Would you date a man with a criminal record?

i got busted for selling weed when I was 18 and trafficking narcotics in Niagara Falls when I was 21.

I also shoplifted a ps3 from an electronics store when I was 16 and have a pending aggravated assault charge. I also got a couple DUIs..

I don't live that life anymore and am going to college now b/c I want a stable career and a woman in my life to keep me balanced.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some of that I could overlook.

The DUIs? Would depend how far over the limit you were. If it was a case you were slightly over, it may be you didn't quite know your limit so far enough. If you were absolutely hammered and endangered lives... no.

The assault charge? No. As soon as violence is involved, that's a dealbreaker for me. In my mind, if it was okay to do it to someone else, it'll be okay to do to me. I don't want a violent relationship.

I think you'd need to show serious change, like maybe going to a help group, something like that. Getting to college and a good job is an excellent step and would definitely make me consider you. Until I saw redemption for the violence though... not a chance.

What Girls Said 16

• No thanks. "I want a stable career and a woman in my life to keep me balanced." If you're life is a constant teeteter totter and you need my weight to level you out, then you've got issues. That implies that your life would be in ruins if there wasn't someone who owned a vagina constantly cracking a whip telling you not to fuck up.

• no i couldn't date someone with a criminal record.
    for one minor offence, maybe, but never for multiple offences.

• If he had one thing on his record I could forgive it if he had a good personality but you have more than one dent on your criminal record so I wouldn't forgive it - also a violent dent too. I could forgive everything else but I could not forgive somebody who had violence on their criminal record. Maybe if he had been clean for 8-10 years and had become religious I'd date him but otherwise it's a no for me.

• Probably not. I have my own career to think of and seeing as said career is in criminal justice... it just wouldn't be good to be with an offender. Regardless of whether or not he's currently offending.

• It would depend exactly what kind of criminal record he had. Are they minor or major offences, violent or non violent? Plus, I'd also want to get to know him as a person and see how his personality is as well as check out his sense of humor before I'd consider dating him.

• I believe people can change, but not change to the point of them never thinking of doing the same wrong things again.
    So... no.

• I was betrothed to a guy who had been on meth for years until he turned to Christ.

And then he cheated on me & blamed me for it. lol.

Anyway, no. That type of criminal record would not infringe on a decent girl's love for you.

• Being affiliated with criminal record holders is below my standards and royally fucks with my security clearances. So no.

• If someone truly loves you for you than they will not worry about the path it took you to get to be the person you are today.

• Sure why the hell not, there are worse things than being a criminal. Besides it sounds like you have turned your life around in a positive way.

• I could over look it if he was insanely attractive and reformed.

• When I was 15 I dated a guy who was in trouble with the law at the time and was meant to be going to jail but was lucky enough to get out of going to jail

• People make mistakes. If he was a good person I would. Like Jesse from Breaking Bad, I'd date him in a second.

• It depends on what his record was. If he was a rapist, murderer, absolutely NOT. If he got caught drinking & driving, I'd be understanding of that.

• WHAT. Drinking and driving is a risk to EVERYONE and absolutely irresponsible behavior.

• We are all human & make mistakes. I can be more lenient of someone drinking & driving vs. someone murdering & raping someone.

• Drunk drivers deserve to get royally fucked by the system. It's inexcusable. It's horrible. It's absolutely immeasurably STUPID.

• I suppose it would really depend on if the person was indeed over that part of their life...

• Yes, as long as you have learned from your mistakes. Also, as long as non of your crimes involve children or domestic abuse.

What Guys Said 2

• Wow dude you should be getting ass left and right. Girls love the bad boy.

• Do you guys in the US have the 7 year clean slate rule?