Would you date someone who doesn't work?

Assuming money wasn't an issue. Would it bother you they don't have like a real job?

I'm asking because I met this guy while surfing the other morning and well we've been out on a few dates and turns out he doesn't work.
He got lucky at a young age in so far as being to sell some of his work for a lot of money and he has been living off that since and he says it's enough for the rest of his life.

I don't know it seems kinda weird to me, not having a job. He got a lot of degrees, a ph. D even, so he spent time on that. He says he travels a lot and when he sees interesting work he takes it but other than that he is just "chillin"

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends are they just lazy and living on unemployment benefits if so not a chance in hell. But if they can't work due to medical reasons and are healing from an injury then that is totally different. It is an issue for me because the family I come from we earn what we have through hard honest work I've been working and helping out the family since I was 13 years old while other kids were doing lemonade stands I was repairing and cleaning mold out of microwaves, fridges, ovens, deep freezers ect. I work for more then money though I honestly enjoy my job at the place I work currently its a great place good environment and good people and I enjoy going every day so even if I was rich or something I'd still work if not for the money then for the experience. Same with everyone else in the family both my grandfathers never retired one of them worked till the day he died the other is still working father, uncles etc all work same for me.

What Guys Said 7

• Tricky. How much money are we talking here? Just do some simple math about lifes normal expenses, rent/mortgage, taxes, utilities, car payment, groceries and so on. Then figure how much life costs per year and see if he does have enough. If he only has $100,000 or less, you will burn through that in a few years. The next thing you know, he is a bum and you are supporting his lazy ass.

• I haven't asked. Though he has a masters in Math, so I'd think he knows how to do the math

• If this person was a little older I could understand not working, but a young person would have me worried. There is certainly nothing wrong with not working if you don't have to financially, GOD, that is my dream! Because you just met him, it really isn't any of your business how much money he has. For a long term relationship I would need to know if he was financially stable. I guess time will tell.

• I wouldn't care. The only reason most people work is for money. I can think of a lot better ways to spend my free time than at work. Unfortunately I need the money.

• hahaa wouldn't bother me at all. more free time on their part :D

• Yes I would and I think that's what most people are striving for. Personally, I would still work, but not a 9-5.

• i don't work either

• Girls dont work that much they are always in some kind of school they say

• where do you get that from?

• I mean at a certain age that is kinda normal, but beyond that I think most would work. Do you usually date college girls?

• Yes but I dont go to College to meet them It could be anywhere like a drug store a place to eat the store and so on

• If money wasn't an issue, would any of us work? I mean, most of us get stuck with dull, dreary jobs, like living robots. Who would say, "I can't think of anything better to do than that job."

What Girls Said 3

• Well working is not just for money in my opinion. Money is important , of course. I perceive profession as passion as improvement opportunity. So having enough money, yeah that is great. But having a some kind of job ( not 8-4, 9-5 i mean) would be great for him. He would try for something. Effort and passion are great things to have in personality.
    I would encourage him to do something; it should not be some kind of regular job but can be anything.

• As long as he's independent its fine. If he's living off his family or something it would be a turn off.

• If I really liked the guy I'm your situation I would get to know him but that's it