Ladies: 20 Something Man Living With Parents... Turn Off?

I'm 23, and I literally finished college a few weeks ago. I live with my parents, and I am 20K deep in student loan debt.

When I talk to women, my relationships never work in my favor because I refuse to tell them I live with mommy and daddy. I have heard women say they think its a turn off when a man lives with his parents. And a lot of women seem to always express how independent they are and how they live on their own, etc...

-I have a car

-I have a job (I only work weekends). I spend my weekdays writing my book series and trying to get published. I also spend weekdays looking for a job within my major and going to interviews when I get them.

-I have money. I have 5K. But I would like to live with my parents, because I want to pay off my loans first so I don't have to worry about owing anybody in the long run. I would also like to get my loans paid off so I can by my dream car (a Camaro) after.

With all that being said... ladies, if you met me and asked about my living situation, would it be embarrassing and turn off for you since I still live with my parents?

• It's a Turn Off
  • Doesn't Matter To Me
  • See Reults

Most Helpful Girl

• It wouldn't matter to me if. You told me the reason behind it was that one. If you were doing it just because or maybe because you don't want the responsibility of being on your oun it probably would be.

But the fact that you live with them because you are responsible and want to leave that debt behind before getting into a new one I find it attractive cause it shows me you are mature.

What Girls Said 9

• Well, I wouldn't care if you told me that at the first date but I must admit that it would be annoying in a relationship.

• What's your major?

• Doesn't matter! Especially if you have a reason to be there! and I think it is actually a smart idea to live with your parents and save money.

• If I like someone, their living situation wouldn't matter to me at all. You're still young. I've lived for a long period of time on my own and it was fucking shit! stay home, save money! That's smart!

• Doesn't matter to me at all

• I voted it doesn't matter because girls your age are still living with their parents and going to school... if you explain all this to a woman you're dating, she'd probably understand. Now, a guy in the age range I date living at home is a MAJOR turn off so get yourself out of debt asap and get on your own.

• It ain't an issue to me.

• That's exactly where I'm going to be in 3 years, so I could care less.
    It would be nice if your parents are ok with us boning in your house though, because I know mine won't be. :(

• i wouldn't mind if i knew the reason you lived with your parents. it would eventually get in the way of alone time.

What Guys Said 3

• Not directly related to your immediate question, but I had a conversation recently with a law school friend of mine who came to mind as I was reading your post.

He ended up finishing with a 2.9 GPA (3.3 is the median GPA). We were very close in law school, because he was a great guy. So, I always hooked him up with my outlines, and I'd study with him, even though it would slow me down, because I liked the guy and wanted to help him out.

After law school, he couldn't find a job. He had $234,000 in student loans, and his payments were coming due. He went online to check how much he had to make as a payment each month, and it was $2,857.27. In the mean time, he didn't have a job. So, he started to panic. He was applying for jobs, but the only jobs available were "law clerk" or "legal assistant" or "paralegal" positions that paid $10 to $15 per hour (without health insurance). So, he got a job, and applied for some income-based repayment program that reduced his minumum payment down to $3 or $4 per month (but the rest of the unpaid interest would suffer from negative amortization and his loan balance would increase each month)!

With the money he was making from his "legal" job, he couldn't even afford to pay rent, food, utilities, transportation to get to and from work, and health insurance to stay alive and show up healthy to work, let alone pay down his student loan debt. Each month that was going by, his job was literally putting him $2,800 in the hole.

Now, I didn't know this, and when we talked, I talked to him about retirement and saving to start a family and for his childrens' education, and he broke down and told me about his situation.

The reality is, things are tough out there. There are too many people and nobody should be having kids. We need to cut back the supply of cheap labor and reduce the demand for limited resources to drop the cost of living and increase the quality of life.

• If you meet someone who has an "issue" with you basically "existing" and "not being born rich," then you don't need someone like that in your life. That's not just an Oprah fluffy emotional support speech; it's the truth. What that girl is showing you is that she doesn't understand what the real world is like, and would rather live in the world of an MTV video or fantasy rather than have any clue of the reality she's living in, how the real world is, and what what kind of situation most 23 year old guys and girls are in. Plus, with today's economic constraints, money is better allocated towards saving for retirement and planning for the future rather than "rent" to "be on your own" and "feel independent" from your parents (or have sex in private). Believe me, I "wish" I could still live with my parents; I'd be more than $2,000 richer each month.. money in my pocket and not in my landlord's pocket.

• I'm a 26 year old male living with my parents.. I don't think I'm undesirable.. You will get your stuff together and be independent before I will man so *clap* *clap* *clap*

• Do you have a college degree or not?

• Do you know of any guys our age or older that are still able to get/have a girlfriend, get laid even though they are not well established or financially stable, don't have their own place yet?

• @moviedude714 yes I have a girlfriend. I think girls appreciate it when guys are working on themselves no matter what stage they're in. Not everyone knows what they want to do as a teenage. That's unrealistic for most people.

• i hope not