What do you think about cigarettes. Do you mind if your boyfriend/girlfriend smokes but you dont?

I hate cigarettes. My boyfriend smokes but I'm not controlling or judgmental at all so I don't really let it bother me. When we first started dating we both smoked but we quit together. When we broke up he started again and when we got back together I didn't say anything about it. I quit because it makes me feel sick and gross but it's not fair because I still feel like that when I'm around it. Also I have asthma and he smokes in his car with me and I want to puke! He tastes and smells like an ash tray. I hate it but I won't make him quit. I don't want to tell him what to do or make him hide anything from me

I should add in that I smoke Marijuana and mostly out of blunts- which is made from tabacco! So why do ciggs make me feel so sick but blunts dont

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly if it's bothering you, you should let him know. Tell him not to smoke around you. I'm gonna let you know that if you just say "I hate it that you smoke" it's gonna sound hypocritical because you used to smoke as well. That's probably why he thinks you don't mind.

As for me, I smoke, & most of the guys I'm interested in also smoke, so yeah.

• After reading your comment, I told him everything I told you guys and he saidit's truly very hard for him to quit. But he's not making any effort. Wtf

• It may seem like he's not making any effort because that's literally how hard it is to quit. Cigarettes is probably one of the hardest addictions to kick.

Thanks for MH though

What Guys Said 13

• Yes.
    Generally speaking girls who smoke don't even get their foot in the front door when it comes to progress in a relationship with me.

Smoking doesn't change they way I view a person but if I am considering being with a woman then we need to be compatible in our lifestyles to, so unless she was "actively" trying to quit then I see a problem with her smoking as I do try and live in a healthy fashion.

• I quit smoking 3 months ago and haven't touched one since.

I didn't stop because my GF asked me to, I stopped because I was worried about her, my friends' and family's healths - and mine of course.

I was driving to hers once, and I passed a petrol station to top up... I saw electronic cigarettes and I told myself "what the heck" ... I've now gained an impressive 10kg.

• "I quit because it makes me feel sick and gross but it's not fair because I still feel like that when I'm around it."

You object to it because it tempts you to go back to smoking... same reason people no longer want to see advertising about cigarettes.

Personally if i had girl who always gave the icky face everytime i lit up, i'd ditch her. Mass hysteria and all that.

• I am never tempted to smoke again actually. I never get tempted. Even when I get drunk with my friends and everyone is smoking cigarettes. Here's you thing. I really don't mind them! It's my asthma and the way they make me feel. I wouldn't even say I object to it. I'm just saying it honestly makes me feel sick! Believe it or not. Listen, he lights a cigg next to me and I don't make an icky face I just roll the window down but I still get a whiff every time and it makes me nauseous. When he try to kiss me afterwards I don't make an icky face because that is just rude and may hurt his feelings LOL but the taste of his lips and mouth is disgusting and the smell on him, like I said, makes me feel sick to my stomach. I don't know why they make me feel this way

• Ditch him for a non-smoker, but be aware. Even those tend to light up after sex.

• I mean I probably would keep my distance when my girlfriend smokes just because shit like that can exacerbate my chronic bronchitis. Besides that I care about her so of course I'd take her however I can have her.

• Hard situation. Like you i don't like smoking its a big turn off. A relationship should make you happy, if you aren't happy then something needs to change. I understand it won't be easy but if you truly want the relationship to work than tell him, if he wants the relationship to work he'll listen.

• I despise smoking. So yeah..

• Ugh me too its so gross to me. I am a fitness fanatic. I don't think It's fair. I quit for a legitimate reason. But every day I am breathing in second hand smoke and getting the affects from it- headaches, etc. Like what the hell!

• I don't think it's a medical concern I think it's just who I am lol. I just wish he would want to quit! I mean what's the point of smoking cigarettes?

• Since you are a gym freak, if I were you, I would choke the living out of him.

• Look, if someone smoked cigarettes, they wouldn't be my girlfriend.

It really is that simple.

• I hate cigarette smoke. DEAL BREAKER!

• But I've been with him for almost 4 years and when we broke up it was for 3 months and I've been dealing with it for the past year. I can't just Dump him!

• I have quit smoking myself. So as a single guy i don't think a girl who is a smoker and attractive will ever choose me.

• As non smoker/drinker i have a preference... wine/champagne on special occasions is awesome. My eyes are set for the future and i want her there with me. it's hard work.. but it can be done.
    Not a fixed preference though.

• I feel you on the non smoking thing. Cigarettes are disgusting to me but like the majority of the people I know smoke. And of course they need a smoke every 20-40 minutes and all the money it costs.

• My aunt smokes and she's been married to my uncle for 10+ years

• The reason why marijuana isn't as bad for you is because cigarettes are different. They just have a different effect. I don't condone the use of either buttttt it's not like I can tell you what to do. I can only tell you how I feel about it, right?

• I find it funny that you're a personal trainer who smokes. That's like a doctor/nurse who smokes. The girl I like, used to be an athlete in high school. She now does weed and smokes, she's ruining her body by doing it

• deal breaker they will make unhealthy children in the future

What Girls Said 9

• Honestly smoking cigs are stupid. Based on how much we know about health cigs are literally not worth it. It not like weed you don't get a high, it's not like alcohol you don't get a buzz. Literally all it does is kill you. It's the only product in the world made to shorten your life. I typically don't date people who smoke cigs just because I think it's stupid. But just explain to him that your concerned about your health, and don't want your life be compromised because of his addiction. Especially in your home or car because then your forced to inhale that shit

• I don't smoke and I prefer to date a non-smoker. I've kissed a smoker before and I don't know what exactly he smoked, but it was disgusting

• I'm not a fan, but I can tolerate it in a boyfriend to some extent.

• I used to talk to a guy who smoked. But before we started talking we were like best friends so I knew he smoked and since we werent a thing then i couldnt tell him to stop or anything. But when we did become a thing. I told him one day not to smoke cause I didn't like it and he agreed to not smoke around me at all even when he really really wanted to. So maybe you guys can come to an agreement to where he won't smoke around you or when even before hanging out with you.

• harmful for health but i dont mind if my partner is a smoker.

• Nope, can't date a smoker. And wouldn't allow that around my kids anyway

• Don't care if smoke it not I'm down to smoke to so no :) as long as I like him it's ok

• I don't smoke.
    I have dated a smoker before. It wasn't a big deal. He didn't smoke in my house or car, and he didn't taste or smell bad.
    And yes, I thought he looked sexy with a cigarette, haha!
    I did want him to quit just for health reasons, but the other things didn't bother me.

• I don't mind them. I smoke as well.