Dating someone...29 years Older than. You... opinions?

Honestly idc what people think it's only age. But for this situation i kinda do care. Im 19. He's 29. We met at work and yo. I thought he was about 32. But he looks mad young android has accomplished so much in his life. He isn't rich. He doesn't live in a big house or come from a rich family he's actually the exact opposite. Overall. We bonded really well at work. and he asked me for my # after our shift. Overall. I don't know age doesn't matter but yo... He's holder than my mom and like...4 years younger than me dad. That kinds freaks me out when i think about it that way like... how would i tell my parents LOL

So sorry typo. he's 49.*****
Yes sorry for the mis calculation. Overall. Yes he is 30*yrs. Older than me. And yes, age isn't the only thing taken into account. I just wanted today know how people see thus and if anyone has tried this. We haven't jumped the gun yet. So dw.

Most Helpful Guy

• "it's only age." Well, no. It's also a large power imbalance. The older partner (usually) has more experience, a more stable income, more established household, more communication practice, etc. And has probably had more relationships. In practicality, it means that an older partner can really f*** over a younger partner, because they can steer the relationship in a way that THEY want, don't have to pay as much attention to the younger partner, because they can give just enough to get what they want... And if things go downhill, they'll be able to pull out w/o too much trouble, whereas a younger partner might suddenly find her (or him) self homeless with most of her (his) friend network gone. That threat alone can have a big effect on the relationship. That *WORRY* alone can have a big threat on the relationship.

Now, I'm not saying "don't do it." My gf is 10 years younger than me (but she's mid-20s, so she's a bit older than you and has a bit more practice living on her own). An older partner can offer some great things - stability, more practice communicating, etc. But. It's really important to be very very careful and take things slowly and make sure that you keep your own support network! A support network independent of him.

Another good idea is to run him by all your friends (esp the ones whose judgement you trust) and your family (if you trust their judgement). And then *listen* (which is hard).

Didn't want to scare you too much, but didn't want you to go thinking "it's just age," because there's a lot more. Good luck!

What Guys Said 4

• Good thing for the update because I was trying to figure out how a 29 year old is 4 years younger than your dad.

Anyway. As someone older myself, I think there is something wrong. You might like him, but from his side it's pretty questionable. I don't like absolutes. I don't like to say "This is definitely wrong". So I just say it's very questionable for a guy his age to do anything with someone your age.

Yes, he can easily be attracted to you. Getting older doesn't mean he can't appreciate the beauty of youth. But acting on it is another matter. I just think there is something wrong with a man that age actually wanting to hang out with someone your age. He should naturally gravitate to people closer to his age. Or at least to people who are fully adult, out on their own, responsible for their own lives.

• ... we need to work on ure math skills 49-19=30... he's 30 years older than u... even at 29...29-19=10 years older... dating older men might seem a good idea and it could def work but understand... hell be an old man 1 day long b4 ure an old lady... hell die long b4 u do... your setting ureself up to suffer but if he makes u happy... age is just a number baby :P

• Uuuuhhhhh... I know they say, "Love is love", but my cultural prejudice just don't let me sit right with this.

Do what you want if it makes you happy, just don't get carried away.

• Love is nothing but a number and age is something that you do.

What Girls Said 3

• Chances are that the age gap is to big. Maybe you are the exception, but again your chances are slim.
    I would take things slow and not date until you know him better, and not tell your mom until things get serious. You added "LOL" at the end, makes me think you find the whole situation funny. That being the case, you have a long way to go before you can have a serious relationship with him

• Age is just a number. A few people out there don't age as fast as most people out there

• I think that's okay