Do you prefer looks over personality? Personality over looks? Or 50/50?

Some people say personality is the most important. I think looks is as important as personality. You don't really wanna wake up next to someone you don't find attractive. Even if it's just one thing you like about them, I think looks are important. What do you think?

I also read it's like 70% looks and 30% personality. It varies on the person obviously.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, only because I've had to construct a case rating scale for new intakes, I would think of this problem as follows:

1. If a girl was completely ugly, like "horrid" ugly, what other qualities would she need to have so that I would even consider being with her? Worth $5 trillion dollars and nicer than Mother Theresa? Nope, sorry, still couldn't do it. God bless women, I don't know how they could be with an ugly man, but my prostitute instincts haven't have 20,000 years of a leg-up in experience to compete. So, I'm gonna have to sit that one out.

2. Fine, what if the girl was just "average" in terms of looks. No "disutility," but not "utility" either. Okay, well, I would say that she's motivated me about 10 to 20% to pull the trigger and consider being in a long-term relationship with her.

3. Fine, then what's the other 80-90%? Her current net income, net income growth, net assets, family status, her status, her career/profession, her character, her personality, her emotional stability, her emotional intelligence, her ability to be self-aware, her ability to communicate, understand how others besides her feel, actually give a sh*t about how others feel, be fair and meaningfully compromise, how she resolves conflict in a relationship, how she bargains and negotiates, how much she cares about the happiness of others and what's important to them, her values and attitude towards raising children (i. e., parenting style/goal/strategy), and her goals in life and view of the world.

4. Fine, what's a rough break-up of the interpersonal versus financial traits? I would say, 40% weight allocated to financial, the other 40% weight allocated to interpersonal (i. e., if she lacks seriously in either, she's at just 60% if she's perfect in the other aspects, but, 60% isn't exactly great).

5. Fine, but where does sex fall into all of this? Under "interpersonal" obviously.

Hope that helps.

What Guys Said 8

• Well, with me 50/50 % i usually don't care about looks
    personality is a big plus most certainly if i worried about
    every girls looks i would be going crazy and my ex gf's
    i loved them both at one time and they were average
    but i was once in love with each when we were
    together :)))
    P. S. Yes i was attracted to them no pb

• I prefer a great personality with some decent looks.
    Personality 60%
    Looks 40%
    But you're missing sexual compability lol. Unless you're asexual, you're bound to have sex with your partner at some point. So I think a good gf would be want with a great combination of personality, looks and sexual spirit.

• Personality with out a doubt

• looks (filler)

• At least I know I'm not the only one who focuses more on looks

• For me it is
    (%40 - %30 looks %60 - %70 personality )
    I am able to overlook a lot an typically like what most would call average looking, but personality is golden.

• Looks is the initial attraction but personality seals the deal.

• Yeah, both are needed I guess.

• 60/40 looks personality.

• I think they are both equally important.
    Way to many girls down play the importance of a guys looks on here. They basically say it doesn't matter or as long as he treats me nice that's truly what matters.

What Girls Said 7

• No one can dig into their subconscious mind to dig out the exact answer to this question.

As I spend more and more time with a person, looks matter less and less. If you are a dickhead and rely heavily on good first impressions, be 10/10 and hope for the halo effect. if you are not good looking, spend more time with people that will pay attention to you, but do not bug people who have decided to cut you off, other possible dates pick up on this and will later also want to ignore you.

• Looks until you start living with him LOL

• When you like someone, they really get to be attractive. :D It's like magic so I am more into personality.

• Personality is ofc very important, but for me looks are important as much as the personality. As you said you don't wanna wake up next to some who you don't find attractive. You can always say it doesn't matter and the person has a good personality but at the end you will find yourself looking for other people who are better looking than the one you are with. So if I ever come across choosing a partner for myself, I'll care for both things the same.

• i'm superficial and i hate it so much , i only like good looking douches who ignore me and i can't change anything about it -_-''

• High given I'm superficial asf and that's probably why I get no one.-.

• I know.-. But then again some people that say personality is everything, are probably lying. Cause you do need at least one thing to like about the person

• emm i would love to fall for someone nice and for his personality :D HAHHA 'hoping'

• well if I look at a guy and he has a good appearance then I will start on caring about his personality, but if I look at a guy and he's ugly then he has no chance for me to care about his personality even of his personality it's better than the good looking guy. that's my preference just saying. bring on the downvotes but I am being honest here and I don't go for all the BS.

• That's basically me. The honesty is appreciated!

• I'm 50/50. The guy I like has like 1 minor visual flaw that can easily be fixed. He has a twin who looks like him but less now then when they were young. I've know this guy for a while haha... But his twin is slightly cuter however the guy I like is SO much sweeter so to me it's personality and appearance but the important things to me are lips hair and believe it or not eyelashes. If they have goo hair lips and eyelashes I'm set

• The hair is always important haha