How do you cancel a date after accidentally accepting?

I'm a college freshman who just started school about 3 weeks ago. I formed a mixed-gender friend group pretty quickly, which was great; we go out for yogurt, dinner, exploring, etc. all the time as a group. There is a particular guy in my group who I never thought of as more than a friend; he's not my "type" and I'm not attracted to him at all. I was friendly to him, but I'm friendly to everybody.

Anyways, today after a class, he asked me on a date out of the blue. Normally, had he been more clear, I would have politely declined, but he asked first if I "wanted to hang out on Friday". I assumed he was planning a thing for our whole group, so I accepted. It was until after that, that he clarified that "it was just us" and "he wanted to make his intentions clear"...

What do I do? I'm freaking out here... I'm not interested in him or even dating in general right now, and I don't want to go on the date. I do, however, want to be friends still and I certainly don't want things to be awkward in our group. Any suggestions?

I did it! He took it well... he said he understood and that it was pretty early in the school year for that kind of thing. Thank you for all your advice. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes tell him just what you said , your not dating right now and would like to be friends first. that simple he is a big boy he can handle it.:)

What Guys Said 1

• What I did when I was going out with someone whom I had no intentions of being with was completely mess up the date. Talk about ex's, cry about your past; just be a total train wreck and he'll run away faster than you can say 'Alabama'. lol

What Girls Said 3

• Tell him what you told us. You were unaware of his intentions and you're not into dating right now

• Just be honest and it will work out just fine. I wish you luck!

• Tell him how you truly feel or avoid that and make an excuse like you forgot you already plans that day