How do I deal with this?

I am studying at uni, and my class is mostly guys (there's only two other girls). One of the guys I kind of know, but don't really talk to outside of class, has asked me to see a movie with him. I thought "Yeah, I could see a movie" so I said yes.

Then it occurred to me that this could be a date. I don't want to date at the moment, so I'm a little worried he might think I am interested in him. He's a decent guy as far as I know and because I haven't dated before, I don't know how to tell him that I'm not interested in him (if this is indeed a date). I don't mind seeing a movie with him, but I have no idea what to expect if this turns out to be a "first date" either...

Given that I haven't dated before (and don't want to at the moment) what would you expect on "first date" or a seemingly random 1-on-1 outing anyway?
When a guy asks you out on a first "date", is there an expectation the dating will continue? Or is it just a 1-on-1 to simply get to know a person a little better?

In response to a comment -- hahaha, yes I am often quite daft!

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course it's a date!

You stop him before the date is supposed to happen (in person) and say "Hey, I was a little taken off guard when you asked me to the movie, so I didn't have time to express myself. I just wanted you to know that I want to go to the movies with you, but purely as a friend. If you intended this to be a date, I'll understand if you want to cancel. Otherwise, I'll look forward to going with you"

What Guys Said 3

• Oh man, yeah, he is for sure going to assume this is a date. If you want to make it clear, you are going to have to tell him, and tell him BEFORE the date, or it's going to really suck for him.

You should really tell him something casual, like "oh, about the movie, I just want to be clear that I am just interested in going and seeing a movie, I'm not interested in dating right now. It may not have come across that way, but I don't want to send you mixed feelings. And if you weren't meaning it that way either, then great! No worries, and forget everything I said..."

It will suck for him to hear it up front, but it will be way easier to hear it ahead of time than it would be to hear it during the date. And it will stave off a lot of lead-up stress for him. And for you. Bite the bullet faster, it'll be easier.

• well then you can ask him in a nice way if its date or not. just out of the blue question. then you will know his mind

• I can't say I have much experience with this type of thing, but I'm pretty sure he would have meant that as a date of sorts. Just tell him you're a bit daft and didn't realise that's what he meant, you could still go afterwards if you want, no reason you can't be friends.

What Girls Said 1

• girllll this is DEF a date! I would say stop the movie date before it happens and explain to him that you don't want to date right now.. if he still wants to go I don't know if you should. You mind end up "friend zoning" him and guys hate that more than anything! so be careful, but be honest.