Dating is like pool. You just start playing and figure out the rules along the way. What's a tip you learned you wish you knew from the beginning?

Hey guys, I'm Hunt Ethridge, the new Dating & Relationship Expert! I'm here to answer your questions and help us all be better daters!

Most Helpful Girl

• That dating is something to be enjoyed even if it doesn't work out, and that people generally aren't going to go out with you if they're not at least a little bit interested. My brother told me that a few years ago after I went on a date with someone that didn't turn out well.

• YUP! Life is all about experiences. Plus, you never know unless you try. But if you try to have fun doing it, you're the type of person that makes other people want to be around you.

• "That dating is something to be enjoyed even if it doesn't work out"
      (applause) Brava! Brava! (tossing a rose on the stage)

• Thanks for most helpful 😄

What Girls Said 33

• I'd say don't start a relationship unless you completely know and love yourself. Too many of my friends are so insecure, they end up getting involved with people who try to change and control them. You don't want to be with someone who has to change you, just to love you. Being alone is the best time to learn who you are and learn to accept yourself as you are.

It's cheesy, but my mom told me once in high school "You can't expect someone to love you, if you don't even love yourself" and I'll never forget it.

I don't know if my tip counts though, since this is aimed at experienced people and I've only had one boyfriend and I'm still with him.

• You are wise beyond your years missy! :-) Simple advice but very difficult in practice. I wish more people would realize/actualize this.

• Lol thanks :)

It is definitely hard, but not impossible. I was super insecure in high school, then after graduating I took a summer off before going to College (I called it "The Summer of Me" lol) and that was the best thing I ever did for myself.

• To not fall for the person quickly and get carried away. My worst mistake is always picturing how it would be to be with that person and what our future will be like, when in reality I don't know what he would feel about those things. I fell in love with an idea rather than a person.

• Me too exactly the same

• I see this a lot in my female clients. I have to caution them that the guy is still "shopping around" to see if you're girlfriend material while the gal has already started to think about how to introduce him to her mother. It's really hard to think straight when all that dopamine and seratonin is flooding our brains!

• Exactly, women fall in love much quicker than men. However it makes me wonder if men are then the ones who truly know what love is, as it takes them longer and it's rare for them. Because women fall in love so quickly and mostly, as I said, with an idea or vision of the future. I'm just rambling but it's what I'm staring to believe.

• What I wished I had learned?

Someone had said don't jump in and personally, I agree with her. I only had one relationship and that ended bitterly. I think you should at least know the person really well before you date them. I also believe you should know yourself.

As someone said before, someone can be really sweet with you but with other people, they can really be a big as*hole. My ex was like that. He was nice to me but hated my ex-"best friend." But in the end, I saw his real side and saw that he was just a big idiot (I'm serious, he was so stupid and it took me awhile to see that I was the stupid and blind one for dating him).

What else I've learned? Love yourself. Love yourself enough to know that you are better, That you deserve more. Love is supposed to bring you happiness. It's not supposed to turn you sour or bitter or change you into someone you don't recognize anymore.

Lesson number three? Learn to walk the hell away. And this is where number two comes in. I honestly think that you can't do three without two, (well obviously, that's why they're in that order...). You can't walk away unless you love yourself. You can't walk away unless you RESPECT yourself. How do you know when you can walk away when you don't know you deserve much more?

Lastly... see the signs. My God, if I could go back in time, I would never date that turd. I'm damn serious. They say never regret anything that ever made you happy. I was happy with him...

.. for like only three f*cking days.

I want to say to every girl (Or many) out there, if you feel like you should leave, get the *bleep* away from him. I've heard so many stories of regret from girls who wished they walked away because they had doubts before. Seriously, us women have something called intuition. If a dumba** doesn't deserve your love, or doesn't appreciate it, he doesn't deserve you and your presence.

• I love this comment!!! Good for you girl! :)
      "I was happy with him... For like only three f*cking days." Haha that made me laugh. I know the feeling I was only truly happy with my ex for the first 4 months of our relationship... Then it all went to hell. 5 1/2 years later I finally put myself first & broke up with the bastard.

• Wow, 5 1/2 years? I'm so sorry! That must have hurt...

and here I am complaining that i was unhappy with the fact that I should have left him six weeks sooner...

But I bet the feeling of leaving him was the best ever! (:

• oh and thank you for the comment, it was very nice !!

• Guys don't want to hear your life story, they want to know how the current you can make their lives more fun and interesting. Also, you cannot enrich their life if you have nothing in common, so they won't be interested at all. You can't force yourself to like something, so pretending to be interested in something to get his attention is a waste of time. You'd only be making him fall for a lie. When I stopped trying to be someone else and started being me, I not only got more dates, I made more friends. Confidence begets confidence.

• Something I learned from my last relationship is that you can't change a person. Something else I learned is that it is best to get to know a guy before you decide to jump, and that some looks can be deceiving. Just because they have a nice face to you don't mean they're heart is very bright. You have to get to know people and see if you two share anything in common before you decide you want to tie a knot. Cause even someone can tell you I love you even with a mouth full of lies. I would say the most important thing in a relationship is commitment, because you can have one person doing all the work and then your partner doing nothing. It is a relationship you both have to put "in the work". I have a problem with knowing when to walk away from a relationship because one time I went back to an ex that had cheated on me and I knew better and wish I had walked away sooner. I also learned that no matter how hard you try in a relationship it is best to let it go and move on if you aren't being treated with respect or if you are putting in all the work. I've decided to take a break from the dating pool and just focus on my studies and my schoolwork because I haven't found the right guy in my life yet to go further into a relationship with. I get attached to people easily and hurt emotionally, and I learned that it is best to get to know someone if they say they like, take time to think it through and don't be so quick to jump off the bring cause you'll just hit your head.

• you're only under 18 but you're so wise. Wow. :)

• @donut94 Thank you very much for the advice, I don't plan on dating anymore until college of course. I promise I won't ever make that stupid mistake ever again, at school he's always looking at me but I just look away. I feel like they are out of my league because I am very mature, and know what I want in my next relationship and I know what my ideal man should be like in the future. I don't really think HS boys know what a relationship is... I don't want a boyfriend I want a gentlemen. The highest i'd go for now its probably 18-19. I want to become friends with a guy first and then get to know him and go from there because that's another mistake I made with my ex. I'm done settling for less than what I deserve.

• What you said was absolutely perfect. And yeah no problem (: message me if you want more advice lol. I love talking about life and dating

• After knocking out all the balls you are always left with one.. There is always someone for someone.. 😏 Well you hoped so anyways, but i do believe in that..

• I like this! I totally agree that whatever YOU are, someone is looking for you. The more you disguise it, the muddier the waters become.

• Either someone is waiting for you, or searching for you as you maybe searching for them aswell, but you will only get to see them until all the balls are knocked out of the way.. Glad to see you agree 😏

• Definitely wish I knew that being alone is ok. I don't remember a year passing where I didn't have a relationship where I kept telling myself that my partner's faults were ok with me just so that I'm not alone again. I just recently got out of a violent relationship.

• I wish I had known that some people are bad and not meant for long term relationships. I also wish I knew that God would make me valuable and I would not need a human being to validate my self worth.

• That every date, and every relationship ends in one way or another, and the important thing is to focus on the good, and the positive things that happened on the way.

• Yes, and by treating each other with civility and courtesy you can remain on speaking terms if the relationship doesn't pan out.

• i wish i knew it would hurt

• Quite a lot, actually. I've only been in one relationship and I've learnt so much from it. We WERE together for 1 1/2 years, so I guess that's a good amount of time to learn about relationships. And besides, my best friend has been through some shit in terms of this, so I've learned through that, too.
    1. Not only does your partner need to be able to support you, you need to be able to support your partner. There needs to be a team effort, or your relationship is destined to fail. (An added point here- if your partner is sad about something, try to support them instead of getting upset and/or blaming yourself. They'll feel the need to support you when they already feel really shitty and need some support. It's extremely emotionally exhausting and will likely make your partner feel the need to hide their feelings in order to protect yours)
    2. Never settle. If you have doubts or think you can do better, or even have fantasies of being single again, it probably wasn't meant to be. You deserve the best.
    3. Be honest DURING the relationship. If you're scared you'll disagree, but something's bugging you, you should bring it up. Some fighting is healthy. In fact, no fighting at all is a VERY bad thing, since a lot can build up and after a few years, you can have a really big fight without any knowledge of how to resolve conflict between the two of you.
    4. Don't try to guilt trip or manipulate your partner into staying. Talk things out if you're scared things are going to end. If they've expressed a desire to end your relationship, respect what they say, it's probably taking them a lot of courage to say it. And just, really? Guilt tripping and manipulating is petty.
    5. Don't just assume you know them better than they know themselves (or act like you do). In fact, never assume. There are no guarantees in life.
    I guess it seems like a lot, but I really think these are some key aspects to a relationship.
    Oh yeah, and in terms of sex? No means no. End of story.

• Always be a skeptic. Talk is cheap.

• Excellent question! Id definitely have to say I wished I learned to not worry about my partners past. It doesn't mean anything, its about the future between us. He is not who he was before me :/ and thats a good thing

• Yes, and everything in his past, good or bad, has led him to you. So why fret over it?

• Ah very true indeed. If it was not for that past with all those girls he would of never met me. They are just a stepping stone in life and in a way I am thankful for that. :)

• Now, as for tips... I suppose I wish I knew yours back in middle school. I feel like I've missed out on a bit, being nearly 18 now and not having gone on a date in my lifetime. People take it for shyness, but I'm simply not interested in most guys around me.

• That's no problem whatsoever! The fact that you're already thinking about these things is going to be very helpful for you as you go forward. And don't worry, some guys that deserve you will eventually show up. You don't have to make concession yet at such a young age. (Also, I graduated high school a virgin so there's no rush!) :-)

• "I don't like the concept of "deserving", though - like a guy is a prize for good behaviour."

I dislike the concept of "deserving" with relationships, too. He did say "... that deserve you...," which means that in such a scenario, you are the prize, Slavanna.

• Hey, you're right, @Bluemax
      I feel dumb now.

• Trust no one
    My thinking people in general are good and aren't going to hurt you, well that just got me hurt.

• "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Yeah, hurt sucks but it's going to happen. You have to allow yourself the possibility to get hurt if you want to open up your heart enough to be loved. That being said, there'll be some doozys in your life. Best is to learn how best to get up after being emotionally hit.

• I've found if someone can't come through for you on little things, they will not come through for you on big things. so once someone has disappointed me two times, I'm done, I will put no more effort into that friendship.

• That men aren't women.

I know this sounds like I'm trolling but it is something that took me ages to fully understand. It helps explain why men go mia from time to time, why they text the way they do etc

• To not disclose information all at once. I'm pretty open so I would tell them everything about my life, but I realized that it's important to slowly get to know one another and build trust before you tell them everything about you.

• Labels and stereotypes aren't always true, and sometimes, they need to get to know you before they hear the label or they won't be able to see past it. I had to lean this hard lesson too. I hate being lied to because 9/10 times it was done to spare my feelings, and I always got hurt worse when I found out. So I formed a habit of being too open to compensate for the men who lied all the time.

• Go with the flow.

• I still don't know anything lol. Every guy I have ever liked has rejected me, or what the guys call "the friendzone"

• Never get married!

• Trust is the most important quality within a relationship , well, to me it is anyway, do you think its naive to trust 100% do you think its possible for two people to be together for the rest of their lives?

• Trust is key! I'm a married dating coach, so you know that my wife and I have to trust each other implicitly! It is never naive to trust. Just don't trust BLINDLY. Also, I am very trusting (and hopefully trustworthy) so I take people at their word. And yes, many times I have been hurt or walked on because of it. But you know what? I'd rather go through life happy, trusting people (who for the most part return your trust in spades) and occasionally getting hurt than to go through life cynical and mistrusting just on the off chance I might get hurt.

Is is possible for two people to be together for the rest of their lives? Absolutely. However, most people underestimate the amount of work that it takes, thus, they want out when it gets too difficult.

• Thank you, i do have a problem with trust, im very honest and trusworthy but most people i know haven't been to me, suppose the only way to know if you can trust someone, is to trust them, i find it hard to let peoe in my life, my barriers are always up and dont know how to let them down, r

• That everything doesn't last forever and you can't always belive someone when they say " I love you" it's more then likely infatuation.

• Fall in love with actions, not words.

• Really get to know the person

• That dating is the fun, light thing that comes before a relationship.
    In the beginning, I felt attached to men I was just "dating" and it caused problems.
    While I'm still not into casual dating much, I've learned to know the difference between "just dating" and "really seeing someone".

• That the white balls the only one that's supposed to go in xD

• Dating is like a skinned up bloody bait waiting to be dipped into a shark pool (not the billiards one you got it mixed up)

• To stop worrying about not being pretty enough compared to other women, & to just do the best I can do & trust that I will find someone whose happy with that.

• Yup. There is always someone bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, better looking, etc. Don't try to compare yourself or you'll go crazy! Be happy with who you are.

• just eat the ass ahhha

• That someone has got to set you up for a guy to be remotely interested in you.

• I don't know anything about dating or men you can say am the most virgin girl in everything :'(

• Well, would you like that to change? If so, email me (you can find my email on google) and we can start talking.

My first question to you would be "Are you actively doing anything to change this situation?"

• To be honest No I don't, my situation is Kinda difficult start with controlling father ending with social fair I would like to Email u and I would like to change all this because I can't live my whole or the rest of my life alone...

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 28

• Just meet people in general and get out there. I feel like many people are hiding themselves inside too much. They don't have hobbies and therefore don't know what to talk about.

Also, get "burned" as much as possible and just get stronger about it. Find out the answers to what you want asap and don't play "rules" and "games" in general and be genuine.

• To cherish it all, its a life experience, even the bad ones are fun... and there are no right or wrongs when it comes to dating... If I knew that when I started dating, I wouldn't have wasted 100's of hours wondering "what happened?" Its a lot more fun this way.

• Man, spot on. Everything you've experienced has lead you to this. If you change anything, you might not be here now. So love/appreciate it all, warts and all. Also, what is the rapture of joy without the keen edge of anguish to compare it to?

And also, understand that, if everything goes well, you'll only have ONE relationship that "works out." Please don't deny yourself all of those other growth opportunities and life moments!

• 1 Do not lie to your date.
    2 Do not ignore your date when you are amongst others.
    3 Do not embellish your personal credentials- (it's really a sign of insecurity)
    4 Give your date sincere compliments.
    5 Stop making sex your prime objective. Dating is for two people to socialize and get to know one another - ABOVE the waistline!
    6 If a date does not go well, make an effort to part company amiably.
    7 Treat ALL women with respect - someday you may be working for HER!!! 😃

I got more but let's leave it at that for now.

• What I wish I knew when I was younger: on a date, don't try to be someone I am not, in order to impress her. If I have to present a false self in order for her to like me, then she is not the one for me. Eventually, I met a woman who liked me and loved me just as I was. I could relax around her and not worry about trying to impress. We have been married for over 30 years.

• #facepalm! This is the main thing I try to get across to my daters, especially online. There is someone out there for you! The more you disguise your true self, the more difficult it's going to be for that person to find you!

• Congratulations Pelleas!
      Keep sending the good vibes to our young people. We don't want them to repeat our mistakes. (40 years married next summer - to the SAME woman!)

• It's good to be a little reckless, completely daring and yet be the gentleman at the same time.

• That some people are just broken and it's not my responsibility to fix them.

• Honestly the one thing I'd go back and tell myself from the start is not to listen to anyone when it comes to cliché relationship advice. All the tips and advice are only right part of the time, there is no big secret to successful dating and all too often the ones giving the smart sounding advice are single or in bad relationships. Sure talking to an external party will get you better insight as they are detached but it doesn't mean they knew it would definitely work.

It takes personal experience and trial and error to make a relationship work. Whether it is overcoming the mistakes in the same relationship or applying your experiences with better judgement in your next relationship. Claim your flaws, embrace those mistakes and use them to make you a better person - only then will you start making a relationship that holds.

• This is why I F@#$%^*# hate pick up artists or people telling you, "I've got the one true proven method that will get you dates!" Fuck them. Everyone is different, every situation is different. I try to give my clients the tools to be adaptable in situations, not memorize things to say.

• Even cooking recipes cannot be told to someone and guarantee they will make it right or even like itif they do so when someone claims they know a foolproof technique they just look silly. Years of teenage ignorance is spent listening to the media and friends and most of those talking have nothing to say worth listening to. Even if a technique existed why use it, why be average and use the standard to make an average relationship when you can fall over your own feet and stumble into the kind of partner who smiles and helps you back up.

• That what girls say they want isn't what they want and that the last person you should ever believe when giving dating tips is a woman. I wish I knew that I my expectations were too high and that I shouldn't expect grand, life-changing moments or anything to fall into place like it was "meant to be." In fact, I wish I knew not to bother to be honest. At least not for any of the girls I've met thus far.

• I wish I could take more risks to meet women, simply enjoying the process and not too result-oriented.
    And also, biggest part would be neediness and desperateness, 100% NO.

• Yeah, learning how to let go and let yourself take risks is a huge part of learning. I will say, that we are drawn to people that look like they are having fun. So that's one of my main focuses as a coach, to reconnect people with that fun!

• That you might not always get the chance to sink your balls, no matter how much you try!

And it's easy to snooker yourself!

• stay out of the fucking deep end until you know how to swim.

• Ha, yeah, I have some guys with this problem, though it's a better problem to have than doing nothing. But they want to go right up to the "10" and expect it to work. The most PC way of checking them is I say, "Okay, go right ahead, but do you think you earn/deserve her our of all the other people here?" I don't advocate settling, but also, you've got to learn the skills in order to be equals!

• (from my perch atop the diving board) spot on.

• Rejection is the norm. Most the majority of people, most requests for a date end with a "no." Most first dates don't lead to second dates. Most second dates don't lead to relationships. Most relationships don't lead to marriage.

Out of curiosity, what qualifies one to be a "Dating & Relationship Expert" on GAG?

• Oops, I meant, "*For* the majority of people."

• Totally! In fact, if things go well, only ONE relationship will "work out" in your life.

I have been a dating coach for 8 years, teach it, certify other dating coaches, am part of four dating companies two of which I helped found, have dozens of published articles on dating and met and married the awesomest chica ever!

• Look at someones actions and not their words. Trust your instinct, its usually right.

• Never wait too long to ask a girl out, when I was younger I took too long and they would find another guy. If anyone reads this make your move FAST.

• How about vice versa? I think I'm taking too long seeing him and not asking him out yet, BUT ain't it crazy to ask him out? I mean if he likes me he would have ask me out already. I'm afraid he finds someone else to but is there anything I can do? I let him know I like him, isn't the ball on his court now?

• I agree with you. This one guy I'm sure has liked me for about four years and he still hasn't made a move. I'm getting tired but I'll wait I guess. And make another move... sigh

• Thanks Asker. One more question, how do I tell (or hint) him I want an exclusive relationship with him without asking "Will you be my bf?" and scare him away?

• I wish I knew not to be so freaking shy. Now that i approach it with more humor and confidence, the dating pool rocks.

• People would rather be around fun, confident, interesting people wherever they are! You don't have to look like Zac Effron or Vin Diesel, you only have to make the other person smile!

• Good for you. Remember when it comes to dating we all share the same anxieties. When you allow yourself to relax and just be yourself you become more approachable to prospective dates. Wear a smile and stay above the fracas and you will wind up on top.

• Thanks! Thats helpful to keep in mind!

• It's gonna be really difficult to start a relationship with a friend, especially if they aren't attracted to you, and thinking about it makes it worse.

• "especially if they aren't attracted to you, and thinking about it makes it worse."
      Alas, it almost always proves impossible. Perhaps it is time to move on, my friend.

• Yeah I don't know, I just hit random slumps like when I posted this or what I posted about. I get real upset sometimes but I have no reason to. After all, I've talked with her about it and she said she'd give dating with me a try, she just doesn't have the feelings like I do. So I've got the chance waiting for me if I can show her that I'm boyfriend material.

• that i can treat women like normal human beings instead of unapproachable goddesses and to not pretend to be their friends when really i liked them because you will be sending yourself to the friendzone

• Don't over analyse the other party's social media updates. It could have detrimental effects as well as positive ones depending on how you interpret it, double edged sword if you ask me.

• It doesn't matter how hard you try to make something work. If the key doesn't fit, it most certainly won't unlock the door, no matter how hard you try to jam it in there.

I have a lot of difficulty finding women I connect with. If only I cared about just the sex, I think I would have a more enjoyable time. But I don't, and that doesn't seem like something that will ever be me.

• I really like your comment and how you used the analogy to locks and keys. It makes me think about my ex and how hard I tried to make it work between me and him. I always tried to get our relationship together and he never even tried and your analogy really explained what I was going through and was unable to put into words. So thank you!

• You're very welcome. I'm so glad I can help.

• Making girls laugh even if theyre laughing at you

• Not getting serious, I am still learning this
    trying to

• I wish that someone told me not to believe anyone and its all a big game. And just to relax and have fun still i cant.

• I wish i knew that some girls can be just straight up evil

• Man, agreed. They look at you like a little toy and want find out what all your buttons are and do.

• My personal mantra is "Everyone has something to teach me. Whether it's for 30 seconds or 30 years. It's my job to figure it out." Thus, I like to meet new people. So I am always putting myself out there in situations like that. And after EVERY one, I learned something got a story, heard an opinion or something that has made me wiser, deeper, more interesting. So even if I goes HORRIBLE, I have a new story to tell my friends and laugh about.

Basically what I'm saying is that you have absolutely nothing in the world to lose and everything to gain. It's all about the mental attitude. And if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. What did you actually lose? 15 seconds. You lost 15 seconds, that's it. Anything else is in your mind. That doesn't mean you won't feel it, but understand that it's your head messing with you.

• Thanks il keep note (:

• "You're ugly and you should give up now"

• It's not like pool. Didn't you have a father figure in your life, or some older brother? Someone to at least teach you the rudimentary basics, so you didn't enter the dating scene like a complete spaz?

• For the most part, don't take advice from straight women. Men and gay women are the only ones being honest with themselves about what women really want. The idea that women only care about the guy being nice and treating them well keeps boys from developing the skills needed to attract women on a sexual level.

• Rule for younger self to know: JUST JUMP THE FUCK IN

• Actually conceptualizing and understanding that failure is a necessary part of growth is one of the most difficult things to teach my clients. You HAVE to get comfortable with failure. You never have to like it, obviously, but you need to understand that is how we grow!

• Never said you didn't, and I actually agree with you there. But you have to actually experience it first instead of shying away from it ;)

And speaking of conceptualizing things, that's another thing I learned: avoid the PUA's and self-proclaimed gurus that have those grand theories and routines about how girls should be handled.

• when ever i go to a club i have a lot of fun but when it comes to meeting girls i find it a lot harder to smile because i get nervous! ughh... practice makes perfect when it comes to dating and i think it takes abit of experience to put those feelings aside.