Guys or girls would it be a deal breaker if someone you liked had a mental handicap (bipolar, anxiety etc.)?

I'm just curious. I suffer from bipolar and anxiety and it has effected relationships, how about you?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes well i have the same mental health disabilities i feel it causes me to be rejected

• Yeah I definitely feel you, its affected my relationships a lot

• My bf is in the hospital right now, he's gonna be gone probably for 3 months but he's doing it because his dads giving us a house and he wants him to be completely well first... even though he's completely fine already. Its actually kinda cruel in a way.

• Oh sorry about that i hope things get better for you both

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, it would be a deal breaker. I've never dated a bipolar, but have had a few friends who were. Be friends with them could be challenging, one stopped taking his med because he wouldn't accept that he was bipolar. He became one scary guy. Mood changes, talks of suicide, manic laughing. I could only imagine how difficult it would be to date a bipolar. Anxiety can be just as bad.

• Is she going to regularly be screaming, crying, throwing things, hitting, locking herself in the bathroom?

• depends on the handicap. i. e schitzophrenia - yes, a deal breaker. nymphomania - not so much..

• Yeah schizophrenia is actually the only one that really turns me off because I had a very very bad relationship with a guy who was and he was physically and verbally abusive.

• It depends on the condition and how much it affects the person. Also, the person with the condition should realise it isn't always as easy to handle certain situations.

• It all depends on the severity of the condition but no I would not rule someone out if they had a mental issue. No one is perfect.

• Everyone is so far from perfection they're perfect. That's what I say.

• Necrofilia. Though I'm not sure that's a handicap... (That's not the only one but it was the first one that came to mind. Really it would depend on the severity of the handicap and what they're doing to combat/deal with it.)

• Yeah that's definitely a no go. I knew this guy that was into it... needless to say I never dated him.

• My girl has anxiety and although its hard to deal with it sometimes i still love her and its nothing we can't work past

• It really depends how she deals with them

• Thanks, I'm just curious.

• As long as they're medicated its usually manageable.

• Aslong as the woman have at least decent control it's not a dealbreaker at all! Only thing that would worry me a bit is the bipolar causing her to stay pissed or angry for small little dumb things for a long time, which I have experienced in the past.

• I care whats on the inside so no I would still like them

• Depends on how severe it is and how it affects their daily life routine.

• Damn don't look like I'm getting a girl. cause I got anxiety and other stuff

• I have bipolar 2 disorder, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, and I suffer from PTSD... If I can find love anyone can. The right one is out there.

• Aspergers anxiety ocd

• Like I said if I can, you can. My bf has a lot of the same issues, u just need to find someone who can relate to you like I did.

What Girls Said 8

• Bipolar (not sure which one)
    Social Anxiety
    Generalized Anxiety
    Borderline Personality Disorder
    EDNOS - Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
    ADHD

That's what I've been diagnosed with and it sucks ass. It definitely does not help me in relationships because then get huge anxiety and insecurities about myself but my bf still likes me (don't know why). My boyfriend has epilepsy and brain damage so he's not the best communicator nor does he do all that well in school but it doesn't turn me off. He's a great guy regardless of his disabilities. He's just misunderstood a lot. I won't judge someone for having problems because I have my fair share of them too.

• Exactly me and my bf both have a lot of issues but it helps us connect. We understand each other completely, sometimes we just give a look and know exactly what it means. We're like on a whole different level with how connected we are its crazy... I think our disabilities really help in that aspect. You take the good with the bad.

• It depends on whether or not he's managing it or wallowing in self misery. As someone who has struggled with depression and an eating disorder, I do not look down upon mental illness at all. However, I cannot and will not be around someone who isn't taking the steps necessary to get better. Not only will they be unhealthy, but the entire relationship will be as well.

• Exactly, with the proper help its manageable...1 in 4 people suffer from a mental disorder. I don't like the wallowing in self pity.

• My ex has (suffers from) Asperger Syndrome, Selective Mutism, Social Anxiety and Social Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder)

• Not at all. I have BPD (diagnosed) prolly comorbid with bipolar (undiagnosed) and I like guys that are a little fucked up like me. I relate easier, and tbh I enjoy the whirlwind

• Yeah my bf suffers from a lot of the same problems, I need someone who can relate.

• depression has to be the worst. I have had really bad depression and still struggle with it everyday. My fiance has depression but in a different way from the military. It can affect everything from eating, sleeping, to sex.

• Yeah, I have been hospitalized many times at a couple different hospitals, its an everyday struggle.

• ugh its terrible. I went to the mental hospital when I was 15 almost 16 and been on 2 different meds. Nothing seems to work out.

• Not at all would it be a problem

• I have severe anxiety, I'm agoraphobic, I have some psychological trauma I'm dealing with, and I have depression. although I'm 18 and have yet to have a boyfriend I still think it can happen. As long as you are aware of your issues and are seeking help to manage them, it shouldn't ruin your relationships.

• No. I have it so it shouldn't matter.