Would you date a person who has kids?

I'm asking because I'm talking to someone who has kids. I don't have any and my family thinks it's a bad idea.

• Yes
  • No
I'm going to give him a chance. I like him and his children's mom isn't drama. His kids are respectful and he's open to having more kids.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 22

• I tried and tried... and tried... and it was always a disaster.

For one, chances are the ex will always be in the picture. So you'll potentially have to deal with him/her seeing the ex.

Then you have the fact that the single parent will need a sitter to have free time to meet up with you, or be handed off to the ex... and they may still be fighting.

• well if you are... its important the kid likes you
    really important, but you have to remember that you are not number one... the child is... and then you come second ^^
    its different for guys tho... women dating a dude with a kid have a harder time, because if the kid calls them mom...-_- ah crap. And since the kid might already have a mom in his life he likes -_- bigger problem has arisen. Usually when guys date a girl that has a kid its easier because the husband or "ex" is out of the picture

• lol i'd date any woman i want whether she has kids or not. but realistically speaking, and also because of social stigma in some cultures, dating a woman who bared offspring with another man previously is usually not profitable in many aspects and totally contradicts male ego. so most guys wouldn't. but personally... i would, just because i want what i want and how would i know whether or not i'm attracted to you without getting to know you first? she doesn't have to be perfect for everyone, just be perfect for me.

• I'd date a woman with children provided
    *-the children's dad has no visiting rights. I want to date a woman, not her ex and his mom.
    *-the children are at least some 4 to 5 yr away from hitting puberty.

• Thus I wouldn't have a problem either to date a girl who's pregnant and abandoned by her ex.

• I said yes. But I'm inbetween.

When I was a lad I saw an episode of a tv show once where a boyfriend to this single mom basically became daddy to this 4 year old kid whose dad took off before he was born. Heart wrenching. I am the kind of guy to get moved by that and think I could do that.

ITS FREAKIN HARD IN REAL LIFE. There is no newly weds! From the moment you're with this person you have more responsibilities than just making things good with your girl. Going steady with someone is hard enough without kids. My sister married a man with 3 kids, and she loves them, my whole family does they are great! But the old ex to this day makes their lives living hell. I don't know if I'd be able to handle that personally.

When it comes down to it though, I would not write someone off if they had a kid. But it's something to examine before entering the relationship. Are you ready for a kid right now? like you don't even get the 9 month grace period. Some food for thought.

• Yes, but I have kids too. There's no question dating someone with kids changes things a bit. Doesn't mean absolutely not, but does add compilation (harder to schedule things together, guarantees some interaction with ex, means you aren't the only one in their life... but let's face it, if the last one is your requirement, then you might want to do a bit of self reflection. Take as a whole, though, these things complicate a relationship.)

• Date, no. Fuck, yes.

• The question is, "do you want kids?"

Just understand they'll (the kids) always in the picture. So plan accordingly.

• If their kids are babies it's not a good idea unless you plan to marry them. If the kids are not babies it's a lot easier to deal with. I guess it really just depends on the relationship they have with their ex. If it is crazy be prepared for crazy times. If your a girl be prepared to watch your SO suffer from not seeing their kids if the ex has a wild hair up their wazoo. If your a guy run the first time you hear about how terrible the biological father is as one day you may be him to guy #3.

• I have tried in the past, and it just didn't work, so my answer right now is NO. However, as we get older, chances of finding people with kids increases...

• no she would be boring i guess

• No, i want a fresh car ;3

• I wouldn't, but I'm relatively young too. Still have college and some other stuff to go through, so kids might hold me back from dating someone.

• Depends on any man's preference at a certain point in his life whether or not he'll be okay with the fact. It takes a strong man to pick up another man's life and re trace some of those kinds of foot steps to make them better.

• I did. didn't go like I planned

• Yeah when I'm more financially stable

• I used to work with kids, so yes i would be cool with it

• I'm not raising some one elses kids, to hard for me... some people don't mind tho...

• It's nothing against them, I just don't think I'm mature enough for that kind of a relationship

• I just think its hard to step into the role as parent for someone whos not my own child

• Never. Only people who have to "settle" would date people with kids.

• Hel no why would you?

What Girls Said 21

• I would not.

• No. I don't want children of my own and I'm not keen on raising someone else's either.

• I don't want children myself, so I'd prefer not to date someone with kids. But if I did meet someone & really hit it off, I wouldn't let them having kids stop me from dating them. Though it be really tough if they had full custody.

• I don't want or like kids so definitely not.

• I think that any decision that has to be made about YOUR life should be based solely on YOU. Family may offer their input but should not be the reason behind a decision, or should anyone else for that matter.
    If you are prepared to accept a man who has children, then so be it. Careful consideration should be given though to what that will entail.
    The pros and cons of the decision should be considered in the long term.

• If you like this person.. why not try.. not all baby mamas are drama... if he's dating then hell make time for you... Its funny how some say they want a " new car', don't realize that everyone even people withouth kids are not " new cars"..;)
    Go for it just take of slow...

• No, even though single dads never have custody of their kids. Its still potential baggage.

• Considering I have 1 already I can't be a hypocrite..

• Yeah I would but if they expected me to be the new baby mama I'd have a problem

• Nope, I don't want kids of my own so I'm sure as hell not taking care of another woman's child.

• I answered no. Although when I'm older I might be more open to the idea.

• Yes but only if they were little, the mother wasn't invloved at all, and he wanted more

• I've tried but never again. I was more attached to his kids than him.

• I'm too young, maybe later, and even if I'm 30 I'm not sure

• I have before, and I probably would again.
    I'm not interested in being a mother myself, but one man I dated had two great kids and I became quite attached to them.
    I wouldn't turn down a good man just because he had children.
    If he was a bad father, I would.

• Nope. Mostly because I'm an 18 year old college junior. I need to graduate and get settled in my career before I take on that large of a responsibility

• Just because some one has a kid u should not discount them I was going to marry this guy I had I known a long time but his family knew I had a child and told him to get rid of me so he did just because of them messed up and another guy I dated started bidding that he was dating me after his family found out I had a child and then I just became his secret toy to play with when he felt like it again messed up just please give this guy a chance he could be the one I'm not saying it will be easy but mights be worth it

• i would never date a person with kids the kids will end up hating you when they are teenagers i know that because i have a step-mom

• I would date him or date his kids if he's not available

• No, it's a deal breaker. Kids complicate things and could be hard on the relationship.

• Neither to both