Is it weird to date people that you've met online?

I've met guys online before who want to date me. I do want to date some of them, but I'm scared to tell my family that we met online.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't see why it would be weird, I find online it is much easier to get a feel for someones personality that you might not otherwise find out by seeing a face in a crowd. Especially for shy guys like myself I find it much easier to find like minded individuals :)

The only real drawback of online dating I find is obviously the distance, and even then if you are willing to go travel to meet someone it only shows how much more you care for them that you are willing to spend a large sum of time and money to go see them, and that they are not just an easy sex partner (not saying this doesn't happen).

• Well I don't do long distance. The guy I am talking to, lives like a city over.

What Guys Said 5

• I met this girl I'm seeing online. I initiated rather playfully, and we've been getting to know each other. I'm glad I took the chance.

Meeting and dating people online is becoming a lot more acceptable and a lot more the norm. Dating sites, facebook, myspace, twitter, tumblr, etc.

They all work really well, and you can see a lot more about someone online now-a-days. More than if you just met them randomly.

Just learn to be comfortable with how you met. It's not as uncommon as most people make it out to be.

• I've met a couple online... They ended not badly but they ended. Not saying it won't for you but you really don't know what the person is like? where as if you meet the good old fashioned way;become friends first know the person then take it from there. Coz you're dating then a few months down the line you notice their personality is very different to their "online ' personality. I'll give examples but I don't wanna bore ya. but as for telling people... why not? More and more people meet online I personally don't recommend it but it your life not mine if they can't accept how you met then that's a bit petty what are you worried about in their reaction in particular?

• These days people spend so much time on social media and pubs are closing at a phenomenal rate, where else will you meet people these days. Internet dating is more advanced than the old hit and miss methods of the past. You need to explain this to family. It;s just the way things are now.

• If you meet a good man that you care about and who makes you happy, then who cares how you met him?

Your family will just have to get on board with it and get over it.

• It's not a good idea, but, it's possible. It depends on if you're willing to do the whole long distance thing. That usually doesn't work, though my aunt and uncle currently have a long distance marriage of at least 5 years

• It's not long distance. Ahaha I should've said that in the post... I don't do long distance, he's lives in the next city over.

• Some would say even that's long distance. In my city, Cleveland, we have what's known as "East-Siders" and "West-Siders". The two hate each other and well, the girl I like, is a West Sider, and hour away. I'm on the East side

• It would be long distance for me, basically

What Girls Said 2

• Three years ago, a man from Egypt found me on Fb and we started a whirl wind romance. After getting to know him and his lovely family some more, I then flew off to the magical land of Cairo, where I returned 3 Months later, tying the knot at the Ministry of Justice.
    And it is not so much 'Online' this relationship it's the idea that it Is----Long Distance. And with coming back to the states 2 years ago, we have had our ups and downs of course.
    Being you are of age, tell your family you are old enough to Date Who you want, your business. It shouldn't make a hill of beans if he came from Outter Space.
    And besides, if nothing has transpired with him as of yet, I do not feel it is even Necessary to open up a can of worms at this point in time. Find out for yourself First whether he is something worth taking home to Sunday dinner.
    Good luck. xx

• Seee I'm just scared cause it's not a long distance thing, but I live with my daddy & he's really over protective of me & hasn't been aware of me dating... Soo I'm just concerned how he's gonna react.

• He is a normal dad who is naturally overprotective of his little girl, naturally he would be Upset if he Knew you were dating. However, work out something where you can meet up, get to know him better, then explain to daddy dearest that he is someone you like and you would like Him to know him better...

• Don't date online

• Why not?

• That way you don't have to worry about telling people how you met