Are we attracted to people who are similar to us in physical attraction?

I'm always attracted to men that seem to me are "out of my league." But I can't help notice other couples and note that they compliment each other or are similar physically. Are the men who I always find attractive similar to me physically or am I vain?

Most Helpful Guy

• No we don't go for people that look similar. What we go for is an attraction on an unconscious level. When you look at someome your brain can tell how good their genes are to an extent. Also, some people will have genes that compliment yours, where others don't. So it's not just about looking good, it's personal really. I think you also see people differently than others do: sometimes you'll see character or personality come through a person, so you're not just going on purely physical all the time. Maybe your problem is you don't think you're good enough and the lower confidence puts them off, or, maybe you go for people "out of your league" as a way of keeping safe from having to be in a relationship where you are open to being hurt.

What Guys Said 4

• They've done research into this. Generally beautiful people are seen as beautiful by the majority. Average people are seen as average by the majority. Ugly people are seen as ugly by the overwhelming majority. Whereas there's less consensus about beautiful people, there is GREAT consensus about ugly people. Interestingly, there is less consensus among women about who is handsome than there is among men about who is beautiful. However, alas, ugliness is generally deemed ugly by both genders with almost unanimity.

Ugly people do not find other ugly people attractive. It's very unfortunate and it's very unfair, but alas it is a truism.

• everyone is attracted to "the best". that's what makes it the best. But only the best deserve the best, so everyone who isn't usually must settle for their equivalent. It's only fair.

• yeah I think see that too. but then again I have seen really skinny girls with larger men, and vise versa. I think that each brain is wired to look for a certain type

• When you look for a partner you try to find someone who compliments you and in turn you compliment them. That goes for the way they look, how they act etc people try to find someone who is similar to them.

What Girls Said 1

• If your face isn't as cute as his face but your body is similar or identical to his - he will state date you. I've noticed guys mostly look for girls with similar bodies - not necessarily similar level in attractiveness facial wise. Also if the guy has very peculiar standards on how he wants his life to be he might date a less attractive girl since maintaining his lifestyle is more important to him than physical beauty.