When should I start thinking about dating again?

I broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years, about a month ago.
He has since moved on. (He moved on after a week.) And I really want to move on and be happy again.
I don't want to seem like I move on too fast either if I tell a guy I'm interested. Like if I said it's been a month since I broke up with my boyfriend of two years, would this scare the guy away?
I'm just not sure if it's better to wait a little longer? I really don't know.
Is there a time limit I should wait before looking again?

Most Helpful Guy

• When I move to Australia.

In all seriousness though, I want to share some quotes with you, and maybe they'll help you think about your life in a way that's more beneficial to you and clearer with respect to how the world goes round.

"Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else." - George Orwell, 1984

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt, This is My Story

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

And the Emmy goes to. . . Kurt Vonnegut for Mother Night! This is Kurt's first Emmy. . . "It's not easy being an actor or writer, or in the movie business in general. In the words of George Orwell, "This work was strictly voluntary, but any animal who absented himself from it would have his rations reduced by half." And with that in mind, I would like to thank the Academy; that is all."

I was talking the other day to a group of law students as to whether it's appropriate (legally, as a matter of legal theory) to sue someone for "emotional" harm. The case law in most states say that the emotional harm must be "extreme" and "intentional" . . . otherwise, it must be "negligent" and you must be contemporaneously aware of a family member's death and within the zone of danger. But what is the "damage" to person, if the underlying theory is tort? If I throw a baseball at your face and break your nose, your damages are clear. If I remind you about your outstanding bills and the fact that you have no job or money, or otherwise cause you stress (i. e., have my words resonate in your ears, have that information processed by your brain, and then cause your body to release cortisol), I've caused you a "physical" injury.

• My point is, there's no good reason to punish yourself the way you are. You can't let the opinions or judgment of others (be it other women, or men - although I doubt men outside your family care about such things) hold you back from being happy. All you're doing is causing your body to pump more cortisol and adrenaline into your system, which will increase your bad cholesterol, increase your blood pressure, throw off your hormone profile, throw off your dopamine/serotonin balance, and more importantly, (at what expense/cost to you) make you forego the production of endorphins, and the release of oxytocin, and a good rush of dopamine and serotonin, etc. (i. e., feeling happy, being happy). Who is society (or other people) to deny you feeling happy? With what moral authority do they impose a mandatory required minimum waiting period onto you? Why, then, would you impose one upon yourself?

• Woah that was a lot to read. Thanks heaps. There was some good points in there that I will try and take away and remember. I appreciate it :)

What Guys Said 5

• I doubt your ex has actually moved on, he might just be trying to look like he has.

Dating doesn't imply that you are trying to find a LTR right away. Put yourself out there but don't pressure yourself.

There's no time limit, it's whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you don't think you'd start dating someone and be fully ok with it yet then don't. But if you think you're ok , go for it

• I'm not a believer is set time limits for things like these. but after 2 months there is nothing wrong with seeing whats out there at this point , I mean you will have to date someone new at some point

• Yes, I realise that, I just don't want to be taken the wrong way. As in like the relationship meant nothing to me. Because it did, and I'm not one to get into a relationship just for the hell of it. I can tell you now. When my ex moved on after a week, it made the relationship seem fake and I don't want someone to think I'm going to just be with someone just so that I'm with someone. You know?

• She was a friend of mine, so he obviously felt something for her when we together. It seems fake to me, maybe it wasn't but yeah. He said I did nothing for him (He actually means I didn't spend lots of money on him) I didn't have much money as I wasn't working at the time, but anyway. I'm over him now, I just don't want to give other guys the wrong impression :)

• still I don't see anything wrong with seeing whats out there at this point , I mean you are single. that relationship obvivously didn't work out for various reasons whatever they might of been. it doesn't mean the next one will be like that , it could be much better or worse who knows but you won't know if you don't look

• As far as i'm concerned, if you've waited a month then i'm cool with it. As far as i'm concerned, i'd say anything under 2 weeks would be a definite no-go, but, a month is fine :P

• No. Depends on the reason you broke up...

But everybody has baggage in some form.

• find a other guy

What Girls Said 1

• I'm recently trying to get over a guy too, but I don't know. There really isn't a time. You just wake up one day and realize you need to move on and live your life. Go out and have some fun. If you by happens meet a guy that you are interested in and he feels the same way, go for it and see where it goes.