Does it really matter?

I met this really great guy. At first I thought he was just another pseudo-intellectual hipster but after hanging out with him I realized that he was genuinely smart and could hold his own when discussing psychology, philosophy, criminology etc. Usually, as a rule, I don't date. I see the messy, petty, plain dumb over romanticized relationships my best friends are in and cringe. I think it's very hard to find someone your actually compatible with so most people settle for less and change their own personalities instead of finding someone more suited to them. The thing is, this guy is perfect. He's intellectual and has an good job. He's great with people, cute, humble and values different opinions and culture. He basically sums up my perfect man. He's the kind of person that you can talk to about anything and everything for hours. And he respects me for who I am. Oh, and, I know for a fact that he has a big thing for me.
The thing is... I'm 17 and he's 25. I feel like that creates a big barrier. And he told me he's the kind of guy that values relationships. I, however value open relationships (Humans were not meant to be monogamous) Should we be friends with benefits, or should I test the whole relationship thing out? I don't want to ruin our friendship, its amazing.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think that it matters that the age gap matters that much, as you seem pretty mature. I think you should see if there is a relationship there.

What Guys Said 3

• If you like him for who he is why do you need to have sex with him? Sure it could make you closer but it could also bring an end to your intellectual conversations and friendship. As for the age concern, I do believe the age of consent is 16 across Canada (at least here in NB it is) so legal concerns shouldn't be an issue, but for any type of relationship, I personally wouldn't mind something like that, however, most people would probably find it strange and extreme :)

• you're not ready for him sweetheart, and you'll probably never be.

• You reek of pretentiousness

• Actually, I reek of fruity perfume, but hmmm, that's an interesting opinion that I deeply value for it's immense depth of thought.
      Pretentious :
      - Having or showing the unpleasant quality of people who want to be regarded as more impressive, successful, or important than they really are
      Here's the thing, you mentally incompetent freak. This word, as a descriptor, involves making unjustified/excessive claims, neither of which I do. Believe it or not, there are actually quite a few people in this world who enjoy being well read on important matters of the world. Some people who would rather greater their intelligence/intellect than their appearance/status.

• Thanks bud, I know.

What Girls Said 1

• I say risk it and go for a relationship. He sounds amazing and if nit ge sounds smart enough to stay friends If don't work.