Would you forgive an emotional affair?

Would you forgive somebody for having an emotional affair? No sexual relation involved... Only feelings...

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends
I am talking about a full blown emotional affair

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't know the feeling inside of him.

What Guys Said 4

• So they felt something, but were able to resist the urges and not act on their feelings? I would not even consider that an affair. They can't help their feelings. All they can control is their actions. And all they can be judged on is their actions.

• What is considerate an affair to you? If they declare their intention to stay together and declare their feelings for one another would you forgive your partner if you find out?

• What if they were not up front when you first found out but then started being honest later on.

• That would put me in a difficult situation. Honesty after you are caught is not honesty. If you are caught with your hand in the cookie jar, it isn't honesty to say "I am going to get a cookie, ok?" You cannot deny it, as the proof is right there. For there to be an honest or dishonest action there needs to be a choice. And that means there needs to be the reasonable expectation that the person will be able to get away with the dishonesty. Otherwise it isn't a choice. You are not a good person if you are only being good because you are being watched and will be shot if you do not comply.

So, if they were only being honest because they had been caught, I wouldn't be able to trust them any more. At that point I would probably be in a position where I may forgive them, but I would leave them. They are imperfect, and make mistakes, so I would forgive them for that, as I would want to be forgiven for my mistakes, but I would not be able to maintain a relationship without trust.

• No. Loyalty is something I not only expect, but demand, in a relationship, especially given that it's going to be expected of me in return.

If things are so bad between us that I'm not fulfilling your needs, then we should have been talking about it long ago, and if we couldn't resolve it, we should have broken up. And if we haven't, then at least do me the courtesy of breaking up with me before pursuing a relationship with someone else.

• That's the thing.. I'd forgive a physical affair. Not an emotional though.

• Why? What makes it different?

• With personal experience, no. Sometimes emotional wounds are worst than physical.

What Girls Said 6

• an affair is an affair. the point is that there is disloyalty there. and that is unforgivable. i deserve more than that.

• no... nononononononono NO :x that's horruble.

• By emotional do you mean just love or crushes too?

• Both

• THANK YOU @Zendrya for being the rare species of woman on this site the logical type.

• haha @nicko2552 no problem :p I try my best :p

• I'd much sooner forgive a physical affair. Sex is cheap.

• Nope. It's happened once before and there's no second chances with me.

• It really depends on what you mean by emotional affair.
    I have best male friends. I'm probably as close to them as I'd ever be to a lover, but I wouldn't consider it an emotional affair.

• Friends are just friends not feelings of being together involved, right?