So what is the age for a person to give up on finding a significant other?

So the question says it all. If someone has good qualities but for various reasons has been unable to find a partner in his/her life, what do you suppose would be 'upper limit' in terms of age for him/her to stop considering the possibility of having a partner, and find other ways of making life worthwhile?

I'm 28 now, and I gave up on women after a truckload of unsuccessful attempts (either bad relationships or rejections). I have found other ways of making my life worthy of living, and I have realized that I don't need a woman to 'complete' my life or make me happy. And needless to say, I'm enjoying this 'independent' life where i don't have to be answerable to anyone.

Most Helpful Girl

• There many people well into their 40`s and 50`s who get divorced and yet still find another partner,... why should you give up at 28 when you`ve had none?

Having said that, now if it`s your personal choice to stay single forever, then that`s up to you.. and what you feel most comfortable with.

• It is not really a personal choice to stay single, but I had to forcibly MAKE that a personal choice due to repeated failures.

You're right, maybe I should give it another go before finally giving up for good.

• No no no! My standards aren't high even by the the wildest stretch of imagination! I'm more attracted to a great personality than a pretty face. So it usually takes me some time to understand a woman's personality before I can develop a liking for her and possibly approach her.

• Thank you for MHG! :]]]

Most Helpful Guy

• Lots of people your age have younger sisters and cousins... so... never?

• Huh? I didn't get your point. Would you mind elaborating? I mean... what does this have to do with me having younger sisters or cousins? I was asking about a person's individual choice of when he/she thinks people should give up.

• Only pay attention to the ones who think you're an 8. The rest don't matter anyway. Probably not their type.

• Guess I should do that! This country is fucked up in so many ways, anyway. I'm being overworked and underpaid. No value or recognition for my skills. I worked as a pizza delivery guy for 1 whole year after my graduation, due to lack of opportunities. Can you believe it? I have more or less made up my mind to apply for a PR Visa and move to a developed country where I get at least some recognition for my skills and talent, and not paid peanuts. And maybe, I'll have better luck with women too, in the other country! ;)

What Girls Said 8

• I'm turning 29 soon and I only had two boyfriends. I've given up a couple times it seems to be a phase but one that don't last. It happens effortlessly. Every one asks why am I always single if I'm pretty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have a low tolerance for bs. Which is what I hear my friends go through with guys. I rather be alone then with someone I don't like or don't like me. Guys looks are the least of my worry its the respect mostly of themselves and me. I diss a lot of guys yes but I also get dissed by a lot I'm shy but I'm bold. I don't feel hurt in anyway. I move on to the next. So for everyone telling you to give up - hopefully it's because they know you receive what your really want when you least expect it. The hole time your going to wish you met them sooner.

• I too enjoy the independent life right now and have no interest in settling down any time soon (im 23) but to answer your question. .. its NEVER too late :) you could find the woman of your dreams when you are old and grey. A person should never make finding a significant other the only worthwhile thing in their life... they should find happiness and experience things in life everyday... gain some knowledge and success before they try to actively look for that special someone. im a strongly believe that when you are no out looking for something it is the most likely time you will find it.

• Thank you! :)

• you're welcome. . even though my spelling is atrocious! sorry about that. I am on my cell phone, tend to make mistakes when I type fast :)

• I'm the same age. I just turned 28 and I feel it's too late for me to find someone. I'm an ugly woman, and I've been rejected so many times because of it. I feel the older I get, the less chance I am going to meet someone. I think once I hit 30, I will give up completely.

• I can understand how it feels to be unattractive. You're not 'ugly' by any standards, its just the the shallow people in the world are too su[superficial to appreciate your beauty! :)

• If I'm not married or dating by 25 lol then I'm gonna go ahead and do in vitro fertilization before I hit 30 and turn too old to have kids

• You should give up at age 30 then you will find the perfect woman. Girls love quitters.

• Never. I have seen people find their signiffigant other when they're well into their 80s and 90s.

• Probably around 35, my family married in their early 30s and it worked for them.

• 90s maybe, bc people in nursing homes still hook up in their 80s and are satisfied with what they get.

• Oops! yeah, I do hear about these things, but those are exceptions. Kudos to them for being so patient until that age, though. I don't have that kind of patience. I'd rather focus on doing something productive, rather than keep making attempts all my life with no guarantee of success at any point, thereby wasting all those precious years.

• Thanks for your kind words! :)

• No problem :)

What Guys Said 5

• You sound ready to me. Don't give up just try and make it your side focus instead if your primary focus. When things seem hopeless the answer isn't to stop all together just don't focus on the failures, stat positive and move forward.

I don't think there's a set age to give up but I'd say it gets pretty difficult after 40 since a lot of people are married with children. But even then it's not impossible.

• Now this is sound advice. I could just go on with my life without actively 'seeking' a woman. If i find someone by accident, well and good. Otherwise, still I can manage. :)

• Well what I'm saying is that, we tend to make finding someone our purpose but that's not guaranteed to make us happy even if we succeed.

Pursue the a activities, passions, dreams, a and hobbies that you enjoy doing but that are also "productive". Try and do well in your career, enjoy your day to day life as much as possible, and ask look for things that you're grateful for, acknowledge that gratitude you feel.
      Talk to women you see but don't make hooking them a goal. It's good to put yourself in positions to meet single women but do this only during your free time the rest of your time should be "you" time.

• Not til the day you die, buddy. You're always capable and worthy of seeking out love, and age doesn't factor into it at all.

There's just no arbitrary age where you should all of a sudden decide to throw in the towel.

• Especially to big jugged pirate women on skateboards with fistfuls of clementines :)

• I'm 28, and I have been told that I look a lot younger (about 22 or 23).

And thanks a million for your kind and encouraging words! In this cruel world where selfish people don't even care about their close ones, I'm really happy that you are being kind to a random stranger on the internet! Much appreciated, dear sir!

• You're very welcome, I'm just glad I could be of some small help. :-)

• its whenever the age you suddenly found out you're actually gay

• Now this is totally not true, and a bit offensive to people. I don't see how giving up after several failed attempts is a worse option than keep attempting and wasting time, with no guarantee of success at any point.

And gay people are attracted to those of their own gender, so if the person who gives up isn't attracted to people of his/her gender, they can't be gay.

• I've given up on relationships. No one wants me, and I have a (mostly) good personality.

• i'm 22 and gave up already

• 22 id a bit too early pal. What was your reason for giving up?

• Me? No, I haven't really put in efforts to find someone in the recent past.