Is it weird to only want to date for marriage?

I've never dated anyone but I've suffered through heart break and I don't ever want to feel like that again.

Most Helpful Guy

• As much as we don't want to get hurt, whatever we do, there's risks and gains. Life's full of gambling. Its not wrong to have marriage in mind when dating, but it may definitely send insecurities or even steady signals to another. Falling in love needs to be done with vulnerability and fearlessness.

Anyway I totally disregarded the plain truth. there's nothing wrong with having wants and needs when seeking a life-long partner. You have one chance (to most) and you want to make sure your investment pays off for a lifetime ten-fold.

What Guys Said 10

• No absolutely not! Actually that way it won't hurt either of them.. Relationships for a time pass is different and according to me useless.. It is meant to be either long term and both should be quite serious about it..
    From what you've written, i think you're sensitive when it comes to relationships and that's actually good.. If one becomes very casual then things don't work.. Very sorry to hear that you went through so much.. Now its your turn.. Live life and choose wise..

PS: You're very beautiful.. (sorry couldn't stop myself from saying that)

• It's probably not the norm but there's nothing wrong with it. It's your romantic life, you can do what you want with it. I probably have the same goals so it's not just girls (although maybe it is just me).

Just so you know, IMO, heartbreak is much better than a loveless marriage where you hate each other.

• Absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'd say you were more right than most others :). Don't be afraid to take a chance with a date though, you never know what you might end up finding.

Good luck

• I'm in the same boat... so I don't think it's weird. Dating for me has now become a tedious adventure... just want to meet someone and settle down with them.

The problem with me is that I have met some flaky girls that on the surface seem cool... but when it comes down to it don't want to commit to long term. But with that said... All it takes is one so don't give up!

• No not at all

• No.

(filler, pilar, miller)

• Well actually back in the olden days that was the whole point of dating, to find a wife or husband. Nowadays though it's all about getting laid so you can have that instant gratification. Kids don't have the gumption to get married nowadays.

• No its not

• Marriage is a legal construct. If that is all you want from a relationship, then you're a worthless partner.

• lol worthless partner because I only want to date someone seriously?

• "Marriage itself doesn't mean shit. If you wanted to date to find love, happiness, a confidant to travel through life with, someone you can live and laugh with, someone that will be their for you and help keep you going then cool. Marriage doesn't have a thing to do with all that though."

Marriage is what you make of it. If to you, marriage does not mean that list of things you just named, so be it. For others, it does.

• Getting married doesn't guarantee you have any of that.

What Girls Said 8

• not at all. those r the intentions i have.

• No it's not weird at all to date with marriage in mind. How else would you get to know the other person? Being hurt is part of the risk you take to love or be loved by another person.

• No it's not weird at all. I don't want to become a serial dater who just does just to have someone for the time being and not think about whether this person could be marriage material. I have been in a few long term relationships and obviously I'm not married I'm single. When I choose to date again that is what I'm looking for as well.

• Thats my approach. I only date someone if there's a long term goal there. I mean, things might now work out. Break ups happen. But that just means you move toward your goal with someone else.

• Yea it's a high risk investment. Explain how do you suffer heart break if you never even dated a guy?

• Not weird. When I go into dating, I like to see him as long time partner.

• You = me. Weird or not im not dating anyone unless they are serious with me.

• How can you know you want to marry him, if you haven't dated? What if you don't like him after a while? You don't wan't to be stuck in a love less marriage. Heartbreaks are terrible yes, but they are necessary.