How young is "too young"?

I was making out with a guy at a house party a few days ago. We went back to his house and hung out there (we didn't sleep together) He told me he was 19 and in first year. Later I added him on Facebook and saw on his page that he had just turned 17 two months ago, he was lying about his age! I asked him about it and he said it shouldn't matter and we should meet up again anyway because age is still a number. I'm a 21 year old female by the way. I'll be 22 in January. Which means I'm about four and three quarters years older than him. To think he was just 16 a few months ago scares me, that he was in school and everything. Am I being paranoid or should I continue talking to him + meet up with him? I really like him, we like each other, but I'm not sure if the age difference is okay (He's barely legal for starters) and just left his parent's home to go to college. I've been renting outside of my parents home for five years now. I worry that we're at different stages of our lives + that it wouldn't work. Plus (and I know this maybe makes me shallow) I would be so embarrassed to tell my friends I had a 17 year old boyfriend! Is 17 too young? I turn 22 in January. Honest opinions please!

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like you have more doubts than hope that it'd work out.

I think lying isn't a good way to start any relationship. Also, your point about being in different stages in your lives is huge. Especially between men and women, the maturity level often becomes an issue. However, seeing as you both really like each other (and given that it's alright in your state to date someone 17), maybe it wouldn't hurt to just give it a shot for now at least.

Age differences can be tricky, but it really is case by case. Sometimes it doesn't work, other times it does. Just takes the right attitude, flexibility, and communication to do so.

What Guys Said 5

• minor is a minor, but within your own laws. I personally fray from them. jailbait is jailbait lol. not even an option.

encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images

• 17's a bit old for a 22 year old. And illegal in some places.

I'm going off the US, so don't argue with me just because you live somewhere else. A 17 year old in the US is in high school, most likely JUST got his driver's license ( or just had it a year). You're 22, legally allowed to drink and are potentially a college graduate.

He's much too young from a stage-of-life perspective. Let's say you started dating. You know what it's like in college. SO he's starting his freshman year in college while you are starting your career? How long do you think that will potentially last?

• Well he lied so that's a red flag of immaturity regardless of age. "Youth is fleeting but immaturity is forever."

I'd say regardless of what you so follow your heart and brain.

• Bad idea like the previous guy said, the age 4 years head start is irrelevant however life and maturity stages are relevant.. with thus said... he will leave h. s and venture into whilst your searching for a job and probbaly a grad student.

• Honestly? Nothing.

Too young is whatever will get me arrested. If laws changed, my tastes would *magically* change as well.

What Girls Said 4

• I know girls your age that have dates guys that guys age. It is just a stupid relationship since he is way more immature than you are. But then again if you see him as a cool person you might have his level of immaturity too.
    As long as shits legal then I don't think it's wrong. I personally wouldn't do it though, but that's because I like way older than me men.

• I don't think age should be the only criteria in a relationship. My guy is 11 years older than me.
    Still, I would be very careful. Sexual contact, even if only perceived, could be damaging to you.
    Skate the ice just watch out for the thin stuff..

• He's still legal.

Stop over thinking it. Just go with the flow.

• Half you age plus seven should be the minimum