come down to:

a) Experience: While education will often be a slight turn on to non professional or mandatory fields. Experience is a different story. If you have experience in something, you stand out because the company realizes your transition and training will be little to nothing. Thus saving them money, thus making an immediate impact with the hire.
      b) Personality/How you present yourself: I will not go deeply into this but, frankly, this is THE NUMBER ONE selling point in any job you will ever apply for. If you present well, respond well, and appear to both have your sights on a long career with said company while also appearing to "want to" learn and expand your knowledge base, it goes a long way as an applicant. I can get deeper into this if you wish, just ask.

(Concluded in P4)

• (P4) To conclude you have to distance yourself from the competition by what I stated. In your resume you need to overstate your experience and any volunteer work you have done, etc. In other words, sell yourself. In addition to that, when the interview takes place you need to verbally sell yourself based on said resume/CL.

At this point and this economy, your best, and truly only bet is to accept an entry level position and FROM THERE, build yourself up through said company. I know it sucks but it is simply the way things are currently so bite your lip and just do it unfortunately. Most companies have a decent/good promotion ratio anyhow for those who excel so it won't take long and money is money at this point.

If you need for me to review your CL and/or Resume, send me a PM as I would be more than happy to do so for you.

• Depends on what you major in, what skills you picked up in the major and how you sell those skill. I am finishing up degree in Materials Science and Engineering. I currently work in the IT division because I picked programming in high school and technical writing in my first two years of college. If I could not find an engineering job or an IT job after college the other skills I can pitch for a decent paying job are drafting, chemistry, metal casting, foreign language and welding. Make a list of skills you have that are in demand and develop a sells pitch for each. Doing so can point you in the right direction on where to apply and give you lines to drop to save an interview and get the offer.

• The current job market isn't exactly the greatest. You need to build up your resume. Get a job, make professional connections and try volunteering on the side. Then, you're more likely to get the kind of job you want, which may even pay tuition for you to get your master's degree.

• It really depends, if you're getting a degree on something special lets say, anything in the medical field a specific engineering major then its worth it. You have no idea how many old classmates and acquaintances I have that majored in something business that ended up completely useless.

• Depends on your degree. If you're going into engineering like me, college is VERY worth it (if you survive, that is...).

If you go for something like Communications, you're just wasting your time and more importantly, money.

• Honestly, going to college is only worth it for STEM, Medical and Law (don't mean police) careers. I recently graduated with a bachelors in Marketing and now I'm working as a copywriter for a credit union and making 33k a year. 4 years of college was unnecessary for me, everything I needed to know for working in marketing I learned in like half of the first year of college and this is a similar case for most jobs besides the ones I listed before.

• College is very important. What's your major if you don't mind me asking?

• Radio/TV/Film. It has always been my dream to work in animation and comics. I've been doing my own thing and gained an awesome fan base... but I need a producer or publisher to make my stuff a reality.

Meanwhile, I've been searching for other jobs, but no luck. If I can get a job I like for a few years, get a good salary, pay off my loans and pay for my animation/comic projects... then I will be good.

• That sounds very creative. Since animation is largely graphic design, have you searched for jobs in that sector?

• The market is totally saturated. Prices go up, quality goes down. That's what happens whenever government gets involved in an industry. See housing and healthcare for details.

Here's the problem. If you don't go to college, people assume you're dumb. But if you do go to college, people still don't assume you're intelligent, what with the huge number of idiots going to college these days. So a degree is of less professional value in that sense than it was. But in another sense it's of more value than it was, because, with the huge overflow of graduates these days, employers can inflate their jobs: what required just a high school diploma 30 years ago now requires a degree. It's going even further now. Many jobs which previously required bachelors now require masters.

If you really are an intellectual, there's no doubt that (unless you need to use labs) college is not worth it intellectually. If you can't teach yourself at age 18, you're not a true intellectual. Remember, when college first became a thing, there was no Internet, no textbooks. Times have changed, but college has stayed the same, thanks to heavy government regulation, which is thanks to the vested interests of colleges themselves.

Bottom line. Fewer people should be going to college. College should be much cheaper, shorter and more flexible. Fewer jobs should require college. There should be fewer colleges and fewer college departments. Do you really think that women's studies for example would exist without government handouts?

• Unfortunately, like most of us, you're surrounded by second-handers, people who just parrot what other people say. People are desperate for a sense of security. Anything that offers that, even if it's illusory, becomes desperately desired. College and marriage are two big examples of this.

• The butt-ugly truth is college degree is very important but it is no longer the key to getting a good job. It's the key to getting any kind of sustainable job. And most likely it will only be able to get you a shitty entry-level job out of college. Want a better job? Gotta slave away for years at this shit job first.

• It takes time. You aren't gonna get hired instantly. Without college you aren't going anywhere. My sister got a temporary job right out of college and she is making over 1,000 dollars a week. It's not a permanent job but it's a good start and it's experience for future jobs

• 1,000 a week would be a dream! Holy crap... what does she do?

I'm only make 8.50/hr right now at the job I had since I enrolled in college...

• She's like a field biologist or something. It's only like a 5 month job but it's experience and a nice chunk of money