Would you date a narcoleptic?

Hi! That's me! Only, it's not like the movies. I have vivid nightmares, sleep paralysis, and exhaustion that comes on rather quickly sometimes. I don't just fall asleep when someone's talking to me, but I might fall over if someone tells a good joke (but it's kinda funny when that happens).

Is this something that would scare someone away? And when should I tell someone? First date? Second?

What if it was like the movies? Would you then? /curious

Most Helpful Guy

• Why wouldn't I?

• It just... could get tedious trying be with someone who can't sleep through the night and gets really tired during the day. At least that's what I'm afraid of.

• It's alright , not like anyone in the modern world sleep well anyway lol

• That's true, I suppose. Thanks. ☺

What Guys Said 8

• Wait, so you actually fall asleep at a heightened emotional event?

You are SO not sitting behind the wheels.

Other than that, it's a bit of a nuisance but I don't think it's unendurable. I can see it in front of me - "would you like to marry me?" *GASP* /falls asleep

Basically, sure, although if you are really restless at night we would sleep in separate beds, haha.

• XD No, it's not falling asleep during emotional events. That's the stereotype. It's just muscle weakness, so falling over does not equal falling asleep. Usually I just get shaky.

• Well last time I heard, narcolepsy causes some abnormal response in the amygdala which triggers sleep due to heightened emotional responses.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zVCYdrw-1o

• It can, but that's not usually the case. There are more mild cases, and cases without cataplexy at all.

• Yeah why not, i dont sleep great either, i can't sleep without music and occasionally i get mild insomnia

• i dont see why not, you sound cute

• Sure, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

• Probably not, because if she fell and accidentally hit her head and dies then I'm suspect number 1, it also sounds like a lot of responsibility to catch this person before she falls or keep a eye on her just in case...

• Also what if I'm carrying you and some dude thinks I've drugged you and I'm trying to carry you home n rape you... It just causes to many variables that I can't control...

• For some reason, in my experiences, people don't question... Lol.

• Well if you fall asleep during the movies and he doesn't know what's going on he might think he is boring or something. You can tell it on the first date, it shouldn't matter if he likes you anyway.

• gosh no you would fall asleep everytime and I think it's nonsense to date snowwhite

• Can't it be cured?

• No. There's no cure. Just management. It's a lifelong disorder.

• oh sorry 2 hear that.

• Nah, don't be. It's embarrassing at first, but it doesn't define me. In fact, it's kinda funny sometimes (apparently I act drunk when I'm sleepy). ☺

What Girls Said 1

• If you were a guy, I would date you lol/