Would you date a woman with a kid?

I'm just curious. I guess because my hubs and I are separating and I'm really looking for reassurance on this. I know it happens but does it take a certain man or is it a maturity thing?

Also, telling up front or do you wait to bring a kid up?

I'm not planning on dating for a while but I just want to be prepared.

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, implicitly insulting men who don't want to date single moms as 'immature' isn't a good idea.

No I wouldn't.

Your best bet is single fathers. In fact I'd be a little suspicious of a non-father that would date a single mom. Either he's not taking the fact that you have a kid seriously, which means either he doesn't see a future with you or he just doesn't care about your child at all. Or he just doesn't have much self esteem or ability to analyze situations. Think about it. If a guy was serious about the fact you have a kid and was happy with it and saw a future with you, why wouldn't he go for a non-mom and have his own kid with her?

Another plus for single dads. They have experience and skill

What Guys Said 14

• I've tried numerous times and gave up. The ones I've tried with have too much baggage and many of them would rant to me too much about their exes. Plus many guys are not comfortable with it since it keeps the ex in the picture. If the ex isn't in the picture it just means the mother is struggling even more which can make the guy suspicious as to why she's looking to date. It's a very tough road for single moms. Plus there's many of them who guys meet that'll easily make them paranoid of all of them.

Like one I talked to was an alcoholic who smoked a lot of pot and she was drunk on the phone telling me how she was clearing weed outta her system and when clear, she was reporting her ex so she can win full custody. Another one messaged me online and before even talking through there getting to know each other she already told me how she was looking to sue her ex. To this day I've only really dated one who seemed like she had her act together and it didn't last long.

With that said, I do feel that when women are in their 30's and so they're much less likely to be involved in these kinds of situations. I tend to notice that it's the girls in their low to mid 20's with this kinda drama. As guys get older if they're single it'll be harder and harder for them to find someone without a kid if they get into dating.

• I grew up with a single mom who dated while she worked, went to college for her degree, and also took care of me. I have dated many girls with kids and enjoyed their acquaintance. I did not meet most of these girls' kids until I had dated them two or three times, apparently until the girl felt I was okay to meet them, that I was the right sort of guy to meet their kids. I enjoyed meeting the kids and sometimes became fond of them. However, when these close acquaintances with the mom ended, it meant I lost more than one friend, just as when my own mom broke acquaintance with her male friends.

The best thing you can do, assuming your kids are old enough to understand, is to make clear that mom is going to meet a friend and go places where children are not allowed to go. If you establish a relationship, your guy is not an oaf, and you can trust him, it might be okay to introduce him so they can know who you are with. Make sure that your kids can contact you right away when they want, or else have a close friend or family member there with them while you're out.

Half or more of kids have one parent, it's normal. And if I'm an example of such kids, I can assure that there is nothing to worry about.

• I don't see why I wouldn't, just because you have a kid dosn't mean your not entitled to the same happiness childless people are.

• I would have no problem dating someone with a kid, I am doing now and although it does effect some stuff it's really not a problem. I would say you should get it out of the way early and tell the guy, some I'm sure won't be mature enough to handle it.

• Obviously it can make relationships more challenging but it's not like you're doomed. I have dated a girl with a kid years ago but I'm not that interested in it currently. If I met a girl I liked enough the kid wouldn't detour me.

Bring it up when you want. There is no rule. I think just some men are interested in it and some aren't.

• I personally wouldn't. Probably best to let them know early on.

• Most definitely

• never ever would i date a girl with a kid. tell them up front or after sex, dont go on a few dates then tell them before sex, that means he has wasted his time dating yoi

• Never. I even have a hard time imagining it

• Date and fuck but never cohabit with or marry.

• No, I personally wouldn't.

• absolutely yes I would.

• From personal experience yes i would

• No. Not on my bucket list either.

What Girls Said 3

• I dated a guy with a kid. I am 21 years old! But I was 19 when I dated him and he was 22 years old. He had a one year old. He wasn't with the mother since his baby was born, and so I took a stab at it, even though I was 19 and didn't want to play the "mom" role, but I really ended up being close to his child and even though I am not with him, I was attached to his daughter so I do hang out with him and his daughter sometimes. It didn't bother me that he had a child, it was more like "Am I going to be good enough?" So I think you are ok. Everyone has kids nowadays, I already have dated guys that have kids, and it doesn't bother me at all. I would tell it upfront, so they know if they are prepared to take on a daddy role, because your child is most important so yes, the guy should know right away, cause he needs to care for two people, not one :) Don't worry about it! I am sure you'll find a nice guy, and like I said it's the norm nowadays to have kids. I still date guys that have kids and I am 21. It's just when I get attached is the bad part, but it's ok. Take care.

• I just want to let you know there ARE good guys out there that will still love to be with you even though you have a kid. I am getting a divorce and I have a almost three year old. I am now dating a wonderful man. Who truly loves me. He is amazing with my daughter. He actually is better with her then her then her real biological father. So don't lose hope. You will find someone who truly cares for you and won't think differently of you for having a kid. It kinda upsets me how some guys just throw away single moms as not even a possibility. They not even giving some amazing women a chance. How does a child get in the way... they don't.

• Thank you. They are all a little depressing. I hope everything works for you!

• Don't listen to them fools. I hope everything works out for you too!

• Thank you!

• I would if she was a wonderful person and her kid wasn't a total asshole.