She brought up her ex. Did I do the right thing in response?

First off, I've been back and forth with this girl and it's been super stressful but I fucking want her so I'll only listen to useful advice. She's the same girl in these threads.
www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1151641-she-s-so-fucking-confusing-what-s-her-deal-is-she-a-playerette
www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1149048-how-do-i-handle-this-woman

Anyways, the other day we we're talking on the phone and it was going good (she called me to my surprise). Suddenly she brings up how her ex has been trying to contact her this week. The talked over Facebook and had a conversation in person or over the phone (not sure which). I immediately showed my discontent to the whole situation. I let her know that I didn't want to hear about her ex because he was no concern of mine. She realized how bad it sounded and was worried that would stop talking to her. I told her I didn't plan on it, but that I had to go to class, so I left it at that.

Later that night when we we're texting, our convo went something like this:

Her: "Do you want to hear my problems?"
Me: "Tell me"
Her: "They're about my ex. You said you didn't want to hear that"
Me: "I'm not the guy to complain about your ex to. He is of no concern to me. You are.
Her: "But that's something that has been going on this week that I'm dealing with so it is me. Just kinda want someone to talk about it with"
Me: "I'm sorry, that won't be me. I've told you how I feel. That's a problem only YOU can deal with on your own, but personally, I think you deserve to be treated better. I don't want to do this if you're still involved with your ex. Do what you have to do"

I eventually steered the conversation away from her ex and toward a subject about me and her.

What are your thoughts?

• Yes, you did the right thing.
  • No, you should listen to her complain about her ex.
  • Other, comment

Most Helpful Girl

• your reaction is good, just be less agressive next time.

• I did come off strong, but I want to make my intentions absolutely clear in situations like this. Thanks.

What Girls Said 1

• I think you did the right thing for what you're looking for. But like was said before, try not to be so aggressive next time. You can get your point across while still being caring and nonjudgmental about the situation.

• Can you maybe give me an example of what a less aggressive approach would be like?

What Guys Said 0