Why can't I attract girls? At least those around my age?

I'm 21 and I don't think i'm ugly. My friends would make fun of me by calling me a pretty boy and i've had cute girls and even teachers tell me that i have a very attractive and warm smile. But yet, i've never had an experience in which a girl has liked me and i've known about it. My friends would always attract the girls without saying a word when we go out and meanwhile these same girls would completely ignore my existence. I'm a fairly shy guy around peopel i'm not familiar with but once they get to know me and i open up to them, i end up in the friendzone. It seems like the only type of girls i attract are 12-15 year olds. The girls in this age group would be trying to flirt with me and hitting on me and although its nice as it means i'm not ugly, its kinda frustrating that they are not a few years older

Most Helpful Girl

• When I was around 9 there were a few boys that liked me and I never knew until it was 3 years later. Maybe they like you but you just don't notice? People are very afraid of rejection. 12-15 year olds (people my age lol) are generally more confident because they didn't face rejection - people that are older, like 21 year olds, had faced rejection in their teenage years and might be a bit more conscious about showing their feelings. It might also be about how you behave. If you're shy at the start the people might take lack of eye contact as dislike - they might think you don't like them so you're not looking at them.

Try smiling and looking at girls you're interested in straight in the eye. It might help. (The phrase 'pretty boy' kind of made me curious about what you look like lol).

Remember: how you see your behaviour might not be the same as other people see it. What is shyness can be seen as hostility. Smiling is the best protection against having your emotions misread.

• you're probably right. i am pretty shy and don't look at girls i find attractive as i think they'll think i'm some sort of wierdo. In terms of being called a pretty boy, i don't think i'm good looking enough to be called that but that's just me. Plus it's only guys who have called me that. Girls just say i have a cute smile

• haha, you seem to know your stuff.

• It's interesting to research :) I think confidence is the key and eye contact is one of the most important things. When a guy looks me in the eye it makes me feel a bit attracted to him. One of the reasons why real-life dating is better than the net.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm a attracted to personality and the vibe a guy gives off. I use to be the same way. I was shy and deff not an ugly girl but guys never seemed to talk to me. They would smile but I'd get all nervous and look away! Then I finally opened up and starting showing me and my personality. Now I have no problem! Its practically the same with me. If a guy is shy most of the time it comes off as stand offish or I think he has a girlfriend.

• What do u look like

• Personality, maybe you need to take care of your physical appearance (wash your face, perfume, comb get an appropriate hairstyle...)...

• I don't think its that. It's prob to do with my shyness as the girl below said

• and on first look, i don't look like the sort of person you would want to approach because i don't usually smile

• I don't smile either, but because is normal to people from my country

What Guys Said 3

• I attract the teenies too. They are awesome to have your way with.

• try to improve your personality.. i guez there is where u r lagging behind

• I don't think its that. It's prob to do with my shyness and on first look, i don't look like the sort of person you would want to approach because i don't usually smile

• well then smile

• attitude toward girls matters a lot.