Why? ( check details )

"A man should be able to take care of a woman. "

I hear this a lot from supposedly strong and independent women who make their own money, sometimes even more than their partners or would be partners.

So yeah... why?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't understand that either, both parties should contribute something to the relationship, neither should be dependent on each other & need to be taken care of.

What Girls Said 7

• For me "take care of a woman" doesn't mean financially. I'm stubborn with commitment and I don't trust people. So I crave a guy who asks how my day is. Who does stupid things to make me smile. Someone who respects me and wants to talk to me. Finances get to a lot of people but for me my guy needs to at least ACT like he cares just to make me feel happy.

• I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say that, who also considered themselves to be strong and independent... but then again, that depends on what they mean by "taking care"? In a relationship, both parties should be able to take care of each other when necessary, be it emotionally, physically or maybe even financially. So it should work the other way around too.

• We're talking about "greens" - resources.

• "what works for me doesn't work for everyone. " - hence the question xD

• The answer is simply that everyone is different, there's no right or wrong answer to this. :P There's nothing wrong with wanting your partner to support you more than you're capable of supporting them, as long as your partner has agreed to doing it and is ok with it haha.

• I disagree with the quote. They should be able to take care of each other. That is most likely coming out of the bible and , back then, men were considered "the bread-makers" etc. Time has changed a lot since then, woman has become independent and (some) have gotten equal rights alongside men.

• Not sure. A (very big mouthed ) woman said it on this site, so i took her quote and ran around with it :)

• I agree with twilightsakura - a man needs to be able to take care of a woman emotionally and well as the other way round. Doesn't necessarily mean financially.

• But we're talking financially here. Maybe i'll address emotion in another question.

• In that case, I disagree with all these women you are referring to. Maybe 50 years ago that was the case because women simply did not have the same access to jobs that they do now, and maybe if a couple nowadays agrees that one of them will be a stay-at-home parent then for obvious reasons the other should be financially dependable. But other than that, who takes care of who financially should depend on nothing other than who happens to be paid more.

• corectement! :)

• Both ways taking care of each other. It's not all about money, but the emotional needs of each other.

• women needs men to take care of them. not to give them money. . they need sb to always be there for

• I don't feel adressed by this. =)

What Guys Said 3

• well personally, i think a guy should generally strive to be self sufficient. If he wants to invite another person in his life to share in that self sufficiency, that's fine. But i think the most important thing is for a guy to be able to take care of himself. If he can't take care of himself, i doubt he'd be able to take care of a woman anyways

• Why should he take care of a woman? And yes he pays for his share = he can take care of himself.

• Maybe i should pointed out this is a question for the first 3 dates - when you barely know each other - in which case i wouldn't want to "take care" for even pay for a total stranger.

• well i hold the opinion that the person who made the invite should be the one who paid. i dont charge people to come to my birthday party to cover the costs, and so i wouldn't do that to a gal that i invited out. Besides, as the guy, you have the power to choose where the date is. It can be at a cheap place or a place that costs zero cash. It's all up to you. But as the relationship progresses, i think its definitely fair and prudent that the bill be split, or you alternate on who pays the whole bill. Whatever arrangement that the couple can agree to is ultimately the best decision

• lol my girlfriend said she's gonna take care of me 8)

• Yeah just like the woman should be able to take care of the man