Girls: Would you be attracted to a guy who is in good shape physically, but is a massive geek?

I'm in pretty good shape, and to be honest I don't look like I fit my personality.

In all reality, I got into archery and started staying in shape because of the Lord of the Rings. But when I started getting into it I looked about right for my personality, stereotypical short and thin nerdy guy. The problem is, now I look a lot like I have an interest in sports, which I really have no clue about.

So girls, what I'm asking is: If you met a guy who was in good shape, and had muscle definition that made it look like he was really athletic, but was actually a pretty big geek (high iq, knew a ton of random facts, great at arguing, somewhat poor social skills), would that put you off, or make you less attracted to him?

Update: I figured it might help to add a photo. That way I don't over or under exaggerate what I am trying to say.

http://i.imgur.com/x4hHiYv.jpg

So this.

Most Helpful Girl

• It all depends on which girl you are asking this question - everyone has different perspectives on what is "attractive". Some girls like super muscular guys, or guys who are skinny, or somewhere in the middle. Hopefully most girls do not make judgement on the physical appearance of a man and base that on whether or not they "like them or not". I think that one thing all girls can agree on is just making sure the guy is physically healthy (no health problems in which the physical appearance plays a role in such as unhealthy overweight or unhealthily underweight) Based on the previous answers, as you can see, all the answers vary because everyone has different tastes in what is attractive. As what I see, you have nothing to be insecure or worrying about! Maybe work on those "socially awkward skills" and build confidence in yourself because you seem like a very bright and intelligent young man! Maybe join a public speaking club/class? I think in every gender, we can agree that confidence is a trait that is "attractive" :) Just be confident in who you are because you seem to be very capable! Good luck! :)

What Girls Said 117

• My boyfriend is a massive geek. But he'll never own up to it until you present him with the facts :p News flash, when you play video games like it's your job, graduate top 10 in your class, read physics books for fun, have an opinion of Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter, and can discuss with evidence Star Wars and then compare it to Star Treck, it makes you kind of a geek.

He's was also captain of both his swim and water polo teams in HS and has already made co-captain on both respective teams at a college that is so prestigious it doesn't even have an honors college on campus. He spends about 6 hours a day swimming. He's in pretty damn good shape. So I'm not put off by the intelligence and geek/nerd jargon that comes out of his mouth.

In my opinion he's the total package and I'm all over that.

• The guy I'm obsessed with is a "geek." Smart, gamer (league of legends), half Asian (I know it's a stereotype but Asian dudes can be considered geeky by many), plays piano... But he is really handsome and has an incredible body.

HOWEVER, he does balance his geekiness out by being athletic (he's a swimmer). I would say work to be a little more well rounded in the realm of physical activity because it is both healthy and sexy. It could be fencing, rock climbing, tennis (super sexy)... Whatever you like

And PLEASE don't ever be a geek that makes your woman into a game widow (ie. will ignore her to play D&D or halo or something). NOT COOL and gives geeks a bad name

• Sure, that's my ideal. I am in a relationship with one.

• Lol, it almost seems like you're asking if being in shape or having an interest in archery would be a deterrent... No, quite the opposite. 1. I like guys who have interests/activities other than sitting at home like a slug all day and night. It shows me they have a life and are enjoying it. 2. Guys in shape are hot!. 3. Guys who are intellectual and in shape are extra hot!

• I'm more asking an expectation vs. reality question. If the guy looks like he knows a lot about things like sports or would have an easy time around the opposite sex, but in reality knows a lot about things like world of warcraft and is still kind of awkward around the opposite sex. I wanted to know if that would be off putting. But it seems that I'm just being uncomfortable in my own skin.

• Yeah, seems like you are just getting used to it yourself. Well, you would have some knowledge in one sport (e. g., archery), right?
      It's not off putting.

• I like a guy who has a healthy lifestyle and who can wow me with his mind. However, the confidence and social skills thing is important too. While it might not be a big deal initially, because once you talk about things in your element you're more likely to loosen up and feel more confident, it's important to me because I wouldn't want to date a guy who can't carry a decent conversation with my friends and family or shies away whenever I want to go to an event or party.

• I am into "geeks" - because I am one as well.

I run and work out but I also play video games, read marvel comics, and play Magic the Gathering. I am more of a nerd than a geek. But either way, it is a part of who you are and proves you are passionate about something. If you loved debating and knowledge, you will find someone who does too. Maybe not now but one day you will. Someone who is intelligent, geeky, and/ or nerdy wants to be with another who is as well.

• Let me first just say, I'm in love with LOTR, so that's awesome :) Archery is sweet too.
    But I would definitely be way more attracted to the geeky type than the athletic type. I'm not attracted to the athletic type at all usually, but being in shape is also a great plus because it lets us know that you're healthy and taking care of your body, which is an attractive treat. Intelligence and having an interest in things like LOTR is way more interesting to me than a love of sports.
    Unless that sport is quidditch.

• Actually yeah but i'm not normally attracted to normalcy or mediocrity or whatever - the guys I get attracted too are usually a bit... different in some way. Call it geeky if ya want but its not to me. Not all girls think the same but i'll let ya in on something - if you show vulnerability to them in person or show at all that YOU think you are a geek then they will too. It will just always be there - just be CONFIDENT and be proud of who you are. Girls LOVE confidence, no matter whether it comes from being at the gym and being into sports or watching Lord Of The Rings. Its all about how you play it. Don't apologize or feel bad or pretend to be someone you aren't - if they don't like you then you are just being set up for whomever will.

• I'm a geek too. Star Wars and DnD over here :) I don't care about looks, but you're attractive. I prefer a guy I can have deep and intelligent conversations with.

• I swear to God, your description of yourself almost reminds me of the guy I like right now. He's a massive nerd, minors in computer science and he's had a perfect 4.0 GPA since freshman year. He learns things for fun; like this summer he learned how to juggle just so he can say he can juggle and he's always telling me weird things that I don't think anyone else would know. He's also a little muscular, enough that people don't think he's a nerd upon meeting him. So yes, personally I would be attracted to nerdy guys in good shape.

• yeah sexy geeks. thats exactly my type lol. seriously. i dont find myself attracted to guys who are super in shape bc sports is all they care about. but then reds / feels who dont mind their body equally a turn off.

geek + hot body its basically a combination requirement in order for me to new attracted to a guy.. I can't be the only one.

• It depends on if there's actually any chemistry between us. I don't care how good looking or well accomplished a guy is; if there's no chemistry or connection, I'm moving on with my time.

Geekiness as an open-minded, mature adult is simply perceived as high intelligence and passionate interest in math or science related topics. Anyone else who acts like you're worth less for being a geek needs to grow up and stop acting like they're in high school. You'd be better off without them.

• No, quite the opposite. I like guys with geeky personalities, because I think it's really attractive when people are into things. And also because I may be a bit of a geek myself. A fit good body like yours is only extra points in my opinion ^^ And you got fit because of LoTR? That's kinda weird, but super cool, me approves XD

• "Massive geeks" are the best ones. That's my opinion anyway, but I know lots of girls would agree with me. Those are best guys you will find.

• So you mean a hot nerd? Duh, of course. Pretty ideal to me hahaha. Although I hate anyone who loves to argue. Unless you mean he's great at debating? I love debating!

I've dumped hot dumb guys, even if it was just a sexual relation. I just can't deal with stupidity.

One guy did not know the Gestapo. He was interrogating me (asking me a lot of questions that I didn't feel like answering and thought it was not necessary for him to know about this information) so I told him "what is this Gestapo treatment". And he just didn't get it.. Major turn of and never contacted him again.

But that's crazy me.. I was just flabbergasted he never heard of the Gestapo, even when I explained who they were, WTH! You;re Dutch like me, so you must know the major details of WW2/Nazism.

• Yeah, of course! That is ideal for me. My SO is very much like that - he's a geeky/nerdy gym-going jock, lol.

You look like you have a nice face too. At least the bottom half that is not covered by your camera 😀

• To be honest, nerdy guys that are physically fit are my type! I am very social and somewhat girly, but I conceal that I am a major Nintendo gamer, an anime fan, love reading, writing and that I spent my summer finishing games I bought! (I feel like people don’t see it going together though :0 ...)! Just like you are geeky! I applaud you finishing all of the lord of the rings movie (I am assuming though! But I bet it’s true!)
    But to answer your question: How do I say this….. Mmm… BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! That’s the way I see it and those are the guys are the best!
    :P Be proud!

• I think that would be really amazing actually. Being fit is good, but smart is great. And archery and knowing random facts as a bonus? Sign me up. :)

• Well you look fit but me personally I would love how you are a "nerd" or "geek". You are intelligent and there is nothing wrong with that. If it is a turn off for any girl then you don't need them. If a girl thinks oh, he looks athletic im going to talk to him, thats kinda self-centered. But perhaps there is a girl who likes how you look AND how you know random facts. I would be one of those girls

• To me for a guy to be a geek and nicely fit it's sexy

• Oh hell yeah... you do archery to? Do you do a Legolas cosplay?

• I think that's great. If I can be super nerdy with a dude and still be excited to take him out places because he looks good, then that's just an addition to me. Every girl's different, though!

• Hell no! I'm a huge geek myself (see doctor who profile pic haha) and let me tell you, it is extremely hard to find an attractive guy who has even remotely similar interests. I have spent an entire day walking around in a teletubby siut with a few friends dressed as Pikachu, Batman, and a Sumo wrestler. I don't think I look the part either but I embrace my nerdiness with a passion lol.

• nope, don't think so

• I think that being a geek doesn't make a guy less attractive. If he's fit and is intelligent, then this is the perfect combination!

• omg no a in shape guy that is smart is such a turn on for me at least. One of the best combinations I think. I would totally love to have a guy into fitness and still be able to help me with my homework from time to time. Yes I also have random facts I tell people who then look at me weird. lol

• Oh nice you play archery too.. If you act like the way you are and not like someone else yes i would be attracted to you for who you are

• A nice body is always a plus being a geek who cares what because your smart and watch stuff like that no big deal. Lots of girls like that stuff too you'd be surprised not I mention surprised at the number of girls that are geeky as well lol

• physically, only face matters. i couldn't care less about body.

• For me? Absolutely! Nerds are the greatest! :D I'm a massive nerd myself and I'm not into the preps who think very highly of themselves. Nerds are more humbling than that, and they are extremely fun to talk to :)

So I would greatly prefer it :3

• More from Girls
    87

What Guys Said 20

• Honestly, you are not THAT in shape, not that you are out of shape either though. Since you are young, perhaps the girls won't like the geeky side of you, but once you get older women appreciate that stuff more and more after being hurt by the assholes. But then again, you didn't say much about what kind of nerd you are. If you just play video games and like sci-fi, that isn't a lot going for you, but if you have ambition and take your crafts seriously, and are nerdy in the sense that you love to learn and like science and are a book worm,. then you have a lot more going for you. But in the end, you need to be a good person, not selfish, in tune with your partners needs, and put effort into a relationship, these labels don't mean that much.

• When I was reading this, I was expecting this www.myinterestingfacts.com/.../...do-Shirtless.jpg , but then I got to see this http://i.imgur.com/x4hHiYv.jpg .
    I'm not trying to put you off dude you look great, just explaining my expectations while reading the question, lol.

• Dude. i know i am a guy and you were asking women this question. but i have to say (as a man who was in your shoes) that your mind and body may not look it but are in fact one. let your body build your confidence and you will find your social skills improving naturally. just don't compromise who you are.

• "I got into archery and started staying in shape because of the Lord of the Rings". This. This right here

• just be yourself and you'll be fine. you don't need to hit those certain stats although they do help hahaa.

• You greatest drawback is your poor social skills, girls are usually defining smart/intelligent as having great social skills.

Gentleman can loosely be translated into, pampering the girl and maybe even sucking up to her.

There are geeky girls out there, who will would love someone like you, but "ordinary" girls will certainly appreciate better social skills.

• "and had muscle definition that made it look like he was really athletic,"

http://boourns.dynu.net/pics/2e16b0p.jpg.gif

• Im a huge fan of LOTR good books man and not really awnsering I know sorry but out of sheer curiosity how does LOTR help you get motivated to stay in shape? Not trying to have a go or any of that just not one of the more common reasons I hear people wanna stay in shape because of. : )

• Haha.. SAME HERE i am starting gym.. To make my body. And I am a nerd and very interested to become a good programmer... But i think being a nerd doesny matters to a girl.. I think thr thing thay matter is that a boy should be honest and loving to the girl.. So nerds are cool.. And also i am a gamer..

• I like to think so, I'm a pretty big geek myself. But I also body build five times a week, train martial arts and fish/hunt, and work on cars. I like to paint and write to.

• nerdy guys always tramp off athletic guys... which girl would bother dating an athletic dude? LOL

• As long as you talk to them I doubt they care about your social skills, unless you are really awkward

• Don't feel bad, man. I'll take lord of the rings over most girls any day lol It's not your fault you have muscle and like certain things. You're an individual

• True, I'd pick the new 2015 Legend of Zelda game over a guy too SMH lol

• you are a future miscer my friend, but you are not in good shape, u need muscle mass

• gime high five!

• i'd imagine you do have a chance

• Bro i am the same. Thing is, im not as professional as i look when it comes to flirting.

• thats a normal not fat not buff body you are acting like you are hulk

• you're a bit on the skinny side to be considered in "good shape".

• This is something I want to know too, but I'd expect that at least the girls who normally go for geeks would find you attractive and you'd have one up on unfit geeks, or at least I hope so... Are any girls turned off by fitness?