What's your 'number one hang-up' when it comes to life? Was it formed during childhood?

I mean by hang-up... what is keeping you from enjoying your life to the fullest? Is it a traumatic childhood, a bad experience when you went to college, or is it just your personality? As always, tell us below.

Most Helpful Girl

• Failure and disappointment.

I want to live life to the fullest but I`m afraid of failing, or disappointing myself/others.

I`ve always been compared to my siblings, my cousins, my friends, everyone around me... and most of the time it`s made me feel like a failure. Like I`m not good enough.

Everything I`ve wanted in life has never been good enough for my family, and other people around me. I know it shouldn`t matter, but it bothers me A LOT when it really shouldn`t... I end up thinking "what if I fail"...

So when I get the urge to try something for myself, all those thoughts get in the way, and I stop.

• NEVER let anything stand in the way of what you want in life. I hadta deal with that too, and it's debilitating! Again, don't let anything stop you from enjoying the life ya wanna lead!

What Girls Said 3

• I'm afraid to work really hard for something because whenever I put in a lot of effort, it never pays off and I'm sick of being disappointed.

• Damn. You gotta push past that, boo-boo. Caint be afraid to lose. That's the only way you will win in life... by being willing to lose, being willing to look bad- and daring to win. Period.

• Dasouthernicon asks for opinions, then insults people who give them? Classy.

Sometimes, a particular cause or idea simply isn't worth the effort. In truth, hard work doesn't always pay off as we hoped. So ivarei's comment is a valuable reminder to do a cost-benefits analysis rather than mindlessly working your fingers to the bone.

• Waka, that wasn't an insult... Sorry you saw it that way

• Feeling self-conscious about my appearance. This is due to my teenage years in high school I think. I got insulted a few times which just made me feel really self conscious. I worry too much about what other people will think and I feel like I always have to look perfect even when I just go shopping-and I'm always worried I look ugly and not perfect-it's ridiculous but it really affects me.

• I've had an eating disorder for a few years. It's held me back quite a bit, as I'm sure you can imagine.

What Guys Said 5

• why do you assume that many or all people have some hangup that keeps them from enjoying life to the fullest?

• low self-esteem combined with depression and shyness, yea its not easy but it could be worse I suppose!

• Trust me, you can push past it! It ain't ez.. I had quite a few hang-ups of my own in my youth.. It held me back so much. In any case, it all starts with a decision to be better. To live the life YOU wanna live. It sounds simple, but it's not ez.

• Once you get past my shyness I'm opinionated, I'm stubborn, I don't like to spend money, and I'm a huge pessimist. People always tell me I'm weird and that I'm too smart for my own good, which does wonders for my self-esteem, so I guess my personality is my biggest problem.

• Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It doesn't drag me down and keep me from living, but I detest the fact that I have it. And it likely developed when I was eight years old, which was the time my sister left the family for drugs/alcohol.

• I used to get abused by my mother pretty tramatically and regressed a lot of those feelings away when I was a kid to my teenage years. You would never guess it from me and virtually no one outside of my family knows about this. She made me feel very unwanted, not loved, and overall very ugly human being. She loved getting me to admit to all that. So I have a terrible time with the opposite sex. It is almost like not being able to swim, being pushed into a lake, and told the only way to survive is swim across. And I am for one not to take things too lightly.

• Thats harsh. It's not easy to deal with, but you WILL get thru it. Just never quit trying!

• Yes but I still will and do have trouble with members of the opposite sex.