Men, would you get into a relationship with a feminist?

I personally would not but I want to see what other guys think

• No
  • Yes
It's just feminists are usually obnoxious and in your face, and bitter and hypocritical

Most Helpful Guy

• No. I like shy girls. besides have you ever heard the phrase, "never send a women to do a man's job"? Feminists are too materialistic anyway. They're always walking around thinking that they only deserve the best and the rest aren't "real men". They really need to deflate their egos before the government gets sick of them and does something drastic.

What Girls Said 15

• i consider myself a feminist. and i think i would make an awesome girlfriend/wife. believing in equal rights between men and women does not mean that my boyfriend/husband wouldn't be the center of my universe. he would be. and i would do everything in my power to make him happy and help him reach all of his goals. however, for me to be able to love someone to that degree and to support them 24/7, i need to feel respected and appreciated. i don't think that's asking for a whole lot.

• Well feminists don't make me feel respected or appreciated at all as a straight white male. >.>

• That's not feminism, that's basic human dignity and courtesy. Feminists don't have that

• Well said and exactly how I feel. I just don't want to spend the energy defending and educating.

• My boyfriend is a feminist and asked me from when we were first flirting if I was because he wanted someone with similar views. Since we view each other as equals it means we have nothing to fight about and have never even had an actual argument, we are both flexible and great at making compromises because of this also. I feel respected and make sure I make him feel the same way, I really don't think I could ever truly trust someone who deep down thinks of me as less than him it makes me feel queasy just thinking about it. Then I see other straight couples in a constant power struggle always fighting and arguing and I can't see myself ever choosing that over the peace I have in my life now. People assume that Feminism means "female supremacy" because they refuse to educate themselves on what it really is. It has and always will stand for equality and if you can't look past the name you are just reading a book by it's cover and choosing ignorance and stereotypes over fact. Since the beginning of the movement and the fight for suffrage there have been male feminists. And they are not the "spineless" men that ignorant people accuse them to be many are successful and influential people such as Patrick Stewart, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Hayao Miyazaki, Peter Gallagher, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo, The Dalai Lama, Barack Obama I could go on! Any ways it isn't a fight against men and never has been there are issues concerning the well being of men brought up in feminist articles all the time as well it's not a war. You also must remember that the few extremists claiming to be with every movement do not represent that movement. I'm not christian but that would be like saying The Westboro Baptist Church represents all Christians! which is ridiculous!

• The word feminist itself is sexist to begin with

• You don't automatically have to get so angry, we couldn't have an intelligent conversation without you getting angry? I didn't come here to rile you up, just to state my opinion and my personal experience yet you get angry before you even take the time to educate yourself on the issue. why get angry with surface information? If you looked into the movement you would see all the men's issues feminists also work towards solving. This wasn't a personal attack.

• I wasn't angry and didn't get angry
      regardless I'm not going to argue. The day I'm going to respect feminism is when it doesn't exist. Now egalitarianism I can get behind to certain degrees.

• I believe in equal rights which makes me a feminist. I can assure you I'm not obnoxious, bitter or anything of what you have experienced feminists to be like :) I wouldn't want to be that way to you, not because you are a man but because you are a human.

I was an intern about a year ago at a marketing office and decided to empty the dishwasher when I was finished with lunch, just a nice gesture. I was the only female at the office. These guys from the age of 30-50 watched me, 19 years old, do this with my back turned at them and then one of them is saying. "Yeah, we are all watching you." I ignored him and the rest of them, all laughing, he continued with "you are really good at that", the laughing increased and I was starting to feel annoyed. When he said "you should do this all day. And let the men do the hardwork." I got furious. I stayed completely calm and neutral and just turned around and asked him what he meant. The rest of the guys burst out laughing while he turned red and didn't know how to answer. That guy had a 17 y/o daughter and a 15y/o son..
    I dreaded going to that place as they always made such remarks that not only made me feel less worth but also like an object. I had a lump in my stomach every single day.

I think that we have been going the wrong way about feminism though. It's not a fight for the women against men, it's a united fight for equality for both men and women, against society and its norms. Because as it is now the world isn't equal, men aren't able to cry without being told they are sissys, they aren't able to be feminists without being gay or looked weirdly at.

For the guys and girls that voted "no", if you have the time I would recommend watching Emma Watson's speech about feminism! :) Who am I kidding? Everyone should watch it lol, it's a great speech!

• Well, I'm a feminist, and I don't see how that's a problem. For one thing, I wouldn't be judgmental. My boyfriend could be a Brony, feel insecure about something, like to cuddle or crossdress and I wouldn't care. That's who he is. He wouldn't have to pay for every meal either, and we might have some interests in common.

The only thing is that he shouldn't develop issues if I do end up earning more than he does. Or leave me to do all the chores. Or try to force himself on me when I say "no". But considering that these are things HE wouldn't want to go through either, there shouldn't be a problem.

• I would also like to add at this point that I find the American perspective of feminists as man-haters puzzling. I have a grandfather and father, whom I feel concern, some respect and affection for. I have male friends who possess the power to break my heart. Most of all, I have a pair of younger brothers, whom I love so deeply that my very person sometimes feels in danger of cleaving into two. I am not sure how my being a feminist takes away from any of that.

• The man-hating stereotype comes from certain radical feminist movements during the second wave, mostly political lesbianism (which is actually pretty homophobic when you look at it) and lesbian separatism.

• Well, the rotten apples don't equate the bushel. Just like all Muslims aren't terrorists and all white Southern Americans aren't gun-toting homophobes. Surely more people are discerning enough not to subscribe to the stereotype.

• I'm not a feminist but I would only date men who are feminists

• That's a funny combination. May I ask why?

• I understand. Thanks for the response.

• I wish that people dislike opinions would write why they did so :/

• Apparently some don't mind as I have managed to date people.

• Yes, I'm in a relationship with a feminist right now. And my last two boyfriends have all openly been feminists.
    Also your reasoning is weird. Anyone can be ride and obnoxious, not just feminists. Thu can be religious people, ghetto people, trashy people, people of power, uneducated people. See not just feminists, but anyone

• I wouldn't get into a relationship with a man who wouldn't get into a relationship with a feminist.

• I dont think they would want to get into a relationship with you to begin with lol, reread your sentence

• It hasn't occured to you that that was exactly my point? ;) I know very well what I said.

• You beat me this time hah.

• Depends. Those extreme feminist that bash men usually don't find men to date. Not to generalize everyone but logically u will not date men if what u do is bashing them all the time.

• laughing :D i find it funny

• I am neutral to feminism but I dont like those who are out to bash guys. I believe in fair opportunities and feel today situation is so much better in developed countries. Developing countries need lots of improvements, if the feminists want to fight for women rights then it is a good move. somehow i still dont understand how to achieve equality in both genders, i dont believe it can be done.
      men shouldn't be afraid unless u sense the girl is extreme case.

• My honey doesn't mind so am happy about it hahaa!:)

• Your comments on feminists are very much generalizing.

• It would be ridiculous not to be. Any women who considers herself equal to that of her male counterpart is a feminist.

• I mean, thats fine. We're not interested in men who don't like feminists either so it works out. No one is missing out on anything then. Winning. ^__^

Don't worry about it. Why focus on women to whom you're not attracted? I wouldn't want a guy who's just not into me sitting here thinking about how not into me he is and asking other guys if they'd be into me. Own your preferences. If you don't like feminists, you don't like them. If you're okay with that... well, merry Christmas to you, motherfucker.

But I can relate from the other side of the aisle. Couldn't ever date a man who had a problem with feminism. And anyone who really gets to know me would lose interest quickly if they're that guy, as my feminism values are very important and very central to the way I think. I'm very political and opinionated. Its just not going to last if you don't have compatible values. So find someone compatible instead. We're all in that struggle together, looking for people who match up with who we are. Nothing new.

• What do you consider a feminist?

What Guys Said 39

• Yes. Why not?

Feminism is just about equality between the sexes.

It is not about man hating.

It is not about hairy armpits and vaginae.

It is not about being lesbians.

Feminism is about equality between the sexes. Plain and simple. Some woman take that idea and twist it for their own selfish and hateful agendas. Similar to what happened with Marxism and how it was twisted by evil and close-minded people to become the Communism we know today. We must not let the few bad eggs spoil the whole bushel.

• Omg, exactly. Finally,.

• Oh my gods. How many times do I have to say it. Since you can't seem to understand, I will make the test larger so you can see better.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES. I AGREE THAT WOMEN ARE NOT PHYSICALLY EQUAL TO MEN. FEMINISM IS ABOUT SOCIAL, ECONOMICAL, AND POLITICAL EQUALITY. For gods sake I have said that so many times. Feminism has nothing to do with the physical equality of women and men.

• physical attributes effect ALL of those

I'm done with you

• I've been in a relationship with a stereotypical "feminist" before. It was less than desirable.

I'm all about equality and letting women do what they want, but this girl was so in your face about it that I couldn't stand it. Ugh. I'd try and talk about what I liked or disliked or stuff and she'd bring up statistics about the gender gap, sexual harassment, etc. etc. as if I didn't care about it or if I was an misogynist myself. It sucked because I really liked her and she was really cool and independent, but she was militant about it.

As far as I'm concerned, I do my part as a feminist by:
    1) Not treating women like shit or objects and letting them be themselves
    2) Supporting my girlfriend/women in whatever they want to do as long as they don't force me into positions I'm not comfortable with.

In the end, I believe women can do anything men can do. Doesn't mean they'll succeed, but they can try. Sometimes men don't succeed. That's life. Give everyone their fair shot to prove themselves.

• Of course I would. I go by the textbook definition of feminism, which is to say that I want my partner (and all females) to have equal rights. It's that simple, really.

In the bedroom I would like to exert power and dominance, and I'll be completely in charge. In other aspects of our life we would be equals, and she would have my complete and total support in doing whatever she wants. Her happiness would be of utmost importance to me.

• As long as a person is not obnoxious, in my face, bitter, and hypocritical, it's fine. If a woman's feminism causes her to act like that, then no, I would not date her. If she were feminist in the sense of desiring equal treatment, and able to discuss it rationally (not someone who wanted to censor various parts of media or who advocated manipulation of data), then it would be perfectly fine and maybe even desirable.

I would not date someone who thought Bioshock was sexist, or that Mrs. Pacman was a gender stereotype and unacceptable, or who wanted to ban certain words. But I don't think most feminists think like that. Every noble movement has a vocal group of idiots.

• I'm putting no based on my experiences with feminists.

If she was a "coffee shop feminist" I'd probably be ok with it. Ironically... the more into the topic they are, the worse they get. I've seen things like "fuck the patriarchy" as a Facebook wall post and I think they have mental issues. So basically... I couldn't deal with them really. All the rape hysteria promoting, bullshit statistics they keep convincing themselves are real, and overall man-hating I couldn't deal with.

I got one at my job and she's totally nuts. Ironically, all her agendas work against her. She tried telling her coworker that she can call me a secretary (as a joke) but we couldn't call her a secretary because it's sexist due to the fact that she's a girl. She's the one who will pull out the "It's because I'm a girl" card on things that have nothing to do with gender. She tries to start arguments any chance she can get. She tried debating a coworker and accused someone of "attacking her" when this coworker was merely disproving her viewpoint. She is even accusing another coworker of "getting away with stuff" because's he is a tall white male. She also has a huge attraction to womenly looking men from what she's told us about her crushes and she's pushing that onto her 3 children (she's in her lower 20's and has 2 different fathers out of these 3 kids), and is dressing one of her boys up in bikinis, tutu's and skirts. She even started trying to have an argument over the job's dress code not allowing for super short shorts.

• Yes I would. I'm not into traditional gender roles so I think I'd find that more with a girl who is at least kinda feminist lol

• A real feminist, most definitely. She would not live with double standards. She wouldn't feel as if I had to pay for everything or then she could just smack me whenever she wanted. And would actually have a level head.

One of the feminist that spout anti male comments all the time, hell no! But they are not feminist, they are men haters.

• Casually date one for fun, sure. A serious relationship, nah.

• It actually would require for me to date a chick.

• Nope. It wouldn't work out.

• The word itself is such an umbrella term that has different cultural and ideological connotations. It's more akin to a group of philosophies like "conservatism" with a common goal in mind than a coherent political ideology. If I disagree with something "feminist" that my girlfriend believes in, I'll discuss it with her rationally with the express goal of seeking to better understand gender in society.

• Depends on the type of feminist and what her particular beliefs are. Sure there is an official definition but a lot of people label themselves as feminists and use that label for their own agenda.

• No. But egalitarian girls are sexy

• My views probably line up with @DodgersGM.

The question is almost unanswerable though because 'feminism' is such a wide spectrum.

• I wouldn't consider getting involved with anyone who ISN'T a feminist.

• Hell yes. I'm so tired of all these girls with conservative beliefs.

• no i wouldn't really like it. its kinda like confidence for me, if a girl is a feminist then they feel weak about being feminine or else they wouldn't feel the need to be all preachy and stuff. when someone has confidence and can prove they are confident about their gender then they dont need the feminist bull crap. its like if i was a scrawny weak guy and started a scrawny weak guys movement to make it okay to be scrawny and weak... not relating beign scrawny and weak to being a women just metaphor i guess for people who are not confident in themselves.

• ... I'm almost speechless because... that's just... words are failing me.
      I'm not a feminist, I don't hold many of the mainstream feminist beliefs. Despite this however I actually UNDERSTAND what they're fighting for. It's isn't that they're insecure about being feminine. I don't know where you got that. It's that they want to be treated as an equal to men. That's it. You can be a feminine lady and still want equal treatment as a man.

• like telling people they have to respect u isn't cool, getting people to respect u without complaining and whining is. ya dig?

• No. Women were created for men, not the other way around. Feminists have things backwards. Men carry the seed (sperm), not women. Without us, they wouldn't be able to get pregnant, so how on earth are we equal to them? I apologize if I come off harsh but it's the truth. With that being said, I have great admiration for the few modest women left who actually do know the role they were meant to have in society.

• Men can't procreate without women either so your argument is just stupid O. o

• No, I think YOU missed the point. Men carry the seed, meaning we're the reason why women are able to get pregnant. The fact that women carry the baby for 9 months AFTER means absolutely nothing. The truth is no one is 'mixed', that's a lie. You're whatever your father is, and the Bible proves this. Unless you can prove to me that women carry the seed, and that they're more instrumental in creating the baby itself, you're in fact the stupid one. Don't come with emotions, come with facts.

• What kind of feminist? Does she want to be equal, or does she want to get even?

• As long as she isn't like liberal arts major type of feminist, I wouldn't have an issue with it at all.

• at first it would be fun to prove her wrong but overall, no. She wouldn't last with someone like me. To manly for her. she is better off with a female.

• I believe in equal rights for both genders and no defined "gender roles" yes I would date a feminist if she is for equal rights.

I don't want to date a Nazi guy hating fanatical feminist.

• I would not get in a relationship with a girl who is anti-feminist. That would be really ignorant and stupid of any woman and I don't care for idiots.

• I would love to. We would be equal in both aspects of our life ;)

• Yes i would i dont like women who agree on everything with me they are boring

• Considering my own views line up with a lot from certain feminist ideologies, yep.

• Judging by your update, I think what u really mean are pseudo-feminists, a true feminist simply wants to be treated with respect and dignity as a woman and not be undermined in terms of abilities. Also, don't expect double standards from her in terms of your pasts.
    If she is a real feminist, hell yeah, she is a keeper.

• Hell no! Lemon sucking misandrist Marxist bitches who are mainly dykes.

• An actual feminist who is vocal about her political views? No. Can't be dealing with constant whining about how she's being held back through rape culture, patriarchy and the gender pay gap.

However a lot of women describe themselves as feminists when they don't hold modern feminist views or have any part in feminist movements/organisations, they mistakenly believe anyone who thinks women should be allowed to leave the kitchen is a feminist.

• More from Guys
    9