What Are Your Views On Marriage?

I am 23 years old, and I always notice that people a few years younger than me are getting married so quickly, only to end up divorced in a year or two.

I also see older people getting married as well, and their relationship eventually crumbles and they get divorced as well. All of my friends parents (except for 2) are all divorced. Everyone on my mom and dad's side of the family are all divorced (except for them)... but my parents have hinted at splitting up before when my brother and I leave move out for good.

Anyway, what is the point of marriage? I just feel like people get married for "show". Weddings are expensive and most marriages don't last anymore. People get divorced, get into a new relationship, get married again... and then get divorced. Does that really make any sense? I don't think that love should be defined by marriage.

Personally, I don't want to get married. If I find a woman I care about, I wouldn't mind just being boyfriend & girlfriend for life or until we break up.

When you love someone, it's not the marriage that defines it. It's the little things you do for them that show how much you care!

Do you want to get married? Why?

Do you not want to get married? Why?

• I Want To Get Married Some Day
  • I Don't Want To Get Married, BUT I Want A Partner

Most Helpful Girl

• I want to get married. I think it's very important to know your spouse frontward and backward and inside and out and right side up and upside down before getting married. I think a lot of people like the idea of marriage more than the actual act of marriage. I think they get whisked up in the romantic notion of marriage and don't really stop to make sure they really have what it takes to make a marriage work. They dated a year and got married? Oh good, please tell me how much you can get to know a whole other person in 365 days.

I think marriage takes a lot of patience and understanding and I don't think that a lot of people have enough of either of those things when they decide to get married.

People are like books. You can't know what will happen just by reading the first chapter. You need to read the whole book. Then you reread it and learn new things every time you read it. I read somewhere that it takes 3 years to really get to know another person. Why would you marry someone you didn't really know?

What Girls Said 9

• Yes I want to get married but people shouldn't get married if they have issues in the relationships some feel that marriage will fix it or things will change and get better over time so not true what ever problems you had before you get married are still there some people dont keep the spark alive and let it die. Others change and then notice they outgrown each other and want diff things after all you can change in time. It a lot of work even more so now that your married. Some people stay in a relationship because they can't bare to be alone and afraid they can't find someone better

It a risk people take nothing is grantee. All you can do is try to make it work and enjoy the moments

• It depends on the culture that you grow up in. Nobody in my family or extended family is divorced and all the adults in my parents generation were virgins when they got married. I'm 29 and a virgin and up until the age of 28 / 29 I had no interest in getting married because I did not think I was ready to be a mother. I still don't believe I'm fully ready but I think someday I will feel more confident about having kids. I based my romantic decisions on the stability, confidence, reliability, honesty, and friendliness of the person - not on how attractive or "interesting" he is. I believe this is the reason people are getting divorced - they think with their heart instead of thinking with their head.

• Erm, I'm not sure I want either of those choices, unless I can be with my best friend, but that's never going to happen, so yeah. No marriage, no partner.

• Honestly, the idea of marriage has been destroyed. Its about how superficial stuff rather than love. I don't want to get married.

• I don't think I'll feel compelled to be married. To me it's just a slip of paper.
    however, when it comes to legal stuff (financial and medical stuff) i can see why marriage is the better option.

• you get married to have kids, start a family unit, its a strong nesting instinct.

• But you don't need to get married to have kids and start a family.

You can be in a relationship with someone, have kids with them and raise a family without having to get married.

• I'm getting married in February.

• I don't know at the moment either way.

• I mean I would have to find someone I love first before I would know whether I would get married or not.

• Marriage isn't something I'd try to force or rush. I'd have to be really sure about it and I would have to be in a relationship with the person for a while before I considered it.

What Guys Said 1

• To me it's not really important.

I've got through life so far on my own so I'm sure I can get through the rest on my own.

If a woman comes along then great.