What is the deference in dating and having a relationship?

I alway thought dating a having a relationship with someone was the same thing.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the culture and context of the people involved. I too believe they're the same. But for others, 'dating' is the phase of getting to know each other and determining their compatibility, before officially entering into a relationship.

What Guys Said 7

• I've noticed there are some slightly differing oppinions here. Do you date exclusively or are you free to date other people at the same time I guess is the bottom of it. Personally I would look at it as if the girl I'm dating was seeing other people would I be happy with that? I'm a one at a time kinda guy. If your dating it's cos you like each other and are thinking about starting a relationship. Why muddy the water with seeing other people?

• If you know racing then , dates are like laps and relationship is like last lap before the marriage most important. succesfull completing every lap leads you to next lap and if you crash somewhere you are out of the game. Sometime a minor problem can be cured by pit crew but still , its really hard to get the trophies.

• I think dating is simply testing the waters. Going out on dates but are officially together yet and are not exclusively with one another. While being in a relationship means that they are off the market and can only have a romantic encounter with one another.

• Dating is going exclusively, but you are not a couple, meaning your friends don't have to invite both of you, and you don't live together (yes you can have a relationship without living together but, all the rest still apply's).

In other words, dating is getting to know one another, a relationship is officially a couple.

All is said was subjectively my opinion.

• Dating is casual being in a relationship is more monogamous. To date lots of women is normal but to be in a relationship is monogamous. At least in modern times.

• A relationship is exlusive. dating is not

• Married couples have relationships but they don't always date, hence they aren't dating.

What Girls Said 0