Why was he so rude and hostile when we are usually friendly towards each other?

There is this guy that works at my gym and even though I'm pretty shy I am friendly with him. Weirdly enough we live in the same apartment complex and occasionally bump into each other in the lift or out the front. He always says, "hello." and smiles and is friendly.
Last week i bumped into him as he got into the lift in our complex. There was only one stop so convo was short but friendly. He smiled and asked me how i was and it was very pleasant.
Yesterday I dropped a sheet off the balcony and it landed in his backyard. When i got home me and my male flatmate looked over the balcony and saw his friend.. So my flatmate called out to him and asked if he had seen the sheet. He said yes and said it was fine if we come down and collect it. Anyways i went down with my flatmate and my neighbour opened the door. Inside sitting in the loungeroom was his girlfriend and another couple. He barely acknowledged my flatmate and just handed him the sheet. So my flatmate was trying to be friendly with him and i was standing right next to him. My neighbour was so rude! He could not have been more hostile! It was like he just wanted us to go away and just wasn't interested in being friendly at all. My flatmate asked, "So do u know what time it might have fallen down?"
And my neighbour replied, "No idea buddy!" like really condescending.
Whilst standing at the door my neighbour refused to acknowledge me let alone say hello! He gave me a half-smile right at the end b4 he closed the door.

6 months ago I had to move apartments (in same complex). He saw me moving boxed and even offered to help me. He told me his apartment number and to give him a buzz if I wanted his help. So I just don't get why he is now so hostile

Most Helpful Guy

• He is trying to keep your and his friendly relationship on the down low and didn't want his girlfriend are your maybe boyfriend to become jealous and start drama

What Guys Said 1

• He probably didn't want his company to be interrupted by anything or he was in a bad mood. Even then, he could have said it in a polite way.

What Girls Said 1